Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My stairs, wip

Posted by nicethyme (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 4, 09 at 13:06

inspired by Silvamae! I proposed the use of plexi and Dh - liking that it wasn't permanent) agreed to allow me to mosaic our stairs.

I have a large panel of TG from craigslist, so that seems like the cheapest way to do this. I pressed a bunch of leaves at the end of fall, for this project too.

here's a piece of scrap plexi that I used as a test board for the treatment that will go on the back. This is leaves and papers modge podged to the back and then metallic paints. all backed with gold foil.

Stair riser test board

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My stairs, wip

Oh how cool! This is soo exciting!

o

WOW! This looks amazing! And I like your helper too!!!heh heh!!!

o

Love it. Wish I had stairs.

o

Here we go again on another artistic roller coaster. Gonna watch this one closely. Love the beginning already.

o

Thanks Silva, Slow, Kati and Jane! I'm quite excited about this... I've got all the plexi cut and fitted, mounting holes drilled... I have a 6x3 sheet of TG cleaned and ready to break and I ordered the gold colored brite bak tape. Maybe I'll go down and start this today - feeling a little lost after the winter cow scene went so quick

here's one concept on color arrangements, there are 6 stairs

stairs, concept

o

Ditto Slow, I love this stuff!

o

lol

so I had to number and label them since each fits only one stair and only one way. then I ran tape on the fronts where I wanted the reds since that will be the most eye catching color. Then I turned it over and started glueing leaves on.

Stairs, wip

o

that's the way I had it pictured in my mind...
it's an ambitious project that's going to be fun to watch but not one I would want to tackle.
best of luck to you on this..

very nice leaves..
I have many leaves in cigar boxes..like buttons and other collections of things..
what is it about us, into mosaics, that are like this???

o

I have a drawer of leaves I saved after preserving them with mineral oil. Don't know what to do with them but can't get rid of them since they are so beautiful! What an ingenious idea! And such a HUGE project. Will be watching this closely. (Love the Ginko & Japenese Maple leaves!)

becky

o

Love this. Looking at your "dry run" the step part looks like it is floating. Love it.

o

Loookit you go! This is going to be awesome. I really like how you share each step of the project....

o

It's just like you to "bring the outside in"!!! And you didn't even need to use a backhoe heh heh!!! I think making staircases a focal point is sooo awesome!! And yours will be Totally Spectacular!!!

o

Wow, amazing. makes me wish I had stairs. That is, if YOU were going to mosaic them, not me!

o

wow, thank you all for your replies, Seaglassic, Becky, Kati, Cindiloo, Jane and Betty (mental exercise and I got it all in order!)

still waiting for the glue to dry so I'm working on 2 other projects... one is clay and another small study like Virginia Winter...

o

What a neat project...can't wait to see it completed.

o

alittle more progress today - I am working on glueing the colored papers on

stairs project, wip

o

So is this the foreground we're looking at?

o

ehhh? yes? or uh its the fronts of the plexi which will be the backs of the TG... clear as mud hey? lol

o
You have a Grandpuppy!!!

Congrats on the grandpuppy!!!

o

This is looking awesome so far, can't wait to see how it all turns out!

o

thanks Jane and Squirrelly (good to see you),
thansk Jane - it was kind of a surprize - she never even showed!

o

I picked up some leaves at my cousins house this weekend. Have no idea what I'm going to do with them, but I just had to have them!
Lookin really good Nice. What an undertaking!

o

thanks Fern, here's the paint views

the side I painted

stairs WIP

the side you will see through the TG

Stairs WIP

broke a big sheet of TG yesterday!

o

so I had to see them in place...

stairs, wip

o

Oh... this is SO pretty!
I'm glad to see it this way. Just beautiful!

o

BEAUTIFUL. WOW WOW AND WOW AGAIN. PERFECT. Can you tell I like this.

o

Wow.. you certainly are on fire these days! Can I have some of whatever you're having???
These are just beautiful ! I'd have to make extra trips up and down the stairs just to look at them !
You GO girl !!!!

o

OH MY!!! GORGEOUS!!! What a beautiful set of stairs to begin with but THIS makes them Over The Top!!!! WOW!!!
When I do something this amazing...I find myself walking by to gaze at it a few times a day!!! (okay a few hundred x a day!lol!)

o

I picked up some shards of TG today...just a bit to play with...sooo inspired by you!!!

o

Beautiful!! You have great talent to "see" a project like this!!You'll enjoy this for many years to come!! Thanks for sharing how you did it!! Jan

o

WOO HOO Jane I can't wait to see what you make of it!

