Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
segrieb

SeaEscape 1 - Mixed Media Mosaic

segrieb
10 years ago

I had way too much fun making this mixed-media mosaic! My inspiration was an anniversary card from my sister. The front of the card was an animated drawing of a bikini & swim trunks clothes-pinned to a line; no background. I have always wanted to make a seascape mosaic, so I designed a beach scene with beachwear blowing in the breeze. I wanted lots of movement, too. .. rough seas, an approaching storm and windy. In the mosaic, I have used stained glass, shells, all types of small rocks (including pea gravel!), sea glass, plastic seagulls, a ceramic bluebird, wood clothes pins & string, stick-on pearls for the yellow polka-dot bikini next to Under Armour swim trunks, just to name a few materials! Along with quirky techniques, like crackle fingernail polish on the Adirondack chair, I painted some of the rocks in the surf and on the beach with clear fingernail polish for sparkle. I signed & dated the beach ball! Can you find the shark fin? From start to finish, this 17" x 34" mosaic on particle board took 100 hours (changing my mind a 100 times during the process, too!). It is mounted on the wall using a homemade French cleat, and it hangs in my laundry room. Thank you GardenWeb for allowing me to share SeaEscape 1. I welcome your replies and questions. Susan Griebel, Sylvan Lake, Rome City, Indiana. GET INSPIRED!

This post was edited by segrieb on Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 13:05

Comments (12)

Sponsored