Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

The old Beater, wip

nicethyme
15 years ago

another small study of depth and distance, was mostly about the trees and road but then I put this truck on and it sort of became the subject

the truck measure 2 inches tall

Comments (28)

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

got the painting done

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Awesome. Am I seeing right, is the truck SG?? Great job

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yep, the bumper is mirror which I scarred up and painted under, the lic plate is plate shard as well as the roof. I printed out a pic of that tailgate, colorized it in photoshop to match my blue glass and glued it under clear glass. The clear had a rust stain and then I dropped it and it broke in a great way! lol red glass for tail lights and a white mother of pearl irridescent for the rear window. oh and I painted under the blue glass that shows the back of the bed - so it would be darker and beat up looking

• aka_strawberrygoat
    15 years ago

fascinating....do you have trouble sleeping, at night???

do you keep a sketch book, by the bedside, to draw, in the dark, by the light of a full moon, or something?

where do these ideas come from?...
    always intriguing.. and getting smaller and smaller....
    I know....you got some of the cookies, that Alice in Wonderland ate, didn't you?
    fess up....whazzzup?....

I love each and every one of them!

Becky ;(*_*);

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Awesome! I am thankful that you share all your steps when you create...now if you can just share some of that energy and talent!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

OH MY GOOD GRIEF!!! You are AMAZING!!! Yet Another facinating project!!! Your painting is amazing...and the truck is OVER THE TOP!!! For some reason I was thinking egg beater before I opened this thread...like what's she up to now???? hee hee!

• pghgardnewbie
    15 years ago

Wow. I had to really stare at it for awhile, because I wasn't sure quite what I was seeing! The longer I looked, though, the more I saw- there are a lot of really amazing subtleties in your work. You seem to really take a lot of care in the processing of your materials, and it really shows-there is a real "painterly" quality to the glasswork that complements the subject matter. Very nice!

Now, will you leave it as a mixed media piece, or mosaic the rest of the painted areas?

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thankyou Kati, Cindiloo, Becky, Jane and Pgh.

it will get completely mosaiced, mostly in clear glass and tempered glass... like Virginia Winter, my point is to learn how tesserae sizes and andamento create depth in a scene. I'm trying to see grout lines as a necessary element.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Okay, I admit that I had to go look the word "andamento" up on the internet...and just got lost for like 1/2hr/45minutes!!!lol! I even had to grab a writing pad to write some inpiration down!!hehe!!! It's funny cuz here I am drooling over this new creation streak of yours and don't a whole bunch of paints come into the thrift store I work at?!! And of course I could get tempered glass ANY time I want as we are also a recyling plant!!! It's a vertual scroungers heaven!!! My coworkers are blown away by what I do with bits of junk!!! They have started saving me all the stained glass that comes in, which is mostly old 70's broken lamps and such, which I re-purpose!!yehaw! So Nce, what is your base, a artist easel?

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL being at the thrift all day I bet you have the time to ponder using alot of stuff in cool ways! base? Its a hunk of hardiebacker - cement board

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Yup, only $11/hr, but the PERKS...oooohhhh the PERKS!!!!It is part of a Recyling plant and we have a building and a large area all around it for our TS. It ain't no sissy store neither, no heat, no insulation, leaking roof, a large shed actually...the city dump is more organized!lol! Just 4 of us staff and 30x50 space, with LOTS of unwanteds dropped off every 5 minutes...sometimes we get pure junk, (people too lazy to go to the dump, we are right in town, and we are free)It's a mad house and we never get on top of it so I'm really bagged most days so haven't had the energy or brain matter to create! We are the only recycling depot and are run by a non profit group(First recycle in Canada)(I used to be on the BOD)(They roped me in cuz I shopped there so much!lol!) and we have 700 cars a day come thru our plant. BUSY!!! It's fun to call the prices tho, it sorta like bartering! and of course to get rid of the stuff we have a straight $2/bag every day too!!! Okay I'm sorry for rambling....I am just so envious of you talent!!!! Jane

• crackpotannie
    15 years ago

my gosh I didn't know you were a painter too!!this piece is really awesone and should win a prize somewhere..who knew you could do a truck like this ,I'm in awe of your talent!!!and big words ha ha....

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Annie! where have you been hiding? I've been thinking about you ever since I saw my FAVORITE mosaics by you on the 2008 yearbook CD - beautiful work!

thank you but I can't really paint at all - never been any good at it! I'm sort of stalled out till I can break my TG... was setting up to do it today when an ice storm moved in and we couldn't finish cutting the luan

• squirrellycanadian
    15 years ago

I just Love these!! What an awesome idea for the truck, so very creative! Love it!

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Another wonderful piece of artwork Nice.
    I learn so much from you.
    I cannot put it into "art" terms but it is definately work I can "feel".

• Mermaid
    15 years ago

NT, what can I say that hasn't been said?? Another absolutely incredibly artistic wip!!! Can you teach us how think NT style??

It's just over the top dont' step in all of the drool being deposited!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Texas, Squirrelly and Mermaid

I did get a chance to add the TG today

• fiddlekate
    15 years ago

OH NT! This is awesome!

• meadel
    15 years ago

You've already gotten my vote ! This is awesome !! just awesome !!!

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

OMG!!! THAT is AMAZING!!! OH Nice, You are of Woman of Many Talents!!!! Standing ovation/cheering mao!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL you guys are so funny, Jane - you are one of those amazing artists with a great number of talents and you inspire me.

Meadel - maybe I won't enter against that fabulous brick tunnel! RAZZZZZZZ LOL

Thank you Kate, Jane and Lori!

• meadel
    15 years ago

Hey NT..pffffffftttt
    That Chevy alone is over the top !!

• meadel
    15 years ago

the title alone " the beater" is a sign for sure !!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LMAO!

I grouted tonight... the glue on the road gravel is not dry yet

I made rust colored grout for the truck from charcoal and terracotta! lol

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

WOW!!! Perfect rust! And I LOVE the bird too! This is just Amazing...I can't describe how cool I think it is!!! WOW!!!
    Ya better send me the contest site!!!

• meadel
    15 years ago

I'm drooollliinngg over this one !!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jane, I posted it to Meadel's Vanishing point thread for ya

thank you both

• nanatricia
    15 years ago

That is such breathtaking !!!!!!!!!!!!! so neat!!!!
    what do I say every on has said it.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!