Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiki_thinking

Using a photo to make a mosaic questions

kiki_thinking
12 years ago

I have a photo of my daughter standing in front of a lake with yellow flowers all around her. I want to do a mosaic with stained glass on glass.

I've found several websites for quilters that describe how to break a photographed image down into a few tones, using the posterize function in photoshop and how to select fabric by tone. I bought some red film that i can lay over my colored glass in order to accurately perceive the light or dark values of the colors.

I have weldbond and e6000 glue. This will be my first attempt at a GOG mosaic.

I dont have a grinder or a ring saw, is it possible to use glass shapes that are a little rough? Maybe just smoothing them with a knife sharpener file?

Mostly right now im just trying to decide where my grout lines will be. Do you just follow the outlines of lighter and darker colors, and allow those natural divisions to become the grout lines?

What types of andamento are good for water or sky?

Im sorry my questions are so beginnerish. Ive read the last 60 pages of this site in the last week or so, but i dont see much info about how to lay out an image in preparation for mosaicing and about the ramifications of your choices in andamento and outlining with the grout spaces. Maybe that is more of something that comes along with having art training, i dont know..

I was hoping that those of you who have done portraits and landscapes in stained glass could give me some pointers before i start? Like how wide a grout line could be before it looks clunky?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer