Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamasusanna

This weeks project

bamasusanna
16 years ago

I'm back to my "one a week" goal.

This week I'm working on a piece inspired by one of my favorite mosaic artist, Irina Charny. This butterfly will be the center of a larger panel I'm working on.

The butterfly is only 7" tall. Lots of little pieces in this sucker!

{{!gwi}}

Comments (114)

• annieb43
    16 years ago

wonderful! I love it trimmed or not,
    It is so beautiful.
    I saw the butterfly on flickr
    (as I am one of your contacts there)
    and printed it for my inspiration wall.
    It is even better on this piece.

• LinLee
    16 years ago

I'm glad you kept with the butterfly...love it!
    I agree too that cutting it out would work AND going neutral as a
    backdrop AND...just what IS with that white square...have we
    not learned anything about odd pieces and
    missing BB's? :)
    Your work is soooo wonderful.
    Linlee

• crystal01
    16 years ago

WOW WOW WOW!! That is awesome! I agree about cutting the board to fit the border and I love the diamond pattern if you can find some of that tiger eye I've seen on some projects (guitar??) here I think it would make it pop! The white square could be your signature square...

• bamasusanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I finished gluing the background tonight! I tried to remove that dang white square with a screw driver and a hammer. Freaking thing would NOT budge... gotta love that Weldbond!
    I'll try again tomorrow. I still have to trim it down before I grout too.

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

can you reconstitute the weldbond with a spray of water? Don't kill yourself over it, sometime those quirky things we thing are flaws speak to others! LOL

hey I missed that you're getting hooked up with gallery showings ... thats really great!

• bamasusanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh!! Water!! Duh...
    I'll try that. I hope it works. Otherwise I may just glue a bead to the top of it.

• seaglassic
    16 years ago

the way I see it, is that you have more white on the butterfly on the left side...and there are little triangles of white on the left side and some on the right side..
    it doesn't stand out to a point of unbalance..and if you hadn't pointed it out...I wonder if it would have been noticed...well, noticed but not criticised..

can't you glue on a piece of thin glass in a triangle on it? half white and half something else.

it's a beautiful job you're doing. someone is going to be very lucky to own it.

• bamasusanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Those are mirrors! The square is the ONLY white in the whole piece!LOL

• cacbeary
    16 years ago

The butterfly turned out wonderful & love what you have done with the board. Outstanding!

• cait1
    16 years ago

AWESOME!!!

Hmmm, add BAND SAW to tool list of wants!

Weldbond is GREAT stuff. The water may work. Something I glued with Weldbond came apart cuz water soaked in.

Can't wait to see it finished. Gosh, when you say 'one week' you mean it!!!

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

Bama, this is beautiful! When you have a show, will it be in NC? 'cause I'm coming down there if it is!!! You have blossomed into some kind of artist lady! Wonderful work!!

• texaswild
    16 years ago

And blossomed she did. Way to go, girlie. I thought the white square wasn't noticeable either, and also thought there were more white pieces. I like your idea of trimming the board AND definitely think the amber glass in the diamond shapes w/be a winner. Congratulations on the gallery avenue. Your work is so gallery worthy!!!!!

• fiddlekate
    16 years ago

Beautiful, Bama! Absolutely gorgeous! It makes me smile to look at it already! Great idea to trim the board. Lookin' forward to the next picture!

(I printed your butterfly, too. One day I want to jump out of the 'match both sides' brain set. :)

• shrty411
    16 years ago

WOW, Beautiful!! The square should come up with a little water, I did that on my lazy susan. A couple tile near it came up, too, but I just glued them back down!!

I like the amber for the middle, too I did what chickee said and went back and looked when you mentioned it

If you can trim the board ..do it!!

Good luck on the gallery thing. You'll do great!!!

Maria

• klinger
    16 years ago

Wow, that's just so gorgeous. I love the shape you've chosen, the circle, the butterfly, well I guess I love it all. I also agree maybe trim the board if you can. Your color choices are awesome, and in a gallery it belongs,
    Cindy

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

the ONLY white? fine... if it doesn't come off, then come up with some cool symbolism bs to explain it! LOL

• bamasusanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The square is gone..along with a small chunk of mdf.
    I filled in that area with other colors, and I got the board cut to shape. Looks like it will be tomorrow before I can grout.

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

It Looks Just Amazing!
    Really like the idea of cutting it out, and using the Amber glass around the butterfly. The colors just draw me in, again and again!

Hazie

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

oh sure... no pics! (golf anouncer voice) this is the tension builder... as the artist makes us wait in wonder for the final unveiling...(golf announcer voice off)

that's strange, my golf announcer sounds like Jacsque Cousteu!...

