Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

mixed media idea

nicethyme
11 years ago

I made a little batik today and was quite pleased with it, I'm hoping to incorporate it in a mosaic... I'll mosaic 3 sides and use glass on the cows and unglazed ceramic in the ground to get a contrast in the black forefront

Comments (33)

• texaswild
    11 years ago

OMGoodness - this is fantastic. You can just sit down and whip out a project in record time. Your drawing is absolutely mind boggling. Wish I could do that. This is gonna be REALLY fun to watch. Judging from the size, it looks like your tiles w/be teensy. You are sooooo talented.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hah,, I'm taking a drawing class tomorrow - always room for improvement.

this is measured out as 10x10" total, do you remember Crystal - made the lighthouse on her frypan exchange... she's in DC area and her daughter works at the Torpedo factory. She wrote to me last week and asked me if I was interested in doing a piece for a fundraiser there,, they supply the substrate and its 10X10" You pay an entry fee and then your piece is sold for 150.00 with 10% going to the March of Dimes and the rest to their youth outreach program. So the cool thing was that they'll hold a art show reception and that will give me an excuse to finally go to the Torpedo factory! lol

I said yes without having any real ideas for what to do... but this will be great because it really isn't that much mosaic/ and materials after you set the batik in there..

• silvamae
    11 years ago

I love those trees! You are so talented . . .

• texaswild
    11 years ago

OMGosh - I LOVE the Torpedo Factory. That reminds me of how much I enjoyed living in DC on Stateside assignments. LOVE that whole metroplex, and especially Old Town Alexandria. Lucky you - to be in the midst of so many art opportunities. Re your project, I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to treat it. I admire your batiking skills. I sorta went nuts buying them when we lived in Sri Lanka. EVERYTHING was batik.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

well... I'm backing off this design for the fundraiser, as I began messig with the scale and trying to get the right perspective for the forefront - it was apparent this isn't the right thing for a 10"x10" substrate.

So NEXT!!!! did I mention that I was thinking about fall leaves under that foggy glass like they are frozen? I ran that one by another artist and she gave me positive feedback so thats what I'm playing with now. Picked out the Hickory leaf and have painted it on my substrate - I've got exciting ideas for this

• texaswild
    11 years ago

W/be interesting to watch.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oooh oh!!! this is cool looking

• ItsmeChickadee
    11 years ago

It's fascinating to watch your pieces come together. I'd like to visit inside your brain!
    Becky

• texaswild
    11 years ago

Now look what's she's doing. Speechless here.

• barbfrizzell1955
    11 years ago

Girl, you are a freak!!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL, Becky, I don't even like to visit my brain!

haha Slow and Crafty, this one's exciting me

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hah! it took 2 tries (I hate tearing anything off but it just wasn't right) but I finally got what I was imagining)

The edges of the ice...

• texaswild
    11 years ago

CRAFTY: She's a freak, alright - a freaking genius. I'm not worthy to even address her works in my mere words.

• barbfrizzell1955
    11 years ago

I agree Slow. Just when you think she couldn't possibly top her last project, she proves me wrong!!!! I never thought I would see the day when she actually used a sewing machine either...and not just for a paperweight and here she is making clothes and quilting! LOL

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hahahaha Crafty! you have to admit I was pretty good with fabric gluing hey!

• barbfrizzell1955
    11 years ago

Yes you were!!!! There will be no more glued together costumes for your kids!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's right I 'm all about that sewing machine now baby!!! lol

I'm hoping the under painting gets clearer looking once I grout the "ice". Still need to finish all the ice on the other side of the crystals

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ready for donation I think

• texaswild
    11 years ago

Little girl!!!! What can I say - more than has already been said. You are my hero artistically. You go waaaay beyond ........ Bless your l'il heifer's heart.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

then we're even, cause you're mine!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hey ya all,,, getting back to this one FINALLY

• silvamae
    10 years ago

Oh wow! It's going to be cool; I can tell.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I hope so, but putting the batik down 1st has me scared witless that I'll ruin it when I grout.

• texaswild
    10 years ago

Must be the law of attraction at work here, cuz I was just thinking of you yesterday, wondering what you've been up to. This is such an outstanding piece of work.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL, I've been in a slump most of the summer. Decided to go down to Charlotte and help with the assembly of the Unfurled mural thinking that it would get me jumpstarted - and it did. I met Lin Schorr (was Linlee88 here) and she asked if I ever posted here anymore and it made me think of you!

• texaswild
    10 years ago

I'm so glad you still think of us here. It's VERY slow here, but I check in every day. Last time I saw Lin's work, she is into some serious, wonderful works. I don't jump around to many forums - just here and Flickr, so I'm out of touch w/the big-time mosaic artists. I'm into mixed media and paper crafting lately and very little mosaicing. Was wondering today where will I go w/the things I'm doing now, since it's not mosaicing. I was sorta kicked off Garden Junk and migrated here, so when w/they kick me outta here w/the work I'm doing now???? and where w/I go??? LOL.

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

I wouldn't ever kick you off here no matter what type of art you were doing and posting it so we could see! I think a lot of people have gravitated towards Facebook but I miss seeing them on Flickr and in both the mosaic forums I follow. New members that join tend to not stick around once they see how slow things are. Although I'm not creating right now, I do love to see what people are working on hoping that it will inspire me to start mosaicing once more!

Oops forgot to add that I love this idea NT and can't wait to see it finished!

This post was edited by crafty_lady on Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 16:32

• silvamae
    10 years ago

Slow I hope you don't go anywhere else! I am always interested in what you're working on -- even if it might not be considered technically mosaic by some.

• texaswild
    10 years ago

Thank you, my friends. That's very comforting. Yes, CL, I miss a few that used to be on Flickr too. I'm not ever joining Facebook, so I w/miss lots of beautiful work.

• silvamae
    10 years ago

Well, slow, I am on Facebook but I still have no idea how to see everyone's work .....

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

that's really the problem, facebook "decides" what to show you so its hard to catch all the WIP of certain projects. not a good format for it.

Slow, what ever media you work in, its still all a mosaic because that's how your beautiful mind sees AND that will always belong here

• texaswild
    10 years ago

What a sweet thing to say, NT. Nice way to start a day - w/a big ole smile. Y'all never disappoint.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yaaay I finished this one..

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor