Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phish_gw

Where to find cheap (vintage) jewelry tesserai?

phish_gw
10 years ago

Hi all

I'd love to make more mosaics with jewelry, ideally but not neccessarily vintage, as the tesserai. But I'm not finding any of it to be cheap at the usual areas of garage sales, thrift shops, ect.

Does anyone know of a good place to find cheap jewelry to use as tess? I'm pretty flexible - modern or vintage, newly made or made long ago, ect. I'd just like it to be cheap and good to use for tess. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• barbfrizzell1955
    10 years ago

I get mine at garage sales, Craigslist, and posted a wanted on Freecycle. I also take advantage of Michaels when they have their jewelry half off and there is an additional 25% off everything including sale priced stuff.

• silvamae
    10 years ago

There's an upscale thrift shop in town that sells nice jewelry for a nice price. I asked if they ever had any broken, mis-matched jewelry that I could have. They told me what day of the week that the volunteer jewelry lady came in and I went back on that day and left my number with her. She eventually called me and I picked up a bag of stuff and left a donation of $10.

All my friends and neighbors know that I will take all the unwanted, clean out your jewelry drawer stuff.

I still check garage sales once in awhile but don't find much. I used to buy large bags of it at Goodwill for $5 but that source dried up several years ago.

You can check eBay and once in awhile, you will find some worth bidding on. Etsy also offers jewelry lots, sometimes known as "destash."

Good luck!

• wackyweeder
    10 years ago

Etsy is a good source for large lots. The thrift stores do seem to have dried up, I used to get tons there. Also look for sales put on by churches and things where ppl donate stuff for the sale.

• brokenbitmosaics
    10 years ago

They have a $1 shop in my town now. I use to drive over to the next town and shop their store. Then they opened one near me. I told my husband that he was going to have to put me on a Bedazzled budget.

My friends, co-workers and family all contribute to my mosaic habit. Garage sales, thrift stores and flea markets.

• mfbpa
    10 years ago

I get mine at auctionsâ¦. and if you don't have time to stand around at an auction, there are places that have silent auctions (in my town they do) and you can bid and they call you if you win. I have bought oodles and oodles of broken jewelry this way. After awhile you will get to know what the going prices are and can bid accordingly.
    Summertime I go to flea markets⦠I'm constantly scouring thrift shops, junk stores etcâ¦. I LOVE to repurpose!