Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crackedincolorado

WIP with polymer clay tiles; first time!

crackedincolorado
16 years ago

Hi All! My first experience with polymer clay on Monday has been a good learning experience. First of all, the clay is really hard to soften, but I learned it helps to place it on a heating pad before you start. You have to wash your hands and wipe off all utensils after each color; my hands are still recovering. I read you should wrap the leftovers in waxed paper not saran wrap as it would change the chemical composition of the clay. And to buy only soft packages; the harder ones have been on the shelf too long and will not be craft friendly; the things we learn after the fact!

The best parts were stamping designs into the clay and rubbing on the powdered pigments. I just think that turns the clay into a whole new animal. I'm sorry I didn't take a picture with the pigments on them. I put them in the oven and kept watching to make sure they weren't baking too fast. They didn't seem to be doing much, so I left the room for 5 minutes, and when I went back, they were burning! I was a little upset thinking of all that kneading I'd have to do again. Turns out only 5 pieces burned really bad, the rest looked kind of antique-y, so I decided to go ahead and use them anyway and now I'm glad I did, because I think they look really cool!

Later I'm reading the Sculpey website and notice the baking temperature: 275. I baked them at 375! I don't know why because I read the package where it clearly says 275 degrees! Doh! I No wonder the fumes were awful. When I baked the next 5 pieces I baked them outside and purposely overbaked them. Even at the right temperature the fumes were bad so I will be baking the clay outside from now on and marking the 275 spot on the toasteroven! Enough blabbering, here are the pictures: unbaked & unpigmented, the pigments, baked clay.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

There's an octagonal mirror in the middle, pcs aren't glued down yet..think I'm going to add orange/brown glass and gold seed beads..we'll see...

Comments (38)

• shrty411
    16 years ago

I can't wait to play. I just bought a BUNCH at the $1 sale at Micheals!! I've been picking up TS jewelry here and there and scrounging what I have here to use to stamp it!!

All I need is some TIME!! UGH

Those came out really nice. Love the vibrant colors!! You used colored clay and then the pigments??

Thanks for sharing your experiences !!

MAria

• rchovey
    16 years ago

I can't start anything new, I can't start anything new, I can't start anything new....I must keep repeating this to myself!!! I have no more room!!! Or time!!! That looks like so much fun. Can't wait to see it finished.

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

Very neat! What is the design on the smaller stamp?

• brendak_59
    16 years ago

Those are great!!! I love the colors. Did you use a pasta machine? I'm planning a trip to Hobby Lobby this week. Can't wait to get to play again with my clay.
    Brenda

• siriusmosaics
    16 years ago

How wonderful. I want to try so bad, but money and space just won't allow it. Always wondered about pigments, so I wrote down that brand and I'm getting some. Can't wait to see what else you do.

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

You clay people are amazing! Those are just so PRETTY!
    Your mirror sounds like it will be beautiful, can't wait to see it!

• mylalaland
    16 years ago

OH!

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

OH wow... WOW. Those are soooo awesome. I love all those colors.

Now I'm just dying to play now! lol (stompin my feet in excitement)

quick question, has anyone seen those page text stamps that Mika used in her book, at Michaels? I don't have a hob lob and unfortunately with gas prices I can't get up to the city to just look but maybe once a month...
    This is freakish, but I really want to make a Barbie arm mold like she does in the book too lol

Cracked, those are really awesome I can't wait to see what you do next.

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Oh Cracked those are adorable!! When I first saw them I thought it was colored tapestry glass!!! I did a bottle with polymer this weekend..and burnt it!!! Its still ok as I plan on mosaicing it anyhow!!! That will be a great mirror!!

Nice, what page are you looking at in the Mika book? I have seen the page stamps at michaels but dont know if they have a text one. I am going there at my lunch break and will check to see if they have them. Are you just wanting the sheets a sheet with words?? I also loved the barbie arm mold...I also plan on making one of those with some of my scrap clay!!

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

yeah, stuff like just all those words in script... doesn't have to have any meaning or sense to it. Could just be pig latin for all I know, it just looks cool as the background of her stamps. Oh I'm so glad I'm not the only one who wants to mold little body parts! LOL

• tamar_422
    16 years ago

OMG, I love these! I have to find more space to set up a clay tile making operation ...

• gretch1964
    16 years ago

WOW love them. I so want to play with the clay. But no time to right now. Oh how i wish i did. Great job.

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

Wow I love these and would love to try working with polymer clay but alas my money tree is bare so I will have to live vicariously through everyone elses work!!!

Barb

• stjohnsgypsy
    16 years ago

*Gasp* Really pretty! Like Crafty L...I will have to live vicariously through all the clay people's beautiful work...I don't dare start another hobby....I don't dare!!!! Really love the colors..can't wait to see this finished!!!

