Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pmeverett_gw

Interested in Mosiac

pmeverett
12 years ago

Hi All,

I have been reading the forums and have to say from the pictures that I have seen there is some really beautiful work here. I am interested in trying my hand at mosaic but am at a loss as to where to start to learn more.

Can anyone point me in a direction that they took to learn more? I have been looking at books and other information online, but am unsure as to where to start.

Thanks

P

Comments (4)

• texaswild
    12 years ago

What w/you like your first project to be? My suggestion is to start w/a small project - say a flower pot, a vase, or picture frame. Since you've read the books, then follow the instructions given in the beginning of most books - gather your tesserae, your glue, nippers or hammer, break or nip them up and start gluing them onto whatever your project is. It's as simple as that. If you're making a flower pot, my suggestion is to make one for inside, cuz for outside, a different adhesive is necessary. Once you start, you'll become inspired as to more difficult projects. As to design, Google the net - there a tons of them. Also, for tutorials, the net has all kinds of tutorial videos and instructions. That's where I started. Welcome to the forum, and if we can be of further help, don't hesitate to ask. We love Newbies. Be warned, this is a very addictive hobby. Betcha you'll be hooked from the first project.

• silvamae
    12 years ago

Hi and welcome, pmeverett. I have written several how-to articles; below is a link to one of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's mosaic instructions

• pmeverett
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you both for your input I appreciate it. I haven't purchased any books yet, so if anyone has any recommendations, I would appreciate it. I did take a look at your site Silva and you have some beautiful work!

I plan on making my first project a small one to begin with, maybe start with a simple mirror. Then move on to other projects. It may be a while before I can start anything at all, as I am really trying to organize my basement and create some space for the things I would like to do. But I figured I can do some reading and learning before jumping in!

Thank you!
    Pat

• texaswild
    12 years ago

I recommend "Mosaics" - (Inspiration and Original Projects for Interiors and Exteriors) by Kaffe Fassett and Candace Bahouth. It's my favorite of tons of other books I have. You can get used books on Amazon.com. I've purchased several of the used books as gifts, trying to inspire some of my friends to jump into mosaics.

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets