Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Mixed Media - Mosaic/Collage/Paint

texaswild
11 years ago

Ashamed to post this, but I am in a creative slump and tried something new. Can't win 'em all. Tried a collage, paint, mosaic mixed media on thin plywood. The shells and fish are cuz Russ lives near the beach in MD. Other found objects were pulled from the drawers of an old Singer sewing machine his Mo - Shea, my DD - gave me years ago when the kids were young - frog, jeans tag, digital clock, key, and the half beer bottle is cuz he loves to drink beer w/his friends most evenings after work. In his Christmas gift thank you note he said "Nana, just because I'm a guy doesn't mean I wouldn't like to have a piece of your art work". I wouldn't call this art, and I hope to stick to what I know in my next piece for his birthday.

Comments (20)

• texaswild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I forgot to say that the "message in the beer bottle" isn't a cork as it appears. It is an old shopping list of DD's. It was in one of the drawers. I imagine she did the same as I used to do when I was cleaning my house - whenever I found something outta place, I stuck it in the nearest pocket - hiding place. I Mod Podged it to permanentize it and rolled it into the bottle.

• nicethyme
    11 years ago

hmmmmmmm, its difficult to say for sure but its feels.. maybe "unflowing" like your slump is in the piece??/ maybe you have exercised it from yourself with this work?

I have a piece like this too, got half way through it and stopped - just wasn't feeling it, I didn't throw it out though so maybe it will strike me to try it again oneday...

• silvamae
    11 years ago

Russ is going to love that! So you've been in a slump too? Maybe it's the weather (in addition to the news; all the bad that's been reported lately). I've been in a slump since before Christmas. When the temperature got down in the 20s and stayed there for weeks, I just laid around unless I absolutely had to do something. I would actually go lay down during the day and watch TV. I could tell my husband was worried about me because I just do not ever lay around like that! And at my age, I can't afford to waste any time!!! When the weather warmed up several days ago, I forced myself to start a new project -- the mod guitar -- and I'm s-l-o-w-l-y getting back into it. I spoke to my good friend in Austin who also mosaics, and she too has been in a slump. Ladies, we must snap out of it and get busy! Spring is just around the corner. I need to get back into organizing, which I was doing before the cold weather.

• nicethyme
    11 years ago

I really like the message in a bottle idea...

• texaswild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, ladies. I'll give it to him, and since he knows nothing about techniques/proceedures, I think just the fact that his Nana took the time to make something for him w/be appreciated. SILVA - this project is what happens when I try to FORCE inspiration. Think I'll just wait for it to happen - usually does. Gonna work on altering a pair of my favorite slippers that I've taken to PV for evenings in my satin pajamas - they're too worn to go again, so out comes the fabric, beads, sequins and glue today - we'll see if I make a mess of those too.

• nicethyme
    11 years ago

I'm sure he'll like it, it has memories and meaning and you attached to it,,, I bet you'll make those slippers fabulous!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just can't do it. In the trash

• ingeorgia
    11 years ago

Okay you have forced me to post ... OH NO please pull that right out of the trash. He will LOVE it. You are being too critical it is a wonderful piece.

• nanatricia
    11 years ago

I thought it was cool!!Silva I have been the same way some of it is because of my fibro and lupus. My work room is such mess I just can not make my self clean it, will have to soon.Have a few ideas running around in my head.

• nicethyme
    11 years ago

its OKay to do this once in a while,,, I told my daughter just tonight, its alright to start over if you just aren't feeling it.

how are those slippers Slow?

• texaswild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

INGEORGIA: WOW - that makes me feel better. My daughter, Suzie, beat up on me too, but I just can't give away something I don't like as much as I disliked that piece. Thank you, though. I haven't seen you post b/f. What do you do? W/love to see something from you. NANA - please run w/one of those ideas running around in your head. NT - I have one slipper covered w/bits of fabric and like what I've done. It took as much time to cut the bazillion beads off than to attach the fabric. Had to go to Hobby Lobby for embellishments, and can hardly wait to get started today. Spent lots of time on the net looking for more pointed toe, kitten heel mules. Lordy, those things are expensive - mostly on Ebay - pre-owned - only found one new pair, in my size but it wasn't offered in Buy Now, and I don't make bids on Ebay. Posting a picture of the WIP
    Altered Slippers WIP

• nicethyme
    11 years ago

oooh cool! those are excellent

• loribee2
    11 years ago

Nooooo Slow, don't throw it away! I think it's wonderful! C'mon, it's going to be the best conversation piece ever. I guarantee no one will come in Russ' house and not ask about the piece on the wall. You should give it to him and let him decide if he likes it or not. You can still make him something you like much better.

• loribee2
    11 years ago

On the subject of slumps, I have not been in a slump. I've been in a crazy mosaic frenzy making these pendants:

I've made over 60 of them so far and haven't come near exhausting myself on them. They are soooo fun. After making such larger yard art items, I'm loving something I can do a) indoors where it's warm and I can watch TV, and b) quickly. I can make a dozen of these in one weekend. I keep getting caught up in, "just one more" itis. And my friends are going crazy for them. I sell them for $20 each. They cost me about $4 each to make. And because they're so much lighter and more portable than my concrete pieces, I'm planning on doing shows.

I definitely think the cure for slump is to try something completely different. SLOW I love how you're experimenting with clothing. It reminds me that we never know what will come next. Maybe doing GOG mosaics on indoor vases? You know, the cheap glass ones that you get when someone sends you flowers. Okay, I've been married 25 years. I ain't getting many flowers these days, haha. But you can pick those up at garage sales cheap. Or how about candle holders, or coasters?

• texaswild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LORI: That's what I keep telling myself - go BACK to mosaicing little things like the vases, boxes etc. That's how it all started. The house is so full of all those things, I have hardly any room left. I bought a litle shrine off a Flickr artist - Elsie - and scrambled to find a place on the wall for it, cuz there's absolutely NO table space left. I keep thinking when all else fails, I can do as you suggest. Right now I'm in a cloth mode - taking a break from traditional mosaics. I'm sure when I get to PV I'll be inspired again - it always happens.

Your pendants are lovely. Isn't it wonderful to be into something you enjoy so much you don't want to sleep?

• loribee2
    11 years ago

LOL yes. Unfortunately, I have a day job so I only get to play on weekends. But your situation is one of the reasons I'm going to give craft shows a shot. I love making pendants and yard art, but I could use some help paying for the supplies, and then I seriously don't need tons of them. I hope the experience of doing a show is enjoyable because I'd like to keep making things, then selling the excess to pay for supplies to make more.

• ingeorgia
    11 years ago

Slow I am sorry that you are throwing that piece out. I think you are too close to it because I know people who would pay goood money for that. But I do understand. If I'm not happy with something it has to go.
    Well I do some GOG, some mosaic and a lot of other stuff. I have ADD and keep hopping from one thing to another. Have about ten things going at once. I'll try to get some photos but it can't promise it will be soon. Ya'll give me great inspiration ! Slow what size mules ?

• texaswild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

INGEORGIA: Thank you so much for the encouragement to keep trying new and different things. W/LOVE to see some of your work - please post pictures. Size 9 mules.

• ingeorgia
    11 years ago

Slow I will try to post but it will take me some time to do it. I have a few size 7 1/2 and 8's not being used, it was worth an ask.

• texaswild
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the offer.

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County