Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First mosaic stained glass project

Posted by laurastheme (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 30, 10 at 23:01

Several months ago I was given boxes of stained glass pieces. I've been so busy with other projects that I haven't played around with a mosaic yet, but am getting anxious. It seems to me that most of you use thinset or GE silicone for the adhesive. I'm taking a poll before I start the project. What adhesive works best for you and why? Do you use adhesive on each piece or do you cover the whole surface, then apply the mosaic pieces (on small projects, of course)? What's best for GOG?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First mosaic stained glass project

I use GEII or Mac glue. Both have proven to do the job for me, so do not chance anything else. Good luck.

Kat

o

Here's how I understand it. Thinset is used as adhesive for outdoor projects, for example, patio tables and birdbaths. It can be used to adhere glass to anything, as long as the light is not going to shine through.

It will not work for GOG if you want the light to shine through the glass. For GOG where you want the light to shine through, then GE Silicone II Clear for windows and doors, or MAC glue, are the two best choices, as Kat said.

o

I use GE Silicone II clear for Wondows and Doors too.

o

I use weldbond and Mac for flat indoor work, thinset when my substrates are cement or for outdoors or for leveling tess. Polyseamseal for gog or 3D substrates or leveling tess. I try not to use silicone anymore

o

Check out this article

Here is a link that might be useful: Glue

o

Thanks to all of you. I just finished reading the FAQS page and still nervous about starting. If I use GE silicone, which I've used for all my glass garden art, and I get some on the surface between the mosaic pieces will the grout stick to it? Or should I be careful not to get any between the pieces?

o

I used the thinset for my cement turtle outside. I used thinset for a birdhouse and for a metal watering can. Today i finished a wooden bowl and i used welbond. The thinset was good for really holding on vertical surface. I like to butter my pieces. That means using a knife and spreading on each piece. I was busy over this snow weekend. I hope to grout 3 things tomorrow.

o

grout is not repeled by silicone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here