Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
becky_ia

School Project Ideas

becky_ia
15 years ago

My grandsons school has a special dinner auction/fundraiser every year to raise money for technology and I always I try and do something special to help with it.

Each grade level does a special class project which always bring top dollar because the children have a hand in creating the item. In the past, they have made quilts with their pictures, or sayings, Christmas tree skirts with their drawings, etc. Parents of the children bid on these one of a kind items, and they bring hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars all for the good of the school. Every penny goes directly back to the school for the children.

This year, I have been asked by one of the teachers, to help come up with something different....they want to make two mosaic benches. So I am trying to come up with two different "themes" that can be used, with the help of the children. So far, I have thought of doing one bench using their school sports mascot "Panthers" and in the colors of purple and gold. The other idea I had was doing one with jungle animals.

But what makes the item really coveted is if the item shows each child personally identified. So this is my brainstorm....to take a large 1/2 marble and put each child's picture under it and then use them in the grand design some way. Like centers for flowers, or stars in a sky.

Any other thoughts or suggestions from others who have done similiar projects. I have two months to get two benches ready and it is just in the planning stages right now. Is this "doable"?

Becky

Comments (14)

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

You are so in luck because we have a resident Expert in all this...Nicethyme!!!! (And hopefully we will get to see some pics of her creations!!!)Pppuuullleeeaaase!!!!

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

Totally doable Becky! I've done 2 tables, on the first one was jungle animals drawn by the kiddoes - I used those as patterns and did names under glass. I like your idea of pics under gems! COOL the last one I stamped their names into clay near their handprint reproduced in glass

I hope you'll show us pics of these benches

• becky_ia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

nicethyme, do you have any pictures of your tables?

How did you do their names under glass? I love the idea of handprints too. But that would take up too much room...as the top of the benches aren't really all that large.

I have two cement benches that I plan to use. I will stain the legs and edge of the seat. part. Then I plan to edge the entire top with small tiles or mirror tile.

I will post a picture of a bench I have done already and will definately post pics as I go....once I decide what direction I am going!

becky

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Oh, I LOVE the idea of the picture under the large glass globs. What a terrific project that w/be. NT's projects were just amazing too. I've used the large gems as well. You just print your picture, message or name, use decoupage glue to glue it to the underside of the gem. When dry, be sure when you are gluing to your table, to get your silicon glue all around the edges to seal well against grout bleed, and use a dryer grout to avoid seepage.

• becky_ia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks slow for the help/suggestions with doing the gems. I have never done anything like that and want to be sure it is done right!

Here are two benches I have done previously. These are the types of benches I will be using. One I did not stain before I did the top. I like the looks much better when stained. These can be put outdoors, but I have mine in my entry way. I live in a pretty harsh climate and I would never leave them outside for the winter. But they are perfect on a porch or in a sun room. That will be my suggestion to whomever is the highest bidder.

I just talked with the teacher and they are coming to my home tomorrow after school.

[URL=http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/becky_ia/?action=view&current=redrosebench.jpg][IMG]http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/becky_ia/th_redrosebench.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/becky_ia/?action=view&current=RoseBench2.jpg][IMG]http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii79/becky_ia/th_RoseBench2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

• bettycbowen
    15 years ago

I would LOVE to do a mosaic project at my school one of these days, especially for an outdoor piece. A few years ago I tried the picture-under-glass-globs in another project, and the ink-jet ink disappeared in a few days! so...perhaps the type of glue was the problem.

• becky_ia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, thanks for the info. I hadn't thought of that. So will have to experiment first to see if this is going to work.

Another thought, have to be careful about where the glass globs are placed if the bench is going to be sat upon!

becky

• monzamess
    15 years ago

I tried the picture-under-glass-globs in another project, and the ink-jet ink disappeared in a few days! so...perhaps the type of glue was the problem.

Not all ink-jet inks are fade resistant. You need a particular type of ink and paper. The Epson Stylus series is known for fade resistance. Here's a test of various printers and inks: click here.

The prints you can get at Wal-mart etc are also "archival quality" (for whatever that's worth) and cheaper for small quantities than buying your own new printer setup--so that is something to check out as well.

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

here are my tables

for name tags I typed and printed on decