Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wip, chickchickchicKEN

Posted by nicethyme (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 7, 10 at 9:18

LOL ever name something and realize how tired you're going to be of writing it? LOL

okay, next project, started out thinking one wild rooster and then I lost my mind and drew a whole yard full

here's the prelim design

chickchickchicKEN

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wip, chickchickchicKEN

here's bedspread I liked at my hotel, for inspiration

chicken inspiration

o
RE: wip, chickchickchicKEN 3

this is my chicken worthy "pile oh tess" lol

chicken worthy

o
RE: wip, chickchickchicKEN 4

started making a substrate last night... its an experiment and I have to figure out the hanging hardware yet..

oops I should go get my mortar and warm it up huh... I'm cementing in the house today (unbeknownst to my Dh)

carved polystyrene edges

o
RE: wip, chickchickchicKEN 5

I wrapped it in drywall tape

Wrapped in drywall tape

and thats where I'm at right now. I wonder if my sand is frozen... oy

o
RE: wip, chickchickchicKEN 6

mortaring the back 1st

mortaring

o

OHMYGOODNESS!!! You l'il artist, you!! W/this be for outside - thus the reason for thinset? It's gonna be wonderful - love those colors. This is gonna be so much fun to watch. Wish I could find such beautiful dishes. I'm floundering for my next project, and it's so cold, even w/the heat on in the garage and workshop AND thermal undies under sweat suit, that I can't seem to get much excitement to begin.

o

OMG this is going to be so awesome! Your choices of tess is extraordinary & very well chosen. And how brave to experiment with the substrate. This is going to be fun to watch! Please post pictures for us each step of the way.

becky

o

Love it all!!! Your substrate idea is super cool! And I too am drooling over those dishes!!!ha! Is this to be hung up or just left as is? Is this for outside? Love the drawing!

o

They said it all .I love those dish s You are like me I will try any thing once!!

o

oh WAY COOL!!! The dishes are great!! Love the all the colors and if I could only draw like that!!! I'm lucky to get a tree to look like a TREE!!!!! Lookin forward to watching the progress!!!!

o

its for hanging and will be an indoor piece, but its really an experiment to see if I can may a lightwt but really tuff substaight. So when I do the Queen of Dress Up Portrait, it will have to be big and light...

Tomorrow I'll have to figure out the hanging hardware issues before I coat the front

o

Yeah, I'm thinking that hanging that material presents a challenge. How about two thin metal bands (flashing) running from the bottom - wrap to the bottom front, all the way up the back covered in thinset, and mirror hooks attached in back to those metal bands?

o

What a fun, creative idea! I'll be very interested to hear how it works for you. If it works well, then for future projects you can cut the styrofoam to any shape before you start.

I've never worked with broken dishes, but I'm kind of getting an itch to start one. It's really cold outside today, but maybe I want to do this enough to go check out some local antique shops to find plates.

I am so looking forward to watching your progress with this!

o

I got the hanging issues figured out by copying the Wedi board hangers, I mashed a couple washers concave, added a plastice washer made from a milk jug and then cranked on it till it pulled into the foam, then concreted over. I put d hangers on the back under the nut

fastener for new substrate

o
RE: wip, chickchickchicKEN 8

so now I've sketched out the design

chickchickchicKEN

chickchickchicKEN

o

I'm Loving this!!!!

o

What she said. Thanks for the tip on hanging the foam. Suppose the same w/work on Hardibacker?????

o

good question, one would think so right?

made a start today

chickchickchicKEN

o

OHMYGOSH - You really know how to put the pieces together. LOVE this already.

o

WOW! did you nip that red part or use a saw? Amazing!!!

o

thank you ladies! Jane, I nipped that, only using the saw to thin out the thicker shards.

this is todays effort, not sure about her yet. Maybe whenI get back from this weekends workshop I'll have some new eyes for it!

chickchickchicKEN

o

niceee....
the chickens at my parents' farm don't look so posh!
:)
beads, porcelain, millefiori... HMMM....

