Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alcohol inks

Posted by drtdgr (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 26, 13 at 20:35

I'm interested in using alcohol inks with tempered glass.

Has anyone done this? Does the ink go on the back of the TG?

And it won't come off with grouting? I want to make a moon with it using the usual materials, thinset and grout.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alcohol inks

There's an artist on Flickr who has done quite a bit of work w/alcohol inks. She left a project outside for a year/two???, and it fades, but I think inside projects w/be great. Check her out on Flickr. Her name on Flickr is: Poppins Mosaics and Crafts

o

You put the inks on the substrate and glue over them. We played with them in Susan Crozeni's workshop.. We used them on mirror and then TG'd it. Mosaic Wench, Pat Mitchel also does amazing stuff with them

o

Thanks for the info, ladies. Enjoyed looking at the websites of the above artists. So much to learn.

The colors are so intense with the inks. Fabulous.

o

YES they are amazing. I read once that depending on the glue she uses, Pat can get different effects from the ink.. similar how it fogs up with alcohol. Also, Pat is building on mirror so her work doesn't need backlighting

o

I use them also and it is so much fun to see the end results .I use ten foil under mine and also shiny wrapping foil tissue. So many ways
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/nana7/mosaic/feb2011011.jpg[/IMG]

o

Those crosses are great. I bought a mirror yesterday and am going to experiment today with inks and tempered glass.

I assume I can cut the mirror with my Toyo pistol grip.

So much to learn. Usually I can stick with one project and finish it, but I've been bouncing all over the place lately.

I have piles of half-started projects now. Not that I have any reason to complain - more techniques and materials mean a greater depth to the making of mosaics in my book.

It's a lot like gardening or writing - looking at it from different angles, pondering how to create a certain vision.

It takes me a long time and a few revisions - and sometimes a tension headache - but if I stick with it I'm usually satisfied with the results.

I like what Ernest Hemingway said about writing - the first draft is always s**t. I'm no Ernest Hemingway, but you get the idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here