Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

house on the hill

nicethyme
11 years ago

back in 2010, I was having a recurring vision at night, drew it out and decided to mosaic it..

I didn't have much tess and figured on going TG as a background for savings,,, but paint supplies were also really poor at that time and I was sort of forced to go with colors that really were un inspiring.. I think it shut me down and I put it away.

last night I was looking for hardibacker to make something and came across this instead... so I'm trying something I have never been able to do before,,, restart something

Comments (41)

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

the wrong turn with color choices! I may yet do TG background but these colors BLECH

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

so I painted it white again (I didn't even have white on the shelve back then) and started playing

• ItsmeChickadee
    11 years ago

I love this so far, although I have no idea what TG means. Inquiring mind(s) would like to know! This is very whimsical and kind of Seuss-y.
    Becky

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Becky, its always struck me as being Dr Seuss like too. TG is tempered glass or was called crash glass for a while, - its just broken tempered glass

• texaswild
    11 years ago

As I posted on Flickr - so glad you picked this up again. Unbelievable dreams, girlie. What is the subs. for this? Gonna be fun to watch. You mean you started this b/f you finished Poppies?

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had a strange issue come up on the poppies, decided if I were gonna use the fogged transparent glass I should use Lexel for clarity, then forgot to get Lexel. Decided that meant I should just take a quick break and make something else real quick.. thought I had a blank hunk of hardibacker in the corner but when I grabbed it up, this was on the other side! aha

so I thought hey, its a sign - I should finish this right,,, after a while I look over at my shelves and see that I have a whole new tube of Lexel after all! LOL

• drtdgr
    11 years ago

I like the house. Whimsical. I adored Dr. Seuss when I was growing up.

Your posts are so interesting to me because they show your creative process. Watching the poppy field emerge was, well, magical. Bits of glass transforming into beautiful flowers and leaves.

Fogged transparent glass. That intrigues me. Can't wait for your next update. Susan

• silvamae
    11 years ago

That Lexel story -- so interesting. My daughter's favorite story growing up was about the Star-Bellied Sneech. I will be watching the progress on this with interest (as well as the poppies).

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

the lexel story is STRANGE, Silva, considering I had joked on FB the day before that forgetting to buy Lexel might be a sign! LOL

I had a thought tonight in regards to this house project,,, what if the background isn't glass but fabric??? oooh!

got some more stories done - found my baggy of mille too

• texaswild
    11 years ago

Looking fab. YES - fabric. I know you'll come up w/something spectacular.

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

LOVE this!!!! I would almost say to leave the background plain jane to get a nice focus on the house...it is Amazing!!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yeah, the way the colors have developed on this, I'm truely flummoxed over what the back ground should look like

I'm going to make a PC copper roof today

• texaswild
    11 years ago

This is so danged creative - just darling. You'll come up w/just the perfect background - you never disappoint!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

well I'm excited about the ROOF! PC with copper and green mica

• silvamae
    11 years ago

OH MY GOSH! That is fabulous!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

soo okay so even though I did a sketch yesterday I still wasn't sure so I went ahead and painted the back ground... I think its good but does anyone have any suggestions about the colors?

• drtdgr
    11 years ago

I think the background looks great. Simple, but with depth.

I like the colors too.

I just think it lacks one little detail - can you put a cat in there? I think a cat lives in that house. Um, kinda like Dr. Seuss -

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL I think we can be sure there's a cat in there

• texaswild
    11 years ago

OHMYGOODNESS. You beat all I've ever seen. Your painting skills are to die for. I absolutely LOVE the roof too. This is just outstandingly spectacular. You are one of the most multi-talented artists that I know.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hahah you make my day Slow! SERIOUSLY, you are too sweet! thank you...

I'm trying to figure out a way to make it a dimensional textile background, but if I don't succeed I'll be ok with this the way it is (still have to grout it)

• ItsmeChickadee
    11 years ago

Oh My God! I absolutely love this. Picture me with my hands bowing down to you.
    Becky

• loribee2
    11 years ago

WOW WOW WOW. This is amazing! I absolutely adore it. So much personality, and so much talent. Thank you for sharing this. Love to see the pictures of your progress along the way.

• cathyscache
    11 years ago

I love it, so whimsical!!! Great work!!!!

• nanatricia
    11 years ago

Yes yes yes !!!! it is so cool!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

aww, thank you all so much.

I am working on recreating that background in batik and I grout the house in med gray last night.

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

So AMAZING!!! Just Love that background!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks calamity,,,

I am almost done with the batik and am researching glues and batting

• drtdgr
    11 years ago

So, so perfect. I love those colors.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you drtdgr (love your name btw)

I am thinking about adding some depth to the cliffs with applique.. i made a bunch of random batik swatches yesterday and cut out chunks.

I don't know

• texaswild
    11 years ago

Unbelievable - LOVE this so much - what amazing talent.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hey I think I may have it figured out, it was a bear to do but I have it completely attached all around the mosaic edge. Now when that cures I'll pull it smooth and glue it around back. I'm gonna start haunting my restore for a cupboard door to put this on

• texaswild
    11 years ago

I have no idea what you are doing, but I know it'll be a one-of-a-kind art piece when you're finished. W/love to watch you work.

• silvamae
    11 years ago

Watching and waiting . . . How did you attach it? It is going to be phenomenal.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

well I cut out the house shape from the fabric as close as I could and saved what I cut off. I went along the cut edges of the batik and removed a sliver of the backing and batting so that I would just be gluing to the batik.

I took the stuff I cut off and made 1/4" pieces to fit along the mosaic edge and match the colors and patterns of the batik just so I would have a safety margin for the fit. Glued those in with Foamtastic glue (I had tested it between fabric and hardie backer) Then used the same glue to slowly attach the batik around the house, pushing and tucking it in with a painters knife.

There was one spot where I was so far off that I even had to build up the patch with batting so it wouldn't have a wide flat space.

I'm thinking that I'd like to finish this off with a black and white checked border inside a cupboard door as the frame... stay with that whimsey but contemplating word tiles somehow???

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

OVER THE TOP!!! You are taking us to a WHOLE new LEVEL...again, Girlie!!!! Sheesh, and I sit here with nuthin'....hanging my head in utter sadness that I am not show and tell with all of you! Keep the flow going! It is keeping me going/getting thru this illness! I LOVE these ideas!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

awwwwwww Calmity, I'm sorry to hear you are sick,, get better quick so you can make something! lol

Its all but finished (still need to do something on the outside of this frame thing)

This post was edited by nicethyme on Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 11:11

• nanatricia
    11 years ago

So stinking COOL!!!!

• silvamae
    11 years ago

Magical. I love it.

• texaswild
    11 years ago

As I said on Flickr - your amazing talent and ideas continue to surprise me. I love the little books in the border. Still wondering what the raised effect is around the roof line and window - looks 3-D but I can't make it out. Care to share???

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    11 years ago

at the roof line? just above the yellow siding is copper BBs, then it switches to polymer clay, I added little teeny balls of clay in little flower shapes to look like a stamped copper design and above the window I made what I hope looks like an eyebrow window dormer with clay - wanted to get some dimensional look up there because I've always felt the roof was closest to me - in my dreamy vision it was waving back and forth

• texaswild
    11 years ago

AhHAAAAAAAAA. You l'il heifer. Brilliant. I sooooo wish I could work w/you on a project and see how your brain works as the project evolves. You're a real piece of work, little girl.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations