Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

Sycamore on Library Road

nicethyme
15 years ago

It seems like everyone on Flickr is making trees right now so I thought I'd give it a shot. i love this tree and drive past it almost every day.

Comments (19)

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm working from scraps, glass and shards and some rocks

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

here I started adding a tan

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

here's the tree finished after adding a dark brown glass and some chipped blue stone

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

then I decided on doing the back ground with paint and clears with TG... so I came up with a night sky look

I finished the edge and tried out some gold corners which I nixed when feedback from artists said it wasn't working (its much better without)

• bettycbowen
    15 years ago

This is astonishing. Thank you for the thorough documentation. It made my heart skip because it looks SO much like the giant sycamore in my backyard that my dad dug up as a sapling from black bear creek on the family homestead and planted in the 1950s. Now I want to do one, but there is a backsplash in the way!

But really truly it is inspiring from the handsome sketch all the way through.

• charmo
    15 years ago

Hi Nicethyme! I love your tree. It is so beautiful and your background is perfect. Did you put TG over the whole background? Congratulations!

• klinger
    15 years ago

Very nice, I love mosaic trees
    Cindy

• nanatricia
    15 years ago

I love your tree ! Such great work.

• aka_strawberrygoat
    15 years ago

man, I'd love to have a tree like that, hanging on the wall in this house...it's beautiful...

that makes me stop for a minute and make a note to myself,
    "CAll the Glass house/car repair and see if any tg has come in...I missed the other load, by a day..

you really are an inspiration...

Becky

• bearbubbacowboy
    15 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!! Great to see it all the way through!! Thanks for sharing, Cathy

• ans_garden
    15 years ago

This is stunning, and so simple. I'm curious what substrate you're using & how you fit the frame around it. Lovely.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you guys, still plugging away on the background today... It is not all TG in fact probably only a 1/4 of the fill is TG. Most is clear glue chip glass outlineing the entire tree in a very tight keystoned opus. This is what I've been trying to do with this whole series - learn to make the grout lines integral to the piece. either playing them up or down according to what they'll do to the look. In the Old Beater I used TG in the tree canopies so that the tangle of grout lines would act as another layer of twigs and branches so I am trying to do the same affect here. I didn't want that loose crazy paving look along the trunk and scaffold branches though so I'm hoping an organized andamento will accentuate the tree's inner frame... we'll see.

the substrate was hardiebacker - cement board and the frame was just strips of glass glued on the edge - trying something new as I purposely set it higher that the top and making it all flush with the surface tess - not easy and I'm not sure it will work since I have no cutting system and nothing I cut is ever straight and true.

hoping to get it all glued today

• mattie_2008
    15 years ago

I've been doing stained glass for over 25 years and always had a special feeling for trees. Love your idea of using the differrent textures....glass, stone, paint. Overall effect is awesome!

Mattie

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Just stunning.
    I am reading Sonja Kings book (better later than never!) and learning so much. You always know what you want to see, but getting there can be a challenge.
    You have definately met that challenge. What a work of art.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you all so much for your nice replies. I finished it yesterday.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

NT - have I told you lately how much I admire you and your talent? This piece makes me speechless. I am so far behind in reading/posting, and am still too tired to REALLY catch up, but want to tell you how much I loved the little truck piece. You just blow me away w/every one of your pieces, and inspire me so much. Your work ranks waaaay high - like on top - among the work of other artists whose work I sometimes view while quickly skipping through the eye candies. Keep it up, girlie. YOU'RE GOOD.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oh boy... I'm choked up now...

thank you Slow, I've really missed ya round here and all your inspiring art. Can't wait to see your next wip pictures!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Yup! X2 what Slow said...you've gone to a whole new level and we are slowly falling behind...hold on Girl, you are in Warp Speed now Scotty!!! Jane

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

no way Janey girl! you and Slow posess an inventiveness that I envy. You inspire me!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz