Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eklypz

First Stained Glass - Seed of Life

eklypz
16 years ago

This one was a fun process. Was gonna trace it in but didn't feel right so learned how to draw it. I know it is not that complex but I am not much of a drawing type of artist so took me a few to get the hang of it. Drew it out in GlassEye (using the trial right now, awesome program!) then did my first one. Not too sad about the results :D

Comments (24)

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

That is GREAT!! I have not tried doing stained glass yet. Maybe someday.

I will add this about grouting. You asked in an earlier thread about special grouts. Someone mentioned a glow in the dark grout just in the last day or so here. I can not remember which thread it is in. Maybe someone coming in behind me will put it up.

Good job. I MUST learn to cut glass other than straight lines.

Chris

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Nice design! great first try. You did good!!

Maria

• eklypz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

THat glasseye program will be great for designing mosaics too!

I must find this post about glow grout :D I have a few leads but need to find it soon as one of my next projects I want to do is a negative space mosaic (aka reverse mosaic showing one way in light, another way in dark) and must have glow grout to make it work.

Thanks so much for the feedback, I just LOVE glass! I did use a grinder to even out some of the curves. It's not terrible hard I think with curves I glued the pattern on top so just followed it. Having a decent glass cutter makes a big difference!

Jeff

• eklypz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Another thing I was thinking is when I mess up stain glass I can just use it to make mosaic stuff :) Was thinking as I was cutting, "oh this piece will be great to mosaic with" lol.

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

That's really great. I love that you drew it yourself.
    Very cool Jeff.

Hazie

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Jeff, great job on the stained glass. Your outside rounded edges look really good! And YES! save those scraps for your mosaic stuff! Thats how I got started doing mosaics, had a ton of scraps from my copperfoil projects!

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

Jeff I think it is in the Tints All link that Chickeemama said they had the glow in the dark grout. Maybe it was at Home depot too.

Or look for the thread down the page Grout Colorant.

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Tints All link

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

FOUND IT!!

Glow in the dark powders.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glow in the dark powders.

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Good job on your first, thanks for sharing it with us! Yes, a good glass cutter is Essential!!!

• gretch1964
    16 years ago

Great job on your first stained glass.

• eklypz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You guys are the best xo.

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

You should be proud! That is AWESOME if it was your 1st or 31st! I was checking out that GlassEye trail, too. Now that I've seen what you created I might spend some more time figuring it out!

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Great job Jeff,never hear of glasseye trail??Gotta check it out.

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

ok, you've given me hope cause that turned out great. I'm going to a stained glass class today! Nice job!

do you think you'll spring for glasseye, it's what like 200? Is it 200 dollars great or just free trial offer great? lol

• siriusmosaics
    16 years ago

For first time with it, you did a great job of cutting and getting everything straight.

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Like someone else said - whether first or last - you did great. You couldn't prove it to me that you can't draw - that's pretty good drawing in my book. Great job.

• eklypz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think I will spring for Glass Eye standard, its 150. It tells me exactly how much I will need in terms of supplies and just love using it, very easy and intuitive. I am working on some stuff. I did the whole tutorial though for it. the 30 day trial is free. Can check it out at http://www.dfly.com/

Thanks for the comments, I cut the glass pretty straight but I left way too much space for the foil between the pieces so had to do some creative soldering :D

have fun in your class NT, I think I may take one too. You can focus on different things and think it would be fun to learn to make kaleidoscopes!

• andrea_2
    16 years ago

It's a nice piece. How big is it?

• eklypz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's got about an 8 inch circumference.

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Wow eklypz that is nice. Its cool that you made yourself learn to draw it out. I also have no talent in the drawing area but Im stubborn enough sometimes to teach myself what I need to know!!! Comes in handy sometimes!!! I looked at your gallery and just love some of your stuff. The spiderweb (now I have forgotten what you called it..sorry!!!) was my favorite...

Glad Shades linked the glow in the dark powder for you. Let us know if you get it and it works.

• eklypz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The spiderweb was a giant learning process hehe. Took 80+ hours to make it. Was fun when people put watches on it to signify releases themselves from the restrictions that time places on us :D

I found some more cool info about Glow grout:

http://glowinc.com/glow-in-the-dark/concrete.aspx

The powder seems significantly cheaper there..

• icheer
    16 years ago

That's a really great pattern and piece - great job!

Glasseye 2000 is a terrific program that enables you to design both stained glass and mosaic patterns. I bought it last fall and have only just began to explore the possibilities. Google around on the prices before purchasing directly from the Glasseye site tho - I was able to buy mine on sale for $118! Quite a savings :-)

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

I bought glass eye when it first came out, several years ago. I wonder what I did with that software...It was neat kinda like a cad program, you could change lines in patterns, etc. Gotta go find that again..

• eklypz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ooo great tip Icheer, thanks so much!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!