i just wanna know... will you be able to give each chicken different features to make it distinct from the other ones?
I c u r using different materials for each chicken. this is good.

o

Thank you Cal, yeah that is my concern as well. Making them all distinct yet repeating all the colors enough to get continuety as well

o

Have fun at your workshop!!! This is gonna be another amazing pc...I can already tell!!!

o

I am lovin this and to think I only liked chickens for their eggs and manure! LOL. This is going to be beautiful.

o

well, this is fun switching from glass portrait to shard chickens. but I'm determined to work them both.

here's is this morning few hours effort

making headway

o

WOW! Amazing! Love the way you got the leg comingdown...in the front chicken. I'm really liking this! Do tell us about your course!

o

Oh, am I lovin' this one too. Gonna be a real beautiful piece when grouted. Where w/this one hang?

o

I think it could gover over my dining room table, on a mustard wall. Either that or I ciould rearrange my red wall to accomadate it. (I'm secretly hoping to show it in a gallery though) shhh - I don't want to jinx myself. lol

a bit more today

and then there were 4

o

wow proofread much? I wasn't drinking I swear

o

Girl that is looking so great!!! I am loving it.

o

Looking so good. Those chicks are going to town on the corn someone threw down. I can almost hear the clucking.

o

Them thar is a bunch a Country Quilt Chickens...a new breed! Don't let Foghorn Leghorn near em!!!ha!

o

a few more done this morning

more fowl than ever

o

OH..MY...GOSH!! You are incredible! I love how you've pulled in so many different patterns and colors to make up the individual chickens. This is way above my head...my brain doesn't think on this level...lol. Very original! LOVE IT!

Addiesue

o

Amazing again. Your shard work reminds me of someone on the Junk side, whose name I can't remember. Y'all really have a way w/those pieces. I so love this project.

o

my shard work reminds me of someone on THIS board... mmmm Slow! lol really don't shake your head, it was your style using footers and chunky pieces that always came off with a Mexican folk art look that I LOVED!

All the other plate people are way more precise, Annie, Lyndalu and Tasymo - all very talented but a very different look and feel to their pieces. I tried that with my tea set remember? and afterward I thought it was pretty but man what a lot of fuss, matching up the pattern and fitting it so tight - thats just not me.

its your work that inspires this, Slowmedown!

Thank you too, Addiesue

o

OH THAT'S IT!!! TASYMO - she REALLY is good w/shards. Thanks for your compliment, NT. I'm gonna try to do better on mine - use smaller pieces - after watching you work.

o

Tasy is EXTRAORDINARY with shards, remember her chair! miss her around here.

I'm done with cutting shards now, need to thinset so I can make the legs and get on the figuring out the background

o
RE: wip, chickchickchicKEN 9

oops, forgot the pic DOH!

ChickchickchicKEN

o

mmm....I like it!
Would blend in on the side wall of my parents' house. exactly where the chicken yard is.
They'd have lots of other guests for dinner!
MMM... do those roosters ever fight? If we have more than 1, they kinda do that!

o

WOW! This is going to be amazing. You girls are really very talented. The chickens look great. I can just see hens in the courtyard scratching around for feed.

o

NICE: This is going to be an amazing piece!!!! Can't wait to see it done...WOW............Way too cool!!!

o

thank you guys! I got the legs done, started the background and last night I grouted 6 chickens

chickchickchicKEN

o

grouted the rest of the chickens today

all the chickens are grouted

o

That is awesome!!! I have chickens in my kitchen..

o

hey thanks Copper! good to see you

here is the background andamento, I'm trying to create persective by using smaller pieces as I get further up the piece

background andamento

o

I just popped in to look around and HAVE to say thanks for sharing this as you go. I have no time these days for mosaic projects and watching this from step 1 is the next best thing to making one! Not to mention, it is beautiful.

How big is this? And did you use thinset for the substrate or another kind of mortar? If your Wedi-substitute works, you are my hero - Wedi is expensive and not easy to come by.

BTW - I LOVE that you used the back side of glass tile for the ribbed chicken legs (perfect effect) & different colored grout for the chickens. The background andamento is going to be lovely too.

o

this is beautiful

o

This is going to be so beautiful when you are done, I can't wait. What an incredible job you are doing.

o

You win again. Your work improves w/each project. I LOVE this one. The chicken legs are sooooooo good. Looks like the front one is gonna move any minute. You, like Tasymo, can get such small details out of shards. I have a longing to get back to work, but still too tired from the trip.

o

thank you all for your comments, (good to see you hme Slow)

Ans, its approx 17 by 36? and it was portland and sand but I'm thinking with would have been lighter with just a slurry of thinset painted on... live and learn

I am in the home stretch and hoped to be grouting today but a recurring headache keeps hampering those plans... this is where I am right now - hope to finish glueing today

almost there

o

Your andamento on the background is so beautiful. What are those background tiles? They're perfect for this. BTW - I posted pictures of the workshop on the conversation side.

o

Aren't those beautiful? they ARE perfect and really making the chickens glow. Its Cinca unglazed porcelian - got them from WitsEnd.com I'm combining terra cotta and granite brown.

o

Girl it is somthing .I just love this !
Glad you are home slow

o

and its done!!! I can't get a decent pic yet but good enough for now

chickchickchicKEN!

o

I love unglazed porcelain - it's so earthy. The colors you used and the andamento contrasts perfectly with those wild, colorful chickens. Bravo!

Thanks for sharing your substrate info - I would really like to try this someday when I have more time. Now that it's done, have you weighed it?

o

Truly a work of real art.

o

thanks!

its certainly heavy, but it appears to be a large block of cement so its lighter than it looks. I don't have scales so I can't wiegh it unfortunately.

o

I don't know how I missed this post before now. This work of art is amazing! I love love love it. Beautiful composition, colors, such innovative use of shards. You are so talented.

o

Absolutely beautiful!!!! Great job!!!

o

Nice, you probably already know this, but on CMA, if you select photos and then sort by Most Popular, out of 13,505 photos, yours is Number One! Woo-hoo!

o

wow, really? its really kind of shocking how well this is being recieved there.. maybe I should work in pique assiette more often huh? cool!

o

DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

HA HAA HA, I think I've just been smacked on the back of the head by a redhead in Texas! lol

o

Yup - oh - you watch NCIS too, huh? NT: - ANYTHING you do is outstanding - no matter what medium!!!

o

Just looked at the photos on CMA again this morning, and guess what? ChickchickchicKEN is STILL Number One in popularity . . . I just can't stop looking at it. Fabu!

o

LOL Slow!

Silva, that is kind of thrilling hey! I put this on the critique group and its been interesting to me that all 3 replies so far have said they can't make out whats going on just behind the front rooster , suggesting that it should have been a more open composition... LOL I think that means I accomplished my goal of depicting chickens feeding!lol These folks evidently have never watched how that works, not telling where one chicken ends and another begins! I do agree with them that some shadows would have been good, I couldn't find the right thing in my stash to depict it....

o

You're right - they're city folks, and have never watched chickens in a group eating. Good GRIEF - the contrast is there - Rhode Island Red between two White Leghorns!!!!!!!

o

LOL you are RIGHT! but evidently without seeing their heads, they can't figure it out. They all made the point that I gave more detail to the blackie in the way back - I guess just beacuse you can make out its head, but I purposely skewed his details so I don't agree with that.

I think, they are describing a desire for a portrait in still life rather than the frenzied movement of chickens feeding. Critiques are interesting that way. I feel strongly that I portrayed the subject matter well enough to convey the story without explaination. But when speciffically asked how it could be improved, some suggest you change the story.

oh well, thanks for all the support and compliments on this.

o

Oh, definitely - your story is so plain, a cave man could understand it. Stick to your guns.

o

I think it turned out beautiful! You are truly very talented. Good job.

o

WOW...I frequent other boards here but also do mosaics too, am on the MAO list, and came here because someone posted a g'web staircase--I searched for it, saw nicethyme's TG version and WOW, nicethyme, you do amazing work! What's the CMA? I'll have to mosey on over here more often. Seriously impressive.

o

thank you so much for the compliments Fldirt (love that name) and Flyleft, show us your work, we love pictures!!!

GW won't let us give site addresses to places they consider competition. I've been warned before..

o

I have no drawing ability at all, as opposed to you with your *incredible* drawing ability...I think that's one thing that really separates out a true artist from people who do mosaic...you're clearly a true artist. Mostly I'm restricting myself to doing things around the house so far--did a backsplash (my first thing) in Sicis waterglass, an adapted Amish crazy quilt pattern which involved no cutting at all until the top edge. I wanted regular and subtle, rather than exuberant, for resale (although the units are mounted on polycarbonate and there's drywall behind it in case people just hate it). I have a final part of that, above the sink, which I'm not letting myself do until I finish DD's bath, which I'm doing out of Pratt & Larson seconds tiles--31 linear feet of 9-3/4" wide. I did some work with Oregon rock slices to intersperse them in mosaic for our master bath...and the most fun so far has been a portrait of a particular cougar for the Steve Irwin Memorial Wall at the Australia Zoo a couple of years ago now (is it really that long?) I'll link to that because it's most like what I'd let myself do if I ever finish these architectural projects!

Here is a link that might be useful: dear Malina...all I have is a color xerox...

o

I also wanted to say that the mosaic that will be in Mosaic Art Now (I've already pre-ordered :)) with the watches is just unbelievably wonderful. I so appreciated the WIP photos--I'd thought at the beginning that it might end up too busy but the way you handled the grouting and the background ended up more than amazingly clear and rich at the same time. Really an incredible accomplishment of coordination of field and detail. I think I have a new mosaic goddess to add to my pantheon :)

o

OHMYGOODNESS. Your mosaic is fabulous. You give yourself far too little credit, FLY. You are some kind of wonderful artist. Enjoyed your paintings too. IMO, one doesn't need to draw in order to produce art. I used to labor w/that fact when I was painting in oils. I LOVE your art. What an honor to have your work in Sandra R's wall.

o

WOW that cougar is AWESOME!!! and being included in the memorial is quite an honor, congratulations.

Slow is absolutely right,
and I'm hoping to make you feel better about your skills. While I can draw fairly decently, this particular project was designed by cutting out chickens from several resized photos, taping them down the way I liked them and then I TRACED IT! so there! lol See, what you can do, can lead to great art!!!! And it does, because that cougar ROCKS.

Thank you for your compliments on the Sidonea, it really came off very nicely and its loved by the owner! We should be getting the MAN soon too, I think. Another cool surprise to me was that I was invited by Brit Hammer to submit pictures of it for her latest book as well. Its called Break Out and features a load of great mosaics including a whole chapter on Lin Schorr's collabrative murals. Thats available through Blurb if anyone's interested.

o

Thanks, nice & slow (o.k., that's kind of funny :)). Actually everyone in the entire world who wanted to contribute to that memorial could do so...

And AH, so you didn't freehand all those roosters? But you still have an amazing eye. The 3D rooster attests to that.

And, um, slow...those paintings aren't done by me. I just had the luck to find them at a thrift shop, which is a somewhat serious addiction for me. I'm a great curator, I'll give myself that much :)

but thanks for the welcome and appreciation--definitely buoys me up as I try to slug away at the bathroom project. I'll post a separate thread about it soon. Back to your amazing work here--you know, this is one reason why on HD and Kitchens threads, I always say that folks shouldn't order anonymous reproduction-of-classical mosaics from Israel via eBay, they should support *local* US mosaicists! There's one woman who has a mosaic of roosters pecking that she's so proud of, over her stove, and wouldn't *this* have been SO much better, in that she'd know the person who made it, it would be of recycled materials, and of course, it would keep her money in the country's economy!

o

Nice & Slow! Lol!!!

o

My jaw is dropping in awe .....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here