Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattie_2008

grouting questions

mattie_2008
14 years ago

Hi all, I have just finished laying my tile and am wondering about the possibility about using a couple of different colors of grout on one piece of work. Can anyone give me some advice on how to do this? This is my Don Quixote piece (shown below under the heading of "how to post pictures", and I was just going to use white grout because of the prevelence of white in the background but the black tile that the horse is made of broke in such angled shapes that white will really really show. Does anybody have any ideas as to what they would do? What's the common thought on grout? major contrast or not?

Thanks

Mattie

Comments (4)

• texaswild
    14 years ago

NT is the queen of multiple grout colors on one piece, so no doubt she'll pop in here. I've not done it, but in reading of others' techniques, taping off the areas seems to be the way they do it. Re color - I switched to charcoal for everything more than a year ago, and have found my favorite and w/stick w/it. Occasionall, though, I use black. I like the contrast w/black, but like the charcoal that shows up most everything well.

• wackyweeder
    14 years ago

You can also do a paint wash over the grout after you grout also, use slightly watered down acrylic paint, and it will wipe off your tesserae. its much easier to darken grout than to lighten it. So if its a small area you are worried about painting might be easier, but aside from that taping it off.

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

like everyone said, use painters tape. My advice from past experiences - do your darker colors first, go through the complete cleanup and then tape it off to do the light colors. The reason is the dust from one color will stain another, would be a serious issue with white. Doing graduated colors is not that big a concern since some blend is okay.

and yes a paint wash can save your butt sometimes, never rule it out

• mattie_2008
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for your advice, I'm going to think about it for a few days and then jump in. My initial thought is to go with white and then paint, seems so much easier! I'll post a pic when I'm done.
    Mattie

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH