Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolann_z8

I have a quick question on a watering can project

carolann_z8
15 years ago

I'm going to mosaic my watering can and was wondering if E6000 would be a good glue to use. It will be outside and have a pump in it and have running water.

Someone suggested smoothing thinset over it then gluing and grouting with thinset.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks, Carol Ann

Comments (10)

• bearbubbacowboy
    15 years ago

I think thin set is the best for outdoors projects..Catherine

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the help. Six years is a long time so I may try Weldbond. I've always used thinset but I'm not sure how it will stick to metal.

Robin, your birdbath is beautiful.

• sabrinacarr
    15 years ago

I had a really hard time getting thinset to stick to metal. I did a canister years ago and wound up getting rid of it because the tiles kept popping off. I have had success with mosaicing metal soup cans, using Weldbond, but they have never been exposed to water. Have you considered trying Liquid Nails?

• katishooked
    15 years ago

You might want to consider plumbers goop. (Lowes).My mailbox had lost the latch and handle,I didn,t want to take it down so took a couple of glass globs and plumbers goop and stuck em on so water couldn't run in. They are there to stay I believe. Plan on doing the rest of it when it gets warmer. Liquid nails is a good one too.

Kathy

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Is Liquid Nails hard to get off your glass or tiles and how do you clean up if you get it on something?

I bet Plumbers Goop would hold anything. That would be good for repairs like that.

Thanks again for all the help.

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I want to use this indoors if I can. This cold weather gives me cabin fever. lol
    I typed in Weldbond and found this information. I know it's an ad so sometimes they are not as good as they sound.

Here is a link that might be useful: Weldbond

• texasfern
    15 years ago

I too have had success with Weldbond. I use it for glass on glass as well. I live in south Texas so freezing is rare, but everything I have done outdoors with it has lasted years and years.
    I even have some birdhouses I did and never got around to grouting and they are just fine.

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Texasfern, that's so good to hear. I want to try and do more birdhouses. I have one I did last year with thinset and it has lasted so far.

• d3bbi
    15 years ago

Carolanne, I have used E6000 on several metal watercans and I've had no problem with them at all. Two have been outside for 3 or 4 years now. I do live in Florida so don't have snow and ice to worry about.

• carolann_z8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks d3bbi, I have a tube of E6000 and also bought some Weldbond. I had the hardest time finding Weldbond but finally bought some at Michael's Craft Store.

I have my plates...2 watering cans and my glue. Now if the cold weather will let up so I can go dig everything out of the shed I'll be all set!!! Can't wait!!!

Sponsored