Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tamar_422

Gorilla Glue Disaster

tamar_422
16 years ago

So, I've been working on the wedding cake for my niece, finally found a suitable cake plate, and decided to attach it last night before going to bed. Instead of using my trusty E6000, I foolishly decided to use some left-over Gorilla Glue we had in the laundry room.

BIG MISTAKE!

The fine print was too small for me to attempt to read that late at night, but apparently Gorilla Glue expands to 4X (why? who knows?). When I woke up this morning, there was a bubbly, syrupy grossness oozing out from under my cake, and creeping up its sides! It took a while to get the mess off with paint thinner, and I was almost afraid the cake was a total loss.

Oh well. Live and learn.

Comments (15)

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Yep, ya gotta baby sit that glue! It is excellent for fixing busted furniture though. My moving crew taught me that.
    Glad you could save your cake... Have we seen that? PICS!

• d3bbi
    16 years ago

Yikes! Thanks for the heads up; I've never used Gorilla Glue. Glad you were able to salvage your cake.

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

OUCH! Thanks for sharing...hope your get your cake back to perfection. Can't wait for the PICTURES!

• meadel
    16 years ago

I'll bet it made the " waaWaaWaa" sound ( like in the Little Rascals episode..
    Maybe I watched too much TV in my young days.)

I never had good experience with that monkey business! You should see my Birkenstock sandals . There is foam dripping out of the soles..
    SO sorry.. What a mess and extra stress you had !

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

LOL ---------- I remember the waaWaaWaa sound !

• Shades_of_idaho
    16 years ago

Heheheh I remember that sound too.

OH Tamar so sorry for your disaster and glad you were able to salvage it.

I have messed with Gorilla glue too and you do have to baby sit it for a VERY long time!!! The STUFF in the can is even more fun!!! NOT But it cuts off nicely. Not so Gorilla glue. Good to know paint thinner will get it off.

Chris

• cacbeary
    16 years ago

Tamar - I feel your pain. I did that once too. Wicked stuff but it holds strong.

• curbdiver1954
    16 years ago

I agree you have to REALLY babysit curing Gorila Glue, but haven't had a problem with removal. Had to take it off a mosaiced teapot tower (repaired the handle), but it came right off with a sharp razor blade...left very little residue. I've also had to 'pop' off bubbles of it in various places, but again found it easy to remove. Hope that's not bad omen for the projects I used it on or that I used it for the wrong thng!!

Pat

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

THAT SUCKS!!! Got pics?!

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Yes that does suck...I have some of that stuff and was surprised when I found that out. BUT I was fortunate cause I was just testing its holding capablities against another glue I had wanted to use and so it was nothing I cared about if it ruined it.

I am so glad you were able to salvage it!!! I dont know if I would have thought about using paint thinner!!!

Donna

• bloominmare
    15 years ago

I keep a variety of glues because one-size does not fit all. I am about to use gorilla glue on the gasket that seals the upper and lower barrel of a cement mixer. Who cares what slops out of the seam--like the cement is going to care.

As for the wa-wa-wa sound, it appears all the time in Charlie Brown specials--that's the sound of adults talking to kids.

• meadel
    15 years ago

How nice of you to join us bloomin ! Welcome!
    I hope the glue is effective in sealing your upper and lower flaps.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Been there, done that. My little shovel sits outside by the wheelbarrow full of flowers in spring/summer w/the goo covered up in posies.

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

I did use it to my advantage on the Hey Diddle mirror, when I sandwiched the chicken wire between the 2 pieces of luann for the doors. I relied on the gorilla glue to fill the gap. It did get most of it and I only had to use wood filler in a few places.

• texasfern
    15 years ago

Sorry for the disaster, but thankful for the heads up.
    Lookin forward to seeing some pictures.

Sponsored