Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
concretenprimroses_gw

Can I mosaic these for outdoors?

concretenprimroses
15 years ago

Hi,

I'm mostly at garden junk, but wondering if I can mosaic the funky fish and pumpkin (hollow plaster from Pier I on sale for less than $2 each) and keep them outdoors. The wooden whale from our local thrift store I'm leaving as is.

tia

kathy

{{gwi:129720}}

Comments (8)

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

WOW!!! love em all!!! Specially the whale! YES! the two others can be mosaiced for out door, but make shure you have the whole thing covered in "porceline" tile or dish shards as it is better in the wet freezing weather and also make sure that the whole thing is covered with grout and seal the whole thing with grout sealer, preferably with outdoor sealer. I have learned the hard way with my goodies, that I need to just bring em in in the winter, I've lost a few too many from the cold and freezing, it's sad cuz even this yr, I was too lazy, and some stuff got damaged!!! The fish is really cute!!! Slow has the best advise is to use mortar/thinset for the gluing part...I use a small yogurt container and mix up a 1/2 cup at a time, not too runny, good and thick, and I use a popcycle stick to "butter" the shard and stick it on. On 3d stuff you can only go so far at a time and need to let it set, or else it's a battle with gravity! lol! Oh, it's so fun!!! hee hee!!!

• gin_gin
    15 years ago

If they really are plaster NO they won't do well outdoors. Grout sealer doesn't make an item totally water proof. If they are actually ceramic they should hold up.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

What if they were coated with a slurry of mortar first???

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just looked at them again. I'm embarrassed to say I don't know what they are. They are very light weight and thin and I think they are either plaster or some sort of bisquey stuff. I'll ask my friend Sarah when she comes over. Thanks for answering. Do you know those decorative pillars that are about 3 ft tall? They are made of the same thing I think. I put my pillars out on the upstairs front porch when our 29 yo foster daughter moved back in last June to make space int he house for her stuff and they seem to be ok so far. I should mosaic them for indoors, cuz they make nice plant stands (if dd ever leaves and I have room again, lol)
    kathy

• bettycbowen
    15 years ago

Just a note it they are plaster. I had an old art prof long ago who had outdoor plaster sculptures he had made. He put them in a bucket of milk where they soaked up the milk and then he left them there until the milk had all evaporated and dried. He said it gets to smell pretty bad until it is all dry (umm, yep, it would). This introduces casein to the plaster, and from what he said, made it weatherproof. He had them in his yard for as long as I knew him.

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

hey thats cool info Betty!

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That is great to know. I wonder if there is a way to get casein other than milk.
    kathy

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

Great tip about the milk "bath" for plaster, Betty!
    I think your treasures are cute, Kathy, and can't wait to see what you do!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Premier Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz Winner!