Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
a simple abstract backsplash

Posted by princesssusan (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 25, 10 at 10:54

I am new at mosaics, but I want to attempt to make a small backsplash (15"x40"). I do not want to place it directly on the wall, as I am not so sure I can accomplish this or would want it there for a very long time.
What kind of backing should I use and how would I hang it??

Any kind of advise would be so appreciated.
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: a simple abstract backsplash

Hi There! I would suggest wedi board or some kind of cement backerboard, you can do your mosaic on it, then screw it to the wall. Just go to a flooring/tile store and ask about this, I find them, most helpful, as they are realizing there is more and more home owners that are wanting to do these projects themselves.

o

great Kitchen, love the wall colors. I agree with Jane, cut cemnt board to fit and find your studs for the screw holes. Then you can build it laying flat. Just remember if you have any switches or outlets in the space you need to extend them out

o

I agree with the others. If you wanted to you could frame it out with some trimming from the lumber yard too...just to give it a finished look.

o

Be sure to post photos when you are done or even keep us up to date with work in progress... those are fun...and your house looks brand new...lovely

o

Or you could use plexiglass like I did on my stair risers. I drilled a hole near each end, mosaiced and grouted before installation, and then just screwed each one into place. Here's another thought. For your edges you could use the edge pieces of ceramic tile, some are called bullnose tile I believe, so that you have a finished look to the edges. Keep us posted, please!

Here is a link that might be useful: Silva's archived blog posts on stair risers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here