Thank you Kate, Kati, Lori, Jane and Sunny

o

I'm half way through the gluing

3 up, 3 to go

o

I still Love these. Keep the pix coming.

o

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!That is looking so good .I love it.

o

What color grout are you gonna use???? TG rocks!!!!

o

Just AMAZING and BEAUTIFUL!

o

Thank you guys, I don't know yet Jane... maybe multicolored

o

BEAUTIFUL

o

all 6 stairs are now glued and installed, as soon as the glue clears on the last one I can grout! for the record, not one bit of this was enjoyable - the most tedious project of my life - It makes me understand why real artist have under studies do the work! lol

Stairs wip

o

Nice they are beautiful!!! Great job!!! Cathy

o

Oh MY - They're beautiful, NT. Sorry to hear it wasn't enjoyable. I can only sympathize w/you re the grouting. No way w/that be enjoyable for these old bones. You're young and agile, though, so you can whip that out in no time. I LOVE those colors.

o

Your project is truly beautiful!!! You will enjoy it all the more for all of your hard work.

o

Way to go NT!!! It;'s so amazing, you;'ll be so glad when it's all done!!!

o

Beautiful job. You will enjoy these for years. The colors blended in with the walls. WOW WOW

o

well, I am finally at the end WHEW! thank goodness for that.

I grout it all in white and did avery subtle graduated colorwash.

I call it Fall Down the Stairs!

Fall Down the Stairs

Fall Down the Stairs

Fall Down the Stairs

o

I Love the name!lol! And I have fallen FOR the stairs!!!!

o

Little girl: Like every thing else you do, this is PERFECT. I seldom think white grout is appropriate, but in this case, I LOVE it. Doncha just love this now? What does DH think?

o

LOL thanks Jane and Slow. Yeah I really am happy with it, it makes me smile. But man it was hard to finish, seriously too much tempered glass - Ellen Blakeley I AM NOT! lol I can't tell for sure about DH, he hasn't complimented it but he hasn't knocked it either. At one point I mentioned that I was worried the plexi was still flexing after screw in up, he suggested I also glue them on. I reminded him that they were supposed to be removable and he shrugged about it. - I think thats his seal of approval.

on the grout, I don't care for white ever and when I first did it - blec but after going through and painting very light tint over each color I got the effect I wanted which was to have a lighter grout that the background tones. I'm quite pleased that I was able to maintain the same grout lines and placement from start to finish being a 2 month project (I had expected burnout to cause me to widen my spacing by the last step)

o

OMG -- what a DIFFERENT project. I didn't picture the end result like this, having never worked with TG. But this is inspirational. Just wonderful, VERY creative. Great Job.

o

OMG that turned out so pretty !!!!!!

o

They turned out awesome!! Love the colors! Fall Down the Stairs....hahahah love that! I can only imagine how tedious this job was with tg, you survived, and the stairs are beautiful!

o

What a huge job and it turned out so well. I'm surprised you didn't enjoy doing it and still managed to persevere and finish.I admire you for doing so. This is a real masterpiece and just looks gorgeous,
Cindy

o

thanks for all you comments ladies!

o

I know that this is a dead thread, but i just wanted to tell you, that this looks amazing. I wasn't so sure in the beginning, but seeing your final project is inspiring! :D

o

Wow, I'm so glad you bumped up this thread! I saw it way back in the beginning, but I somehow missed the final result. These stairs are stunning! Gorgeous!

o

Really really gorgeous! great job, I love it

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here