• eklypz
    16 years ago

Those are so very awesome!!!! Can't wait to busy my clay out!

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

LOL Crafty! I'm fairly sure I composted the remains of my money tree at the end of last years growing season!... if it weren't for MIL's gift cert to Delphi, I wouldn't have the clay I have in my grubby little hands! lol

• crystal01
    16 years ago

I'm standing next to Crafty and Gypsy on this. Drooling... those colors are to die for and can't wait to see the finished mirror.

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

I keep going back to the pics, ah! I loved the white ones with the antique pinkish look! spectacular!

Chickee, lets talk stamps on the other side so that I can stop repurposing crackedincolorados wip thread - sorry cracked!

• texaswild
    16 years ago

My goodness - those are just so delicious, and look so perfectly cut, stamped colored and your mirror w/be wonderful.

• crackedincolorado
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, I used colored clay (except for the white), the design on the small stamp is a panda which I used on the black tiles, no didn't use a pasta machine but if I see one at the thrift store I'll def pick one up! Michaels & HobLob has those text stamps for $15; they're like the old fashioned date stamps w/ the wheels you rolled around to change the date; you youngsters might not know what I'm talking about! LOL! They also have diff sets of words but I haven't seen the pretty script stamps. Maybe one of the resources in the back of Laurie's book!

Here's what I got done so far. Time to make din-din. I'm just dieing to finish this tonight!!!

{{!gwi}}

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

OH THATS GORGEOUS!!!!!

• cacbeary
    16 years ago

I AGREE! Stupendous! Nice design. Can't wait to see it finished.

You gals have me wanting to get the stuff for poly. I'm going to be a good girl & not start another craft. But then this is mosaicing isn't it?

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

see, that's how I reasoned it Cac! lol

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Yep cacbeary it's all mosaics LOL!

Cracked, It's looking great!!

Maria

• barbfrizzell1955
    16 years ago

I just can't get over how vibrant those colors are! (That damn money tree better get some buds on it soon!!!)

Barb

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Oh, aside from the talent shown by this beautiful, colorful piece, I see you measured your substrate before you started. This looks so well planned. Oh, such a lovely project.

• crackedincolorado
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Not grouted yet, but I got all those tiny triangles done; don't you just love those?! I glued gold seed beads in between the clay pieces and I must say I'm liking it! I think I'll grout with black but better seal the glass tiles first!

• crystal01
    16 years ago

OH MY GOODNESS! THAT IS GORGEOUS!

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

WOW! THATS STUNNING! WOW!

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Spectacular. Unique piece and oh so beautiful. Good workmanship for sure.

• siriusmosaics
    16 years ago

That is wonderful for being your first time, getting those tiles just perfect. Can't wait until you grout.

• yell_rose
    16 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous!! What are you sealing the glass with and why are you sealing it?

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

A bright and fun "wheel of color"! I like the seed beads.

• crackedincolorado
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thank you everyone! i love it too! i think i'm going to make lots more for friends and family. yell_rose i sealed the glass with 1 part weldbond, 5 parts water so the grout doesn't seep underneath the tiles. Dryiing time is one hour, but I always let it dry at least 24 hours for a tight seal so I won't be grouting until tomorrow....

p.s. I have some great news for you all that I posted on the Conversation side!!!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Beautiful!!!

Maria

• yell_rose
    16 years ago

One more question, do you paint it inside the grout lines? What happens to the glass when you get it on the top? What a great GOG idea! If I were to apply silicone to the center of a piece of glass and then seal it when done, would this eliminate the bleed?

• crackedincolorado
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, I just paint the whole glass area with the wash and dab the excess off the top of the tiles. Yes, it should eliminate the bleed if you were generous with the wash :-)

• abbyleeb
    15 years ago

looking for stamps you could use the alphabet stamps that go with woodburners or just by looking in the scrapbook section of your local craft store they are use to emboss metal or paper. and there is also leather stamps that could serve the same purpose , & stone stamps & do not forget you can make your own stamps out off polymer clay. these Ideas are what I use as you can tell I must have a messy craft area!!!!! I use a 50% coupon to buy my polymer clay supplies so you could always get you pasta machine cheaper sign up for the michaels online newsletters & coupons. also here are some websites I go to to buy things

http://www.acmoore.com/p-32167-easy-to-do-series-stamp-set-alphabet-14.aspx,

http://www.polymerclaycentral.com/claystamps.html
    :(sorry could only figure out how to post one site!):

Here is a link that might be useful: I like to buy things here! we are doing a polymer clay challenge with mosaics this month!

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio