Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texaswild

Queen of Country

texaswild
14 years ago

Started this today. Don't know where I'm going w/the crown - an old piece off a roll of tin I bought years ago. Dress it up, or leave it country? The pupils w/get a white bead for highlights after grouting.

WIP

Comments (27)

• emtnest
    14 years ago

Very cool!!!! don't know why I like body parts so much but I do..people ask why I have a torso and a leg in my house...they just don't get it....but when they see my Janae leg finished it's like oh wow, that's different... love your stuff!!!

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

LOL thats EXCELLENT!

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

That is going to be fun!!! very cool!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks y'all. Here's progress. Can't figure out what to do w/the hair. Still don't know whether to gussie up the crown. Any suggestions w/be appreciated.
    Queen

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

love what you did with the neckline! oh I think you HAVE to gussy up that crown - its needs bling! lol

• gardencrone
    14 years ago

Me too. Bling for sure. She looks like the kind of woman who would want to be fully dressed before she went out. lol. Gussied up.

• cathyscache
    14 years ago

BLING definetly!!!! I'm sure when your done with her she'll be total BLING!!!! You won't quit til she is LOL!!!!! Great project!!!!

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Oh Ya, she is lookin' a lil Plain Jane!!!lol! BLING HER OUT!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

LOL @ Calam

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

CALAM - that was EXACTLY what I wanted to use for her crown, but the two cake tins I had weren't the right colors, so I used the old tin. I missed seeing that piece last year. Guess it got lost in the eviction. I'll be leaving a week from Sunday. Here's today's progress. HobLob didn't have flesh-colored glass, so I used glue chip glass. Can y'all BELIEVE I did this to myself. It w/be weeks, maybe months b/f the Weldbond dries, so I have to find another project until this dries. I'll work on the crown in the meantime. Creating another grouting nightmare.
    Flesh covered

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

oh yeah, you're going to have a long wait... but I look forward to seeing what you do to the crown!

• gardencrone
    14 years ago

Well, you could "pretend" that she is from MN and call her the Ice Princess for right now. Looks like she was caught in an ice storm (actually could be Florida too...lol) I'm sure she will thaw out with such great comments from the gallery. So what is glue chip glass?

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

Maybe she could use some of that gold glass up on her crown? Just border stuff maybe? Off to PV! Oh man, ya gotta take lots of pics for us to see!!! Be our eyes and our ears...and tastebuds!ha!

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

crone, glue chip is the same glass that VanGogh is made of. it has an etched pattern like frosted leaves or feathers. Its made by baking animal hide glue on its surface and it chips it in these patterns. heres a pic of single but you can get double (twice treated) for a busier pattern. Its cheaper that sg and you can paint it to make your own VG

Here is a link that might be useful:

• gardencrone
    14 years ago

Nicethyme. Thanks! I think I have a bunch of it in the pile of scraps I just got from the stained glass store. I didn't know that was how they made it. Actually I tried to make a color on one by painting on glue and then putting some metallic type eye shadow on the surface. (think I read that somewhere here) Ah well, I have enough to "experiment". I appreciate your description and photo. :)

• emtnest
    14 years ago

Her majesty is amazing!

• addiesue
    14 years ago

Slow...you are SO much fun! She looks like an Egyptian queen for sure. I too like the bling! Are you going to put somewhere inside or do you have a special place picked out for her in the house?

Addiesue

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, y'all. There are just two little spots that have a teensy bit of wet Weldbond. When I return from PV, I'll work on the crown - got the outside of it covered, but have to do the inside. Have no place in my house for her. A gallery about two hrs. from me, where I've sold recently, asked that I bring more stuff in, so she'll probably be placed there, along w/a few other things. My house if full.

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

time to buy a new house and start over! LOL kidding, I love your queendom! wow the weldbond dried faster than I expected... have a great trip Slow

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

She was doomed to the trash until I toss the crown and substituted the pearls. I made so many mistakes on this - don't like her, but tired of trying to salvage her. She is what she is!!! W/try to do better on the next one.
    Finished Wig Stand

• nicethyme
    14 years ago

and see - I was amazed when I saw her on Flickr, I think shes fabulous. The pearls were inspired, she makes me think of Cleopatra.

what mistakes do you think you made? cause I can't see anything but a great save!

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

I like her so much better with the pearls!!!Onley you know the mistakes.She is great!!!

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Many thanks, y'all. The pearls for hair was DD's idea. Wish it was mine, and yes, she looks a bit Cleoish. The lips I screwed up - left them blank, but it looked awful, so I filled them in w/joint compound and painted them. I have a couple more of these stands, but won't be sooooo anxious to work on either of them. This was a rush to a project when I finished the pet grave marker. Shows me not to rush the inspiration - there wasn't ANY, and it shows. Thanks, anyway.

• emtnest
    14 years ago

Slow, I love her...and yes she does look Cleopatraish...

• calinromania
    14 years ago

wow. she's pretty. and yea. she's like the Cleopatra of Disco.
    :)

• texaswild
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, y'all.

• Calamity_J
    14 years ago

I love how she looks, especially her face, she has a real "look" going on!!!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!