Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bearbubbacowboy

Has anyone ever used Red grout??

bearbubbacowboy
15 years ago

I have a piece I want to grout RED. Not the brick red but the lipstick or true red. Has anyone ever used this color? If so is it a true red after drying? If anyone has I would love to see a picture. I have one piece (trivet) done now and ready to grout and another piece (blacksplash for kitchen) that I have about ready in my head to start. Please let me know...Thanks, Cathy

Comments (7)

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

is it a color that you would purchase or mix colorant yourself?

I've tried for red before, used rose and brick colorants and red paint... its still looked rather bricky - tomato soupy which I figure was a function of it being a cementious product.

I'd bet the best way to get good red is to do a color wash after the fact

• monzamess
    15 years ago

I could be way off base here but it seems to me if you can get white grout, then you can have any color grout light or dark by adding tint to the white... ??? If you're seeking a very particular tone you might need to experiment.

• bearbubbacowboy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nicethyme--beautiful piece. Thanks for sharing...I too have used the brick red but have a test trivet, (hopefully pic will attach) and am wondering about the lipstick red grout. I lightly coated the trivet with red paint so I could see how it would look. And I really like it red..but was just wondering if the red grout is a real true red? Maybe someone has used it. Thanks much, Cathy

Here is a link that might be useful:

• bearbubbacowboy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Nicethyme, I forgot to ask, what's a color wash? Sounds interesting........Cathy

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

yeah that would be interesting in red or even a harvest gold. If I remember right someone here found a good fushia grout at a thrift - maybe it was Jane - she's away right now though.

color wash is watering down some acrylic paint and painting it on after grouting - it soaks into the grout and wipes off the tess. the amount of paint to water determines how much coloring you get. I usually test it on my left over grout to see how much paint I want. it definately improves your options

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

I had a very nice red grout that I used on a duck I mosaiced with chinese plates(Called him:Peking Duck)lol! The grout for that was sanless grout YUK!!! but sure looked good! Unfortunatly, I don't have a pic, and the duck didn't last outdoors(He was papermache) and sealing the grout with grout sealer doesn't work to keep papermache pcs from going soggy...ewwww. I have also painted grout to colors that just cannot be found in grout colors....

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• phish_gw
    15 years ago

It came out more pink than the red I was hoping for. Also, the grout ended up being very loud. But if your piece has smaller groutlines than mine did, it will be less of an issue.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor