Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

green lady

nicethyme
12 years ago

its been over a year since I sculpted this face with plans to ring her with cast leaves but alas I didn't do any more casting this past season... and I'm trying to just wrap up these perpetual WIPs. So I decided to modify my plans and work with what I had. I'm just planning to mosaic her eyes and paint the rest.

last night i started with the black and got her lashes and pupils done and then took a pic to see if they were close in size and shape

I carved her from polystyrene and then sculpted on concrete and finished by impressing leaves all over her. the leaves were cast separate. Its all wired and cemented together on a wire mesh backing

Comments (25)

• silvamae
    12 years ago

She will be cool. What color eyes? I know what you mean about perpetual WIPs. I have several that I would like to finish up this year.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Wonderous!!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Silva, definitely green eyes!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

okay I grout the pupils black and then finished gluing the irises and the whites. I think their character will change drastically after the green grout creates the appears of eyelids

• silvamae
    12 years ago

Whoa, her personality shines right out. This is going to be so unique and cool.

• texaswild
    12 years ago

OHMYGOODNESS, girlie: She looks sooooo sweet. How in the world do you do those wonderful eyes? This is gonna be so special. Surely you'll keep this one for your garden????

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

She's gonna be sooooo gorgeous

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok, eyes are done now I just need to paint her and she'll finally be done

• texaswild
    12 years ago

If you don't beat all. Absolutely wonderful. WOW - those piercing eyes looking right at you, and so beautifully done. Love the leaves on her face and the ones around her. May I ask how you put the ones around her? I'm assuming you made strips of the lath and just mortared the cast leaves onto that? Also w/love to know how you made the face, if you don't mind sharing. It's gonna be so beautiful.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you Slow! and everyone!!

to start out, I wired a chunk of polystyrene to a sheet of diamond mesh and then glued more foam on to create a rough blank to carve the features from... roughly! lol then I covered it with drywall tape and coated it in concrete - forming the finished facial features in the wet mix. after that I coated it in thinset and laid leaves into it to imprint her.

all the while, I had several inches of diamond mesh sticking out all around her. and as I cast leaves, I would put in a long hunk of wire with a drywall tape tab on the end to grab in the concrete and give me a stem to attache to the mesh.

so eventually I wired them on, trimmed the areas of mesh between the groups of leaves and poked cement under them to fill the voids between them, the face and the mesh. then later I turned it over and concreted the mesh from the back to cover all the wire and make a solid formation of it all.

one problem I have was the hanging wire I originally set up is no where strong enough to hold the finished piece so now I am faced with having to drill into the back and epoxying screws to hold a couple D rings and a strong wire... I do not relish putting a dril bit to it and hitting that embeded diamond mesh... one day I am going to learn how to properly plan for the stuff beforehand!!!

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Oh, thank, NT for these instructions. I got it. Re the drilling, I've done that so many times I can't count. I regularly mess up on the hanger or soemthing else, and have to drill into it. Never has been a problem. I use several strands - twisted - of my stitching wire for hangers.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

NT: Slow showed me, when I was there visiting her Queendom, the drilling thing, and I will be doing that to my planter to make drain holes. I am such a big fan of outdoor/garden art, that I Totally LOVE this!!!! I got to hang out with Klinger today and she was telling me that the gal who taught you the shading thing, will be at the Mosaico Haciendo next year!(2013)I can hardly wait to see this painted!!!

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Carol Shelkin. I thought about mentioning her in my response to you NT. The results of her workshop you took really show in you work now. Sam said that Carol had a wonderful class back in November, and I see she's on the schedule for this year too. She had written me, asking for info on the Hacienda, and of course I gave it a 20 star review, and said once she goes, she'll surely return. Sure enough, she's on again.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

she's a wonderful teacher and artist... loved her class and i really did learn a ton about color. I can't recommend her enough!

so I can drill through and I won't get jammed up in the mesh? whew! that's a relief to know. I'll probably wait until my next table project though, so I can just use some of the epoxy from that plan...

I'm gonna start painting her today I think

• texaswild
    12 years ago

When I've hit the lath and the drill seems not to want to move, I just move it a little in one direction or the other until it goes through the mortar w/no problem at all. Anxious to see her all gussied up w/paint.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

good to know, thanks. Okay, she's renamed (by my little one, Breda) Mother Nature.

• texaswild
    12 years ago

OMYGOODNESSOHMYGOODNESSOHMYGOODNESSSSSSSSS. I WANT her - scuze me Lord, one LIKE her. Now you've done it, girlie. If you don't mind my copying your idea, I'm gonna try to make one of those next spring when the Hosta come out. I'll give you credit for the inspiration when I post. I LOVE LOVE LOVE her. Is that rub and buff highlights I see? Good for Breda - much better name. Is she gonna hang somewhere in your garden? If not, I want to talk to Breda. She'll make you keep her.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL Slow! yeah she'll hang somewhere out there.. yep its gold rub and buff, I did that after I used carnuaba car wax on the whole thing, interesting learning experience... I like it, a nice shine without looking too glossy. I certainly didn't come up with anything original here, green faces are common (mostly bearded men) I can't wait to see what you end up making!

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

Girl Slow is so right OMG!!!!!!I Love love love it !!!

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.!!!! She is so transformed! I mean we all look better with some "makeup"(lol) but WOW! I gotta copy this too!!! Remember when we used to do the POTM!?! THIS is one of those!!!! Good Job!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

POTM, I had forgotten about that! thanks ya all.

spend my whole evening working on a new table design - hopefully for a gallery show in the spring... I'll make a post on it in a few days

• texaswild
    12 years ago

So glad to see you'll be keeping this beauty. Wax - thanks for that tip too. I learn so much from you. Yeah, I know - I've seen Green Man many times, but never wanted to make one until I saw yours. Oh my! Now I can hardly wait to try my hand. Hurry up Spring.

• silvamae
    12 years ago

Lovely ... SUCH personality. Beautiful job.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

I have been drawn to this and it has lived with me now for about a year and I may try to adopt it into something....

Here is a link that might be useful:

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OOOh Jane, TOTALLY!!!!