Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamasusanna

Sunflower WIP

bamasusanna
15 years ago

This is a sunflower I've started for a local show.

Done on a cabinet door, the background is made up of 5 different colors of blue, some irridescent, and some beads.

The middle of the sunflower is made from chip beads of onyx and tigers eye.

Of course this is due Jan 13th. I gotta get to work!

click for larger image

Comments (22)

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Well just look at you!!! The perfection on those cuts, colors, and placement is BAMA wonderful. The leaves - the veins, the wavy backgroud, the petals, seeds, mixture. Well, you and NT just knock my socks off w/every project. Doncha just LOVE the cabinet doors for substrate? I gotta couple in the garage, but no time lately.

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Beautiful job. Like sunflowers. Using cabinet doors is a great idea.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

6HRS!!! YOU are a MACHINE!!!! Gorgeous! Love the colors! The onyx and tiger eye chips are so great with this! They add the perfect accent/touch! What color grout are you thinkin'?

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

done yet? LOL

its awesome, I don't even need the flower - the background dazzles me!

the real question is, where in the heck do you all find cabinet doors? I've been looking everywhere

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

Beautiful!! I love sunflowers, bought glass to make some just haven't had time.

• bamasusanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

NT, you might try a Habitat for Humanity store.

Jane. I haven't given much thought to the grout yet. I'm generally a gray grouter though.

• nanatricia
    15 years ago

Hey!!! that is looking good !!!

• gcpommom
    15 years ago

That is really pretty. I am always so impressed with your mosaics, you do wonderful work. The flower is gorgeous, as is the background.

• bamasusanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Update!
    I finished cutting and gluing today!!

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Gorgeous! Looking forward to seeing it grouted!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

OH Bama!!! LOVE the background!!! Gorgeous!!! You and Nice are blowing me away with the opus you are using!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!! And it's so perfect...sheesh...I could NEVER make the lines so perfect!!!

• carolann_z8
    15 years ago

Wow...that is so cool. I hope to be able to do something like that one day.

What did you use for glue?

• bamasusanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks yall!!
    I used MAC glue.
    Now I'm having second thoughts about grouting it at all.
    Hmmmmm.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

I KNOW!!! I am second guessing grouting it from the very first moment I looked at it...maybe not grout....

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Oh to die for. Everything about it is GREAT

• becky_ia
    15 years ago

Bama, to be perfectly honest, it doesn't need any grout. I am afraid if you grout, you will lose all the bead/detail in this piece. It is beautiful! Your work is meticulous!

becky

• texaswild
    15 years ago

I agree w/BECK - this doesn't even NEED grout. It's so beautiful, BAMA, as all your projects are. Absolutely amazing.

• bamasusanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I grouted this with sable brown. If you had seen this in person, you would've seen the glue, pencil lines, etc. that needed to be covered!
    Some of the beads lost their irridescence,revealing the amber glass underneath. I actually like they way they look now, a but more antique.

• becky_ia
    15 years ago

This is absolutely one of the most beautiful pieces I have ever seen! I wish I could see it in person. I love anything with sunflowers...you did a marvelous job.

becky

• meadel
    15 years ago

What beautiful eye candy Bama ! That flower just pops and the background is gorgeous .

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Give yourself a holy dawg snot or two, it's beautiful!

• Dottie B.
    15 years ago

Wow...that is really beautiful!!!

Sponsored