Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sabrinacarr

Mosaic on glass adhesive quandry

sabrinacarr
15 years ago

I finally figured out the design for my glass pendant light fixture. The only other time I did a mosaic on glass piece that was as curvilinear as this light shade I was using a quick drying super glue-like adhesive. It was messy and smelly and I would rather not do that again. For glass pieces I am accustomed to using Weldbond. I love the stuff. But on my light shade the glass pebbles slid off the bottom half. Now, I wound up having a swath of glue on my lamp shade from the pebbles that slipped off. I was able to affix a pebble to the area where there was dried glue with no problem. But I'm worried that this might have been a fluke. So, finally, here is my question: what do you think about painting the entire surface of the light shade with Weldbond as a primer? Do you think the other pebbles will stick as well as my one-off test? Or should I just suck it up and use super glue to place the rest of the pieces? Due to the size and shape of the light shade, it is problematic to position it in such a way that the steep curvature is at an angle that would prevent the pebbles from slipping off. Picture a glass bowl that is 22 inches across and 6 inches deep that has been turned up-side-down. Thanks for your suggestions!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz