Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

The next exchange - details, Spring 08

nicethyme
16 years ago

OKay all... pay attention now. The next exchange/challenge is TO BE MAILED on MARCH 15th + or - a few days on either side is fine but if you can't be in the mail on the 17th at the latest then don't exchange an address. By the time we collect addresses your project should be close enough to finish that you will know if you can make it or drop out! GOT IT? OK!

To be in this challenge, you must take part in an update discussion thread POSTED BY ME ONLY.You will have a period of 5 days to make some type of post to that thread and if you are a no show at the end of that period we will list you as MIA and you will be disqualified from participation in this challenge. These threads will start on the week of Jan 28nd, Feb 11th and finally with the request for your emailed address on March 4th. Let Me repeat, you must respond to the official exchange threads started only by ME within 5 days of these dates or you will not be included in the exchange. Also, all email correspondense must be responded to or you will be called MIA. Official threads and emails by ME will be titled SATG

now read that all again twice before proceeding! LOL

For newbies - our challenges/exchanges are a secret, you will not recieve an exchange partner until it is time to send your art, therefore you do not know what they like. You DO NOT post WIPs. You will however have a list of requirements for this project, so if you don't want this item from someone, don't join. If you don't want to take on this challenge as it's described then... don't. easy breezy. There are at any given time, a number of different skill levels participating, remember that everyone here was once a newbie too, and exchanges are a great way to get experience. Please do not fear you don't measure up, you will! and we KNOW IT!!! lol

Ready?

Title is "Spring around the Globe, how small can you go?"

so it's spring themed - your own interpretation of spring! Depicted on.... a (you guessed it) GLOBE or better known as a polystyrene BALL! 6 inches or LESS... the less the better... less work. less tesserae. less shipping weight! LOL and those of you who possess micro mosaic urges can really go to town!!! LOL

So to recap,

Spring theme

Ball

6 inches or less

mailed on March 15th

you must post to "official" threads to stay in, within 5 days on Jan 28th, Feb 10th and March 4th.

You must respond to all emails from info@candaceclough.com

to give notice of receipt. Although, don't expect one till the end (except for those of you I regularly harrass now!)

If you suspect you may want to participate, post your intent here. You are not obligated in anyway and have up to March 10th to drop out, no questions asked. OK?

with that... I'm in!

Comments (150)

• tamar_422
    16 years ago

Geez, nice, when I said more than one ball, I meant I can only come up with ONE idea that would require multiple balls! Some of you have just too much vision! Guess that's the difference between a mosaic artist that has a new idea at least once a week, and someone like me, who agonizes for weeks just to come up with one halfway decent idea ... LOL!

I think having more than one entry would make the exchange a lot more interesting. Just my opinion. (Not that it isn't already edge-of-your-seat exciting!)

• shrty411
    16 years ago

***sigh*** You are all confusing me... Ideas are bouncing in my head!!! AAACK!!
    I have no idea, except that it will probably be round

Maria

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

To clarify, my idea is a "set" idea, not that I'm doing "X" projects for the exchange, so I want that many names to send to.
    My exchange for ONE person may involve one ball, or several, depending on which one I decide to do...follow that?

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

while I was in the thrift store today, I saw MANY MANY things that could be used as 'displays' for a ball:

-vases with large openings
    -pillar candle holders
    -other metal, wooden, or other material ring-type-things that held other knick-knacks at some point (said KK now MIA)
    -small candy dishes
    -pedestal dishes

Everything I looked at seemed to scream "use me for the exchange!" but alas, I already have my props.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I do follow, but because this type (all the same substrate) is supposed to be an "in kind" exchange (sort of a ball for a ball) I'm going to request that you not make more than one per exchange partner. OK? it's so that we get no hard feelings, everyone goes in knowing (somewhat)what to expect to get. In that way, this is very different than the holiday exchange. Lets keep this inside the parameters. But if you do want or do make more than one you can opt to exchange more than one item and recieve that many back. OKAY?

