Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
waterproof mdf question

Posted by concretenprimroses (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 25, 09 at 7:46

Hi, I'm told that mdf is used a lot for mosaic, so I'm hoping you can answer a question for me. On hgtv's colorsplash David B. used "waterproof" mdf to make some outdoor painted flowers. Is this a new product, different from regular old mdf? Will it really last outdoors? Link below to pic of the flowers.
tia
kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Colorsplash painted outdoor flowers mdf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: waterproof mdf question

News to me - doubt that's possible - it's makeup would be like a sponge outside. Although one could cover it w/waterproofing substances, it's still wood, which w/eventually break down.

o

Ya, that's news to me if they make it for outdoors...but now ya got me curious...I gotta go find out!ha! Canada is behind with stuff that You guys get. We don't even have a good source for that stuff/cement board with the foam inside yet.

o

It's known as MDF MR, 'Moisture Resist' in Australia.
Been available for a couple of decades but is not for outdoor use. We used it in top end kitchens and dental cabinetry, the company I worked for wouldn't touch the regular MDF in kitchens.
MDF as we buy it from the hardware store didn't take off in the States for a long time because of the Formeldyhide content. The Americans couldn't convice the customer that the product is safe to the end user. Unless it's sawn up and and the dust is inhaled, it's fine.
I tossed all the building safety stuff I had before I left Australia but Laminex Industries and Formica, the forestry division, another name I think, used to have some info.
I don't know if the bonding agents have changed but MR is available in Nth America, it's a bit coarser than the Aussie stuff and is tough to cut without a power saw. Don't hold me to this but I think it is a Georgia Pacific product.

NB. IMHO, it took Aussie and UK carpenters/joiners on TV to get it on the market over here! I had to special order the stuff when I built my desk in '97.

o

Weathertex signboard.Used outdoors for signage.

Durable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here