Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
astara_gw

Fun suggestion

astara
13 years ago

I was reading Calin's post and had an idea. We should do a material swap. I have some really great things laying around that I haven't gotten around to using. Maybe if we get a simple package in the mail w/some odds and ends - it would bump up our supply and inspire us to do something new!!!! What do you think?

Comments (16)

• wackyweeder
    13 years ago

Its been done here before, everyone enjoyed it. They used a standard flat rate box and stuffed it full.

• a.girl.named.max
    13 years ago

Can you give some examples of the odds and ends?

• silvamae
    13 years ago

I'm in. Just decide on the size of the flat rate box. Medium is a good size; I think that medium flat rate costs about $10.40 to mail. I like these exchanges best when we have a general idea what the recipient likes (flowers, the color, broken plates, stained glass, tile, etc.). I have lots of all of it.

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

Sounds like fun....and I agree a general idea of what the recipient likes or works most with would be very helpful and make a better box to receive. Count me in.

On the garden junk site there is gonna be a spring fling.....so much fun is about to get started.

• astara
    Original Author
    13 years ago

@ a girl named max - I was thinking glass, ceramic, beads, ect. Anything laying around you haven't used yet and you think someone would love. Having an idea of what people like is good. I have never planned one of these. So - do we just get a list of who is in then swap some addresses? I do not know everyone here very well so do we add a wish list to our names, or a description of what we work with/would like to work with?

• wackyweeder
    13 years ago

Odds and ends-anything someone might potentially use as tesserae-old marbles, jewelry pieces, fancy pebbles,cup handles, beads, plastic childrens toys,salt and pepper shakers,nuts bolts, old locks and keys,small magnets,bottle caps,practically anything!
    In the past when this was done, once the details were worked out, whoever was coordinating would post a thread for sign up. That person would be sent the addresses and dole them out at the proper time. Also, when this was done before it was decided that no preferences be listed so the person might receive materials that would stretch their creativity in new ways.
    Im just providing suggestions for ya'll-you can totally do a whole new thing!

• astara
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I also like the idea of no preferences. So many people requested that, I think, so as to make sure to get stuff we can use. I have not worked with a lot of material as I am newish and dont spend as much time on my mosaics. And honestly, am afraid of methods or materials I have never used. But I could always use a challenge. Either way works for me. I am getting excited - and I already have a box 1/2 packed. So if you want I will organize.

• silvamae
    13 years ago

Fabulous! Thanks so much for volunteering, Astara. Just tell us what size box and I will start packing. I myself prefer the medium flat rate box but will go with the majority. Last time we did this we all mailed, opened, and posted pictures around the same time so it was a party on here. Can't wait!

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

Thanks for volunteering to organize this new adventure Astra. Any size box works for me and I'm gonna start my collection immediately. Was planning a trip to the TS this afternoon anyway.....so now I have a good reason to drop in there. They usually have do-able jewelery parts as well as who nows what!! Woo-Hoo let the fun begin!!!

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

Gotta come up with a good name to refer to this exchange. Lotta loot.......Traveling supplies.......Spring Share.....Moving Goods. I kinda like Spring Share...but I'm sure more suggestions will be submitted.

• astara
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I like Spring Share and Lotta loot! Good names, I would have been boring and just said - "Material Swap" See how inexperienced I am on these forums!

• glassgypsy
    13 years ago

Count me in! Sounds like a lot of fun!

• jenel
    13 years ago

I love it!

• texaswild
    13 years ago

I think this shot in the arm is the perfect thing to get this form back up and running. Count me in too. Going to the P.O. today to get the box. Thanks, ASTARA, for taking the initiative.

• silvamae
    13 years ago

Spring Share-a-Lotta-Loot!

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

Woo Hoo I think we are on a roll........Spring Share-a-Lotta-Loot needs to get started!!!

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County