• tamar_422
    16 years ago

Oh no, nice, this totally changes my vision. I'm gonna have to come up with an idea that will only require one ball! Oh, man, this stinks. It took me three weeks to come up with my last idea. I'm gonna run outta time!

Thanks, mmqc, for throwing out some ideas for me to ponder ...

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

So to clarify...if I found something like THIS hanging around my house that I wanted to use for the exchange, I can't make it complete by doing the two balls to go with?

{{gwi:2108018}}

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

...because I'm a numbers geek...

To do 2 4" balls for the above project would be LESS surface area than one 6" ball...

So the level-of-effort wouldn't (shouldn't) be considered any more or less when receiving either gift.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'd advise against such a thing. The parameter was "A ball, 6" or less" "smaller the better" If you'd like to add a stand or display method that's fine. But truely, it's not about area = area. Its a ball for a ball. Going too much further could risk embarassing members for "not going far enough"

seriously, I don't mean to come off as a control freak but if you look over all the previous challenges - that's what it is. The artists' choice, creative, go for it exchange was the holiday exchange. this one we're going back to "what can you do with THIS item" type challenge. OK?

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

I'm a "one ball" kind of gal myself....

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

Ok - I'm gonna be really hateful and say . . . . I just have to grout it and it's DONE!!!! Hateful indeed!

Actually, this has set me off on exploration and experimentation. I might have more than one to choose from when it comes time to mail. But at least I'll have ONE able to be send if the others don't work out.

This has been A LOT of fun - still is!

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

Ok, one ball. Um...how strict are you going to be on that styrofoam...cuz we've been talking about different bases from glass ornaments to other ornaments (which I went out and got), and nothing was mentioned, but now I re-read that up there, and you said specifically polystyrene. Want I should go back and do styro?

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

you can look at the substrate material as a "suggested" just to make things easy for members. A globe is a globe Right? if you participate in enough of these things, you start to look for the lightest and cheapest substrate, so I threw that out to make it as easy decision as possible... if you're happy with the base you found... go with it!

if you check the thread starter, the 3 parameters are listed as

Spring theme
    Ball
    6 inches or less

... Wench, I'm thrilled this is turning you on!!! LOL

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Hey Wench ---

Maria

• tamar_422
    16 years ago

I'm sorry, bama, did you say you were a "uni-ball" kind of gal?

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Yep..I'm a..uh.."uniballer."

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OHHHH, I really have to quit reading this thread....
    to think how boring it would have been to go with my original idea of mosaiking a shoe!!!!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

LOL you can try to be innocent, but you knew these threads would deteriorate fast

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

I'm thrilled - my exchange ball is all grouted and done. So where do I send it?

ducking and running cuz someone is gonna take a shot at me

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hey wench

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

Bama's cat...that's who...

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

Oh noooooo . . . not sniper kitty!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

LOL ... sniper kitty... teee heee hee!!!! dang it, I'm gonna get the hiccups

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Hey, you guys are messing up the PERFECTLY good FOUL MOOD I woke up with!!

Maria

• crystal01
    16 years ago

Nice, When I organized the watering can exchange I started a db of names/addresses/who got who. if you want a copy email me. Not sure that GW form on My Page works but you can copy and paste my email addy from there.

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Man Im glad Im not the first one done...sniper kitty looks like a good shot!!!

Im also glad you guys specified that 1 ball is for 1 ball, while I have changed my mind a trillion times I did have an idea of doing something that had contained more than one ball...oh well no big loss. I hadnt chosen that idea anyhow. But am keeping that idea for myself as it is an AWESOME idea!!!

Also glad you said any globe would do...

Wench- thats awesome that this exchange is teaching you some new stuff about yourself!! Thats always a good thing!!! I have my ball jar that I started awhile ago and I will have some new ideas to go in there myself!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Crystal, I'm not seeing an email addy for you on there.

so to answer your question, yes I would like that, to make sure we don't repeat partners I presume? info@candaceclough.com

• crystal01
    16 years ago

Nice, I emailed you.

