Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iminmystudio

black grout going white, why?

iminmystudio
15 years ago

Hello from Sydney Australia!

I just found this forum last night and I've read heaps of post and looked at lots of photos, wow some beautiful work.

I've been making and selling stained glass art for a few years now and love it with a passion but I need help. I really want to make big mosiac water bowls for outside to float candles or flowers in, my problem is that I love black grout and whenever I fill a black grouted bowl with water and leave it for any length of time the grout seems to bleed white powder almost like salt, even with glass on glass applications so it's not the surface.

The latest grout I used is called Mapie ultra colour and is made specifically for swimming pools and it still does it, I have talked to lots of experts/trades men and they say it must be the glue I use(silicon), so I did a test bowl not gluing anything on it, I just smeared the grout around the bowl let dry way over the recommended time, filled it with water and it still went white.

The guys at the tile shop are great and told me to bring it in and they will follow it up with the rep. But I thought you guys might have an idea while I wait for answers?

I did try searching but couldn't find anything.

Cheers Deb

Comments (7)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES