Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calamity_j

Projects Ideas For This Year

Calamity_J
12 years ago

So I thought I would start a thread about the projects I "hope" to get done this year....not finalized in my mind yet, but def want to happen.All will be Garden Art.

Planter Box: for espalier fruit tree

Columns: to add height and focal points in the garden

Texas Toby:Cement dashound will be done to look like Slow's Toby!(working on him now)

Mosaic Front door patio with slate and pebbles

GOGs

Comments (13)

• toomuchglass
    12 years ago

I've been buying things for mosaics all year long. Just yesterday , I bought an old rusty hand saw,an oval metal tray,some frames and a whistling tea kettle . I've bought molding making things so I can custom make my mosaic doo-dads . So many ideas - so little energy ! LOL

• nicethyme
    12 years ago

wait a minute... is there a dashound thread here some place cause I need PICS????

• texaswild
    12 years ago

I started a smaller shrine yesterday afternoon after completing three days of housework - takes me longer nowadays. Gonna hide if from Shea this weekend, cuz I'm holding out hope she'll take the one I just finished. Have no clue what's next for me. I'll come home from PV inspired w/a bundle of ideas, I'm sure. Yeah, CALAM - when you gonna post a picture of Toby's statue? Don't tease us like that. I remember when you were here, you said you were going home and start a cross like mine on my front porch immediately. Didja forget that??? I wouldn't mind a couple more columns cuz I have the perfect matched set of fabulous finials that were part of FLAG's studio. I just don't know where to put them. Toying w/the front entrance, but by the bench might be a better idea. If I put them at the entrance, I'm sure the neighbors w/call the funny farm van. Also still looking at my fireplace project. W/have to take off the mantle to make the half posts. That'll be a dilly of a project. Stay tuned, my inspirations come like a lightning bolt - I never know when they w/strike.

• silvamae
    12 years ago

I would love to make a shrine, a birdbath, and a 'shabby chic' shelf, all things I haven't done yet. More than anything else, I am longing for color, after all this black and white I've been working with.

• nicethyme
    12 years ago

hah Silva, I'm longing for abstract after these 2 tables

• kiki_thinking
    12 years ago

I bought a folding table, im going to prime a section of our basement and put up shelves to store my jars of glass, tools and glue. For the first time i will have a place, the time and some materials!

I want to make a memorial for my garden for my kitty that i lost this month, im thinking of doing a pile of little river stones mosaiced with hearts outlined in ball chain. I saw some on chris emmert's flickr photo stream, and thought that format would be something that I and my daughter could work on together. Very sweet and charming.

I am also gathering my nerve to do an 16 by 20 gog mosaic from a photograph of my daughter standing in a field of yellow flowers by a lake. Ive done lots of small, not very ambitious projects and i think i just havent challenged myself to try to do something at a higher level.
    Im just a nipper (leponitt) though, i dont have a beetle bits system, or a glass saw, so im wondering if that really limits the grace of the image i can produce, since i think it will be really hard to get tidy grout lines.

Ive been reading this forum off and on for a few years, but always just looking.

Looking forward to seeing what other plans are, and i cant tell you how much the step by step photos with questions answers and commentary have really interested and helped me!! Thank you!

• nicethyme
    12 years ago

Kiki said, "Im just a nipper (leponitt) though, i dont have a beetle bits system, or a glass saw, so im wondering if that really limits the grace of the image i can produce, since i think it will be really hard to get tidy grout lines. ."

nope, not at all. While I have a ring saw I rarely use it (I am right now on the frog table, just for inside curves) mostly I just score and break and nip. my grout lines aren't even and I don't care, that's what grout is for - RIGHT? lol I can't score a straight line to save my life and anytime I've ever tried to measure things.. I inevitable get it wrong!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank You NT! I thought I was alone on the whole cutting a straight line thing! We are always our own worst critics...I look at other peoples work and see total perfection...but it is so very rare that I feel that accomplishment with mine! Now I GOTTA add a shrine to my list! I may start on a GOG sooner than later...just staring/glaring at this biga$$ planterbox right in the middle of my craft room...lol!Oh ya, and forgot about that cross Slow was talking about....ahhh, the list is ever growing...

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

I want to finish my plant stand, mosaic my concrete mushroom and perhaps some other concrete shapes already in the garden, and make some concrete mini shrines a la Kaffe Fassett - perhaps to give as gifts next Christmas. Oh, also house numbers. since my street number is only 2 digits that shouldn't be too hard!
    Kathy

• silvamae
    12 years ago

Here's another idea I am mulling over. It seems to me that the holidays play havoc with my mosaic time. There are grandkid's orchestra concerts, cooking, shopping, parties, traveling, house cleaning, etc. My friend in Austin who also mosaics has not touched a project in 3 months because of the holidays. I was thinking, what if I made myself a couple of "kits" to work on over the holidays? I would set out the substrate, nip the glass, select any other objects I might use, such as china or marbles, and package the whole thing up, label it and put it aside and pull it back out in November or December and work on it a little here and there at night or whenever I can spare some time. This is another item to put on my list of things to do!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Silvamae! That is such a Great idea! I admired Slow and Flagtruck's studios when I was down there, as they had all these prenipped/cut dishes...all ready to go...just walk in and start playing!lol! Love it...as I look at my piles of plates...and a worksurface that is so cluttered I have no room...again. So Kiki...build extra shelving!lol!
    I've been thinking of house number sign too, as I showed Klinger's to DH a few yrs back, and he really liked it!.

• ItsmeChickadee
    12 years ago

Kiki, I love doing GOG, although I'm still fairly new at it. I'm a nipper only, because I don't have a ring saw or even know how to use one. I'm the worst scorer, so I just nip away. I'm pretty careful about grout lines and it absolutely can be done with the Leponitts.
    Becky

• kiki_thinking
    12 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement! I just wanted to say that i so very appreciate the step by step photos of your projects! I have learned a ton from them! Looking forward to seeing more! Such a nice atmosphere here on this forum!

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus