Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
odd pink vase

Posted by nicethyme (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 21:46

seriously, its like the color of Mercurochrome. so I just started using textured clears. the real question will be what the heck color grout should I use. vase wip

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: odd pink vase

Do you ever paint your grout? I do all the time. I did a pink bottle last year and grouted it with white, then painted the grout silver. The only way I have found for the painted look to work is, I pour out some acrylic craft paint into a lid, then use a damp natural silk sponge to apply the paint all over. I lightly "pounce" it on. Then I immediately start wiping the paint off the glass while trying to leave it on the grout, using a damp terrycloth rag. Of course, I usually disturb the paint here and there and have to reapply it. But that's the only method I have found that looks good in the end.

o

yeah I've painted many times myself. and I like the bright colors. But I still have a small stash of lipstick red - I was thinking of that or bright yellow - which I can make

o

I love the combination of pink and yellow.

o
I did pink with gray grout once

it looked pretty good but I like the other ideas here better, especially the idea of silver grout against that pink glass!

o

It looks cool! Going to be really cool when it's grouted.

o

finally finished gluing this, now I need to wait for the glue to clear up, I decided not to have it meet up on the ends - I really like that you can see the different profiles of the mosaic through the vase.

WIP vase

WIP vase

o

What did you decide about the grout?

o

right now I'm pretty sure I'm going with bright yellow

o

That's really a nice piece. Love the uneven edges. You keeping this or selling?

o

so I grouted it in a gradation and was really pleased until I started cleaning it and the pink coating came off of the glass WAAAAAH! so now I'm going to have to scrape it all off and figure out whether I can paint it with glass paint or maybe alcohol inks...

but I do love the grout colors grout gradation

o

Same thing happened to my friend Jeannie recently. You have to hold the gems to the light and look through them to see if the color is actually in the glass. Those bought at HobLob and other craft stores are just painted. There is a website that sells really colored glass ones - all sizes - link follows.
http://www.wholesalersusainc.com/decorative-crafts/glass-gems.html?gclid=CK-Hubq657wCFafm7AodYGwAXg

o

What adhesive did you use?
Diane

o

I use many different glues for different things, on this particular vase - I wasn't in a hurry and didn't need to work vertically so I chose weldbond

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here