Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindiloo_gw

? 4 becky_ia re: lite blks

cindiloo
16 years ago

Becky...I have a lot of these blocks and want to make the lights like yours (well, they wouldn't be as pretty as yours, but I can start and learn as I go). Would your friend be interested in sharing his plan for the frames? I have a friend that will make them for me and that would be a good help.

Oh, also, do you know what size glass bit your husband uses to drill the holes? For some reason I have 1/2" in mind.

THANKS!

Cindi

Comments (7)

• becky_ia
    16 years ago

Hi Cindi,

Lucky you being able to get your hands on 27 of these! I have been buying mine from the Menards and depending upon the glass design, they run about $3.50-$5 each. My husbands drill bit that we use is 1/2 inch in size. As far as the frames and my master carpenter friend, he never has any plans or designs other than what is in his head! He is able to look at something and figure out a way to make it work. I can try and explain what he did for you. Am sending a picutre of the rose one again, so maybe it will help. He went to an auction and bought a truck load of cherry wood. It was scrap of every size and thin like what you would use for window trimming. He took one board and routered all the edges for the base. Cut a hole in the center for the lights. Then makes three sides for the block (top and each side). These are glued together with woodglue. Then the base is attached with wood screws so you can change the blocks if you want to. Does this help?

Becky

• cindiloo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Becky-
    Oh, Yes! THANK YOU! That helps alot! I showed the pictures to my friend and now I can tell him the basics and it would help! I did get a hole drilled in one using a 1/2" bit, but it took me 2 days cuz all I have is a wimpy battery girly drill! I found a wedding supply place on the net that has the 20 string mini lights for under $3 a piece, does that sound about right?
    Yes, getting 27 of those blocks for a whole $5 was the garage sale find of the year! I didn't know why I wanted them, or what I was gonna do with them but I couldn't pass that up! Thanks for sharing your pics and the extra info.
    Cindi

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

I just scored 12 for $15 Today!!! YIPPEE!

• cindiloo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good score, Calamity! I'm sure you'll do beautiful things with them!

• becky_ia
    16 years ago

Cindy,

Check for lights in places that cater to gardening clientel. I found the stings for about $1.50 each at my local hardware store, in their gardening department. I also wondered about using the lights that are put into "Christmas Village" pcs, but one would have to drill a bigger hole...and since that isn't the easiest to do, I stuck with with string lights.

Calamity j...WOW....where did you find such a bargain?

Becky

• cindiloo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Becky...I'll check at the garden sections at the few stores I have. I like that lower price!

• yell_rose
    16 years ago

Yesterday I found some lights at the Family Dollar for $1.25. I had to ask for them, as they were already put away. Becky, have you tried cutting the hole with a hole saw bit instead of a regular bit? My DH thinks that would be easier. But he doesn't want to buy one just to find out. Ok, he's cheap, I admit it.