Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosaprimula

a complete disaster - suggestions, if any?

Campanula UK Z8
10 years ago

Hello, never even knew this forum existed but now that I do, I have a query.

A very lovely old stained glass window broke, leaving the entire leaded framework intact with not a shred of remaining glass in between the leading. Is there any way I can use this, maybe just set it on a piece of clear glass and fill in using glass paints?

Obviously, I know nothing (although I did a stained glass course 30 years ago) but would really like to be able to salvage something from this disaster.

Comments (8)

• texaswild
    10 years ago

Why not use the clear glass and fill it in w/stained glass instead of glass paints. I've used the glass paints, and wasn't pleased. After many coats, there was very little color.

• silvamae
    10 years ago

The shop where I buy supplies (Blue Moon Glassworks, Austin, Texas) routinely repairs old stained glass windows. Is there a stained glass shop near you?

• Campanula UK Z8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I could possibly get it professionally repaired but it would be utterly beyond my budget since it is even harder to cut glass to fit exactly when the lead has already been cut and soldered (I would have thought).
    But thanks anyway. Am resigned to saying goodbye.....but am really not looking forward to crumpling up all the leadwork.

• Campanula UK Z8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I could possibly get it professionally repaired but it would be utterly beyond my budget since it is even harder to cut glass to fit exactly when the lead has already been cut and soldered (I would have thought).
    But thanks anyway. Am resigned to saying goodbye.....but am really not looking forward to crumpling up all the leadwork.

• silvamae
    10 years ago

Campanula, are you saying that ALL the stained glass is gone, leaving ONLY the leadwork? If that is the case, I would cut a piece of clear stained glass the size of the window and use GE Silicone II clear to glue it to the leaded portion and all the way around the outside edges. After it was totally dry, I would flip it over and mosaic using beautiful transparent or translucent stained glass pieces. This would be a fabulous project and it would be economical to do. You could buy the clear glass sheet at a stained glass shop or perhaps at a windows glass shop or hardware store. Then you could mosaic using colored stained glass bought from the scrap bins at a stained glass shop. I would give it a try!

• Campanula UK Z8
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Silvamae - thank you - this is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for. Every little piece of lead is completely intact and every bit of glass shattered into a zillion bits......so yes, I really wanted to salvage something out of disaster. Even better, the window was destined for a high wall in my converted horsebox - as it is way above eye level, it would stand scrutiny as it will only really be visible from the inside (where it is all about light). I do believe this project might have legs.

• silvamae
    10 years ago

Yes!

• Calamity_J
    10 years ago

Work in progress pics plz!!! ;-)