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

Plan A went out the window.
    Plan B went out right behind it.
    Plan C went rather nicely, if I do say so myself...

Ready for grout!!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

got it Crystal, thanks.

MM glad you had success! WATCH YOUR BACK FOR SNIPER KITTY!

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

I am sorry to announce that I have to withdraw from this Exchange, too much going on between now and then...Jane

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    16 years ago

okay Jane, no problems

• fiddlekate
    16 years ago

I bought a ball to mosaic and am ready to go!
    Thanks so much for your work on this, NT!
    Katie

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

Yeah my ball finally came! Of course I have no freaking idea what I'm going to do with it, but at least it's here!!!

Barb

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

crafty- Well, I have an idea (we're on Plan D over here), but no freaking ball to go with anymore :(
    Gotta go get me a new ball to play with.

• shrty411
    16 years ago

An Idea! an Idea!!....my kingdom for an idea!!!

Ok, lets see, it's going to be round....

Maria

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

Ideas?

Spring ideas??

Daffodils, tulips, earthworms, robins, sunshine, green grass, hyacinths, forsythia, sunshine, Easter (or Passover), sunshine, blue skies, bunnies, snow drops, sunshine, baseball, crocuses, weeding, sunshine (can you tell I'm big on sunshine?) . . .

Those are my 30 second brainstorm ideas for spring.

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Yeah, but how do I get them on the ball LOL

Hmmmm earthworms...a ball of worms. Oh wait, they are supposed to be in a can.....

Great, you're done with your ball and came up with a bunch MORE ideas in about 30 seconds. pfffft.

Maria

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Weeding!!!!!!!!!!! Mowing, trimming, edging, manicuring lawns.

• shrty411
    16 years ago

LOL Slow, I doubt anyone would appreciate a "ball of weeds"

Shoot it so dang cold here I can't even remember spring.

I've been scouring the TS, but haven't found "the perfect thing" yet
    Maria

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Sneezing, rashes, faded hair color, sunburn...

• shrty411
    16 years ago

ROFL BAMA!!

Maria

• seaglassic
    16 years ago

April showers
    ...May flowers
    May Pole
    May Day basket
    peeps
    sugar eggs
    egg hunts
    Easter baskets
    colored eggs
    rainbows
    'Cadberry Egg'
    and on and on.....

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

Can peeps be used as tesserae?

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Yeah, leave them out about a week, they harden right up LOL

Maria

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

More ideas:
    Sippin' umbrelly cocktails in a summer breeze
    Sippin' umbrelly cocktails while mowin the lawn
    Sippin' umbrelly cocktails during a break from SG&M-ing
    Cute cabana boys who BRING said umbrelly cocktails...

Flowiz
    Cherry Blossoms
    Apple Blossoms
    Robins
    Birdhouses
    Birdseed (thinking tesserae???)
    Hummers
    Iris
    Crocus
    Daffs
    Tulips
    That "day-glow green" color that happens for only a couple days just before everything turns "regular" green for the summer
    Earth waking up (I LOVE that smell!!!)
    Laundry on the line
    Wheelbarrows
    Walkin' on Sunshine (whoa, ohhh)
    Picket fences
    Lilacs
    Forsythias

Ok, that's my 2-minute buzzer going off.

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

If you microwave peeps and let them cool they harden up real nice - but they also spread out and make very odd shapes.

The sugar is a problem with glue but you might try encasing them in resin. I'm thinking thinset would work, but smooshing them into the thinset will leave fingerprints in the sugar coating . . .

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

MW- do I WANT to know why you know so much about the 'technical details' of using peeps as tesserae????

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

No - you don't.

Remember - for every one thing I post, there are probably three in the trash . . . .

• crystal01
    16 years ago

bump