Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anneinva_2009

adhesive for glass

anneinva_2009
14 years ago

I read somewhere about adhesive for glass. I can't find it now, but what is best for glass on glass?

thanks

anne

Comments (8)

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

lots of choices, Mac is super clear but has no holding ability on pieces right at first - so its best for 2D projects. GEII silicone is best for outdoors because it won't rehydrate, but can yellow just a bit. Weldbond is a standard white glue but it can take alond time to clear up.

• anneinva_2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago

where have you found these products? do they carry them at home depot or lowes?

• texaswild
    14 years ago

GEII for windows/doors is my choice, and it is one $ cheaper than Lowes at Walmart.

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

I get my Mac from Marylandmosaics.com and usually find good deals on Weldbond at Amazon

• mzclassic
    14 years ago

I also use GE Silicone II for windows and doors and haven't had a bit of trouble with it. Lexel is another good glue for glass on glass cause it dries clear.

Donna in Florida

• becky_ia
    14 years ago

All of the above mentioned will work. But there are other products as well.

But it really depends on what you are using it for. Will this be inside or outdoors? Will it get wet-does it need to be waterproof? What is your base? Is it porus or dense? Ceramic, wood, terracotta? Or are you using it glass on glass?

Other products I have used are:

E-6000 - flexible, waterproof, non flammable and photo safe

9001 - high strength adhesive that is clear, bonds to terracotta, ceramic, plastic, metal and glass and is waterproof.

Beacon 527-multi-use glue which is great for glass, metal, cork, tile, china, shells, lieather, ceramic, wood, paper. Strong, waterproof, flexible and dries crystal clear.

Liquid Nails - Clear Seal which is more like a silicone sealant, clear, waterproof with excellent adhesion and flexibility.

Most can be found at Hobby Lobby.

If you are using glass on glass, I would use Mac Glue or Beacon 527.

becky

• jbell327_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

My wife used the E-6000 on a project doing stained glass on a tempered glass top. Looked very nice for about 2 days and she started to notice that the stained glass started to crack. We then replaced the cracked pieces and after about 3 or 4 more days we noticed more pieces were cracking. Now a year later the piece has all the stained glass cracked and actually popping out pieces of glass shards. This was a very big disappointment because the piece she did was over 300 pieces of stained glass.
    We are looking for a adhesive that wont crack stained glass mounted to glass because she wants to do more glass on glass but is very gun shy on what to use. Could we get some ideas on what we can use without having to worrry if the glass will crack again?

• texaswild
    12 years ago

In all the posts I've read on this and other forums re this subject, I've come to the conclusion that if ever I want to work on a GOG, I'll use Mack Glue. They say it drys more quickly, has no discoloration, and is strong.

Sponsored