Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Trying again to make a patio hanging for my DD Shea

texaswild
12 years ago

The sun face failed miserably, so this is gonna work. I love making shrines, so the inspiration is there. The inspiration came during last night, and woke me so that I couldn't sleep for hrs. thinking of it. Have been crocheting and quilting until inspiration hit. FINALLY - W/need another coat of mortar - Mapei Ulra Flex 11 - cuz I made the structure w/Hardware Cloth instead of Diamond Lath - shoulda known better!!!! HC just isn't strong enough for something this large. It's 12" wide, 24" tall by 8" deep, and I plan to put a nice-sized candle holder w/a batter-powered candle inside. I considered electrifying it, but decided candlelight is more appropriate for this piece. No matter how I try, I can't EVER get these things straight - it leans, so I have it propped up best as I can, but it's still off kilter, so - my signature is all over it - crooked!!!

Shea's Patio Hanging Shrine

Comments (22)

• nicethyme
    12 years ago

factory made crap is straight... you could buy her something and she'll forget where it ever came from or you can make something and she'll smile and think of you everytime she looks at it! Can't wait to see this develop!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for that NT. Sitting in the den last night, I got even more inspiration. Gonna do some of that drilling, NT, and add some more lath/mortar to the front, and try to put some curlicues on the face of it. My mind!!! works backwards sometimes. Wish I'd for ONCE think things out b/f starting a project.

• nicethyme
    12 years ago

the curse of the creative mind! lol

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Got the attachment on and mortared the whole thing. Hope to slap the first tiles on tomorrow. It's STILL CROOKED. Got it propped up on the right side. Hopefully when it is hung, it won't be so noticeable. Woe is me.
    Shea's Patio Shrine

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

Hey!!I am liking this!

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Love the addition...now that's more like a Slow creation!!!

• nicethyme
    12 years ago

oo Love the scallops! cool

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Got the inside and front tiled. It outta be a sin to be having this much fun. I'm sooooooo loving this project.
    Shea's Shrine/

• nicethyme
    12 years ago

ooh, its gorgeous!

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

Yes gorgeous!!!!

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Good Grief!!!! Love it! Love the planter tags on the bottom...WOW! And all the mirror...sooooo B.L.I.N.G.Y.!!!She has GOT to love this!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, y'all. It's gonna be a race to the finish to get this finished b/f the birthday weekend - 27th. I'm having so much fun, but during ALL NIGHT I kept trying to figure out a way to add a string of small lights w/a bulb behind each scallop. I'll be heading to Lowes and the downtown electric/lamp store to see if a string can be made for it. THEN how the hay do I attach them. WHY oh WHY can't I think things out b/f I start something??!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Two days to grout!!!!!!!!! What a nightmare. No more 3-D stuff w/o using the push/sqush method. Had to use small paint brushes to apply grout and clean some areas. This is the biggest mess I've created in a LONG time. It evolved from sinple to the scalloped front, then decided to put lights behind each scallop, so off to Home Depot for supplies. Used an extension cord and snap-in sockets. Then I realized the hanger I embedded might not be strong enough, so added more to the back to incorporate into the existing hanger. That involved drilling, covering the wires w/lath, stitching it to the back, more mortar, etc. Nightmare is OVER. Waaay to large for DD's purposes, so w/have my yard man hang it on my patio. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Shrine

• nicethyme
    12 years ago

in a few days you'll appreciate it's beauty again.. I adore it

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

Oh yes i love it !!!

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Backlighting!!! Way Cool! Boy...wouldn't those guys at Home Depot freak out if they saw what you did with those lights!!!heh heh! Not to mention they probably think you are a contractor with all the lath they sell you!lol!
    ANOTHER WORK OF ART!!! Love It! Maybe it needs a stand to place it near your new bench!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, y'all. Makes me feel better when y'all comment favorably. CALAM: That w/be a grand idea, but the HD didn't have outdoor snap-in sockets, so it has to be under cover. Re people who want to see how I use the lath, a guy I was talking to at Lowes while waiting for the lath to be loaded, showed up to one day to see how I use it. Darrell, next door, says every time they have different people drop in, they comment on the front fountain, and can't believe a l'il ole lady made it.

• nicethyme
    12 years ago

HAHA... I am l'il ole lady, hear me ROAR! lol

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm happy to announce that she LOVES it and is thrilled to have it. She can't understand why I thought she wouldn't. Said it is deeper than she expected. I made it deeper to house a bottle (to hold an ivy in water) that her Dad pulled out of a stream in Brazil many years ago, a beautiful Damascene bottle (to hold a nosegay) I bought in Damascus and a little soap dish w/a rabbit (as a gardener, rabbits aren't her friend) on it to hold a votive. I'm so happy I could dance that she wants it as soon as we can get it to Dallas. She and her DH w/have to make a day trip to pick it up.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

How could they not love it!!! (25 more sleeps till PV!!!)Now about you inviting men over...I thought we had a talk about that!!!Bless Your Heart!heh heh hee ho!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Why doncha just go ahead and tell that story, CALAM. You l'il heifer!!!

• nicethyme
    12 years ago

well happy endings!!! and yeah Jane, tell the story?

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?