Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmck_nc_gw

my lamp project

jmck_nc
15 years ago

Well, I'm cooking now! My first project took 3 months, the second one took 3 months, this one...3 days! I'm feeling a bit more confident with experience and learn something new with each one. Lesson learned on this...if you write on the base object in pencil it WILL show through clear glass. Advice welcome on whether I should do something to the shade or leave it alone. I have some tan linen fabric or sort of net fabric I could dress up the shade with...but I don't want to over do it.

Thanks,

Judy

Comments (12)

• bearbubbacowboy
    15 years ago

It's beautiful!!!!!!!!!!! Great job.....Love the stoneware tiles.........Catherine

• fiddlekate
    15 years ago

Wow! Your lamp is gorgeous! I love the combination of tiles and.... they are shell pieces, right?
    It's beautiful! And who cares how long it takes... you did it! And now.. you're hooked! :)
    (I haven't ever grouted my first piece! Just hung it on the wall... and there it is! :)

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Great job with your lamp. Love it.

Kathy

• jmck_nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! Yes, those are shell pieces I've been picking up on the outer banks of NC for years. I mosaiced a birdbath with them about 8 years ago and it fell apart in weeks...so I decided I couldn't use them...until I found all the great info here. Now maybe I'll try the birdbath again. The bottom is a deep blue glass, but it's hard to tell in the photo.
    Judy

• carolann_z8
    15 years ago

What a pretty lamp. You did good.
    I think the shade would be pretty re-covered.

You're on a roll girl!!!

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Stunning. Those shells are beautiful.

• sabrinacarr
    15 years ago

That is stunning! I LOVE those shells!!! I thought they were rocks...I have never seen such shells. They look like little rainbows. Excellent job. And don't sweat the time it takes...my powder room mosaic has been 3 years in the making!
    I think a deep blue shade would be beautiful.

• phish_gw
    15 years ago

the comment - I think the shade looks a little dull compared to the awesome base. So part of me says you should get/make a funner shade. But at the same time, you'd hate to have a shade that would take away attention from the base. Maybe a simple but smaller shade?

the question - does the grout really look like sand or is it just in the picture? And if so, how did you get grout to look like sand?

• wishdish
    15 years ago

Wow, what a pretty lamp. I love it. I think the shade you have is okay, and kind of ties in because of the glass globs appearing kinda white, but I think it would be nice a little less white - maybe the tan linen fabric you have would be good if it's not too dark. Great job!!!

• jmck_nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

phish, the grout is a color called almond that I hoped would look like sand and I guess I got lucky.

I did doctor up the shade a bit yesterday and I'm not sure I like it...it steals your attention from the lamp itself. I'll post a picture later if I can get to hubby's computer...can't do it from the laptop because of my weird operating system.
    Thanks,
    Judy

• robin_ssi
    15 years ago

Just beautiful the way it is. The linen may be a nice addition but it's really pretty just like it is.

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

I think it is beautiful the way it is!! Really a keeper & great addition to any room. Love the "sand" color of the grout, it's just right & compliments the tiles, glass globs & shells!! The edge of shade looks about the color of the grout. Jan

Sponsored