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

THE TENSION IS KILLING MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

• PantherFL
    16 years ago

This is soooo nice! I wanna see, I wanna see, I wanna seeeee!!

• gretch1964
    16 years ago

Come on bama, i know your done with it. PICTURES pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..

• bamasusanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yep, it's done! I have pictures, but the dang photobucket site isn't working! I have been trying to up load for 3 hours. I'll post it as soon as I can get the photo uploaded.
    BTW: I really like how it turned out!!!!

• PantherFL
    16 years ago

Heading to photobucket to strongly urge them to let Bamasusanna upload her pictures!!!

• bamasusanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey! I got it uploaded to flickr!
    Hope this works!

• PantherFL
    16 years ago

Yes! That is wonderful! And to think you considered not using the flutterby, this turned out GREAT!!!

• bamasusanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Looking at the picture you can't see that the sides of the butterfly which are black, really stand out from the background.
    I only lost a butterfly eye and a bead while grouting!

• rosemarythyme
    16 years ago

Hot dang! BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!

• gretch1964
    16 years ago

Well hot dam, that is awesome. I so love the colors. It turned out great.

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Wow Bama that is scintillatingly delightful!!! I absolutely love it. You so out did yourself with this one!!! Bravo!!!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

WOW, You have such a talent for colors!! It is awesome!!

Maria

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

How did I miss this thread?

Very nice work madam!

• crystal01
    16 years ago

WOW! Bama you blow me away with your designs and colors! Enjoyed looking through your album again.

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

OMG it's deafening.... is everyone else hearing the crushing sound of angel's song LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

make'm stop!

It's totally AWESOME!!!!!

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

I am totally in AWE....don't know why since all your work is so amazing, but this is ABSOLUTLEY GORGEOUS!!
    YOU are not just a Queen, you are an EMPRESS!

• LinLee
    16 years ago

Spectacular! :)
    I'm glad you stuck it out with the butterfly too.

OT: How do you do the pix through flickr? I'm a dunce.

• bluedog04
    16 years ago

BAMA - this project brought me out of lurkdom! I just have to tell you it is absolutely stunning! WOW!

I've been lurking here for over a year admmiring all the talent and trying to soak up some knowledge. I finally got some tools and some glass and will try my first project soon.

Thank you all for your inspiration. There is so much talent here.

• texaswild
    16 years ago

I saw this finished last night while perusing a sight w/Flickr photos, then jumped over here to see you'd posted it already. BEAUTIFUL BEYOND WORDS, BAMA. You're getting better. Lordy, this is the top - where can you go from here? You'll be a selling genius soon at your gallery.

• siriusmosaics
    16 years ago

I barely have words. Your work is so precise, yet the way you use all those colors and the patterns is amazing. Really great job on this one.

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

OMG...I'm gasping for breath.........that is so stunning.......beautiful......yes, you're work is so precise........took my breath...BEAUTIFIL!!!!

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

I'm gasping too ,it is beyond words...what can you say about something so perfect and beautiful..stardom coming for you SOON!!!

• diytrying
    16 years ago

Oh my goodness, another spectacular piece from the master(mistress?)!! And, so quickly. Words fail me..I just love looking at your pieces for inspiration.

• haziemoon
    16 years ago

OMG! BAMA....THAT IS BREATHTAKING!
    Holy crap girl!.....I don't know what else to say! WOW!!

Hazie

• andrea_2
    16 years ago

I'm in love (swoon). If I could afford it this piece wouldn't even make it to the gallery. I keep looking at it, and I really want to touch it! It's just beautiful, and if I may say it, HOLY DAWG SNOT!

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Spectacular!! Mind Blowing Specatcular!!!

• livnlife
    16 years ago

Well...everyone has already said it all!!!
    It really is quite AMAZING! Love all the colors and the creativity of it!
    Stunning!

Crystal

• icheer
    16 years ago

Simply stunning - great job!

• bamasusanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You people sure do make me smile. I appreciate your feedback so much!

Bluedog, welcome to the group! Dive in, the water's fine. We all started at the beginning, and with practice, you'll improve just as we ALL have. Lots of wonderful people here to cheer you along.

Linlee: to link from flickr, click on your photo, then above it you'll see "see all sizes" Click that and your link info will be below it.

• LinLee
    16 years ago

WOW! How quel is that!
    Thanks Bama :)

Ok...back to you regularly scheduled program of beauteous art.

• mmqchdygg
    16 years ago

Bama!!! I missed the update! I caught this on wench's request for a backsplash...you're on sucre88's links! OMG this is SO colorful! Awesome work!
    You're my hero.

Sponsored