Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grout colorant

Posted by gretch1964 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 5, 08 at 17:16

has anyone used these?? I went to lowes the other day to get grout. Not much of a choice in sanded grout which i like to use. And today we went to home depot. They have more colors but not all the ones i would love to try. Giggle. Bf rolled his eyes and said yeah honey. LOL.. So i saw these on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/GROUT-COLORANT-3-oz-bottle-MOSAICS-Cement_W0QQitemZ230208662641QQihZ013QQcategoryZ41372QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grout colorant

use them all the time! I only every buy white and black grouts, every other color I make myself.

o

I've never used these either! I've only used the quickcrete liquid stuff. And just the black in that to darken my gray grout!
Where do you get yours from NT?

o

Personally I use Rit dyes to color my grout, but that Ebay seller also has an Etsy store. They live only about 30 minutes from me so I had contacted them for a pickup instead of shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beachcrafter's Etsy Store

o

So are those possibly the same grout colorants that
Clare Dohna uses in her mosaics??? Looking
for INTENSITY of color here :)
Linlee

o

Doesnt Clare Dohna make all her tiles using clay and a kiln? that could explain her color intensity on all her stuff. I think I remember reading that about her.

o
i've been rejected again...

Yes she does...however I am referring to those amazing
grout colors. How is that done???huh???

o

Ritz dye? Really? Hmmm I never thought about that.
A while back Lowes had some stuff on sale. It was the "part A" of the spectralock stuff. I think that's just the coloring agent isn't it? Could you add it to regular grout to change the color?

o

... nah, it's also the "aggregate" for spectralock which is an epoxy system grout... high quality but high $$ too and caustic as well.

I use the cement colorants from Delphi

o

Linlee- after I posted I realized you were talking about the grout. Her grout color is always so bright..your right I wonder how she does it.

Those colorants are pretty vibrant arent they on the links you guys gave. Do you think they stay that bright when mixed with white?

o
RE: thought I'd try

I emailed Clare Dohna about her grout color, hoping see will answer me back...couldnt hurt to ask I thought!!!

o

I have not tried the colorants either. I have some too.

HRSG, Rit dye. Hummmmmmmmmm do you mix it in water and then into the grout or mix the dry into the grout then add the water? When I use the paints for color the grout dries much lighter. How is it with the Rit dyes?

Chris

o

Shades - I used black Rit dye on the violin for the holiday exchange. I just mixed it in dry. It seems to dry a little darker.

DH stuffed my stocking with several little bottles of the Mosaic colorants, so I will be playing around with that.

o

Thanks Tamar. I think I am going to try this next opportunity I have to grout something dark.

Chris

o

The Rit dye works best when you add the dry dye ti warm water, and let it dissolve. Use as much as you like to get the darker outcome.

I've found if you use the dry dye you get speckles in your grout sometimes. Which can be good in some instances depending on your taste.

Mixing the dyes gives you a wide range of colors to choose from.

o

I have used the colorants from Beachcrafters and am still experimenting and learning....a little goes a loooong way,
it always dries darker. It says to mix with water first, but I just sprinkle the dry powder while mixing up the white. Works for me! Good Luck!

o

For some reason, I do not remember why, I have several boxes of dye. I am going to have to try this. Thanks for the idea.

Chris

o

I have the colorants from Delphi,but I think I'm going to give the rit dye a try

Maria

o

Oh cool you guys. Now i will go to the store and get some rit and try that too. Woot think i will have fun playing around. Thanks for all your help.

o

I used RIT dye to color grout too. But, It didn't last long with a outdoor mosaic.
The lime green faded back to almost white. Any suggestions to keep the color?

o

Well THAT'S important information to know!!! Thanks meadel.
Back to hoping you get a response from Clare Dohna, Chickee.

o

10 -1 she uses tints-all
and yeah, I really didn't think Rit would be all that colorfast

o

Where might one find this 'Tint's All"?
I got nothin' from Google.

o
Nevermind...

Found it at the 'Do-It Best Center.

o
RE: Grout colorant 2

also at http://www.sculpt.com/ under pigments.

Slow learned of it from Laurel True I think and everyone swears it's nonfading

o

I have used Tints All & it didn't fade outside for me. I love this stuff. And it comes in many colors & you can make it as deep of the color or light of the color you want.

I buy mine at Home Depot in the paints department - it's for coloring your paint & comes in little tubes. There is a chart to show you all the different colors & color tones with each color. I think if I remember correctly they are $3 - $4 a tube & they last forever.

It does dry lighter than what you see when mixing.

o

cacbeary,
Have you seen Clare Dohna's website? I'm looking for that kind of color saturation..in your opinion having used the product, is this the stuff?
Linlee

o

I seal all my pieces, and have not had any color fade in the dyed grout. Guess it depends what sealer you use, if any, and if it is exposed to elements.

o

Linlee - I think it's what you are looking for. Look at this site with the tints all tubes. They have the circle with the color on it. But if you went to Home Depot it would show you a light, medium, & dark of each color. And I'm sure you could also make your own color combinations.

Look at some of the colors - tangerine. Only purple though is the lilac. I bet she mixed & made her own colors.

My pieces were exposed to all the elements with lots of direct sun but during winter months I just put on my covered porch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tints All

o

The guy at Mosaicartsupply says that Tints All is the ONLY colorant that won't fade w/time.

o

Thanks for the tints all link...they have glow in the dark pigment powder. Wow how cool is that!!!!

Im gonna try some of that tints all for my chair when its done I think..now I have to figure out what color I want to use.

o

Gretch, I use the grout colorant that you linked on e-bay. I have used it for 2 1/2 years with no problem of fading. I have one tube of tint but haven't used it yet. I also use acrylic paints to tint my grout.

o

OMG..... That's another reason why I love this forum!! I have 7 tubes of tints all in my craft room right now! I never thought to use it for grout!! I bought it at Home Depot in the paint section. ( think I got some in a paint store too! ) I use it for mixing wall paint ( for my faux paint crafts) Holy crud... hitting my head!

hrsg: I used the rit dye for a birdbath.. It was pretty exposed to the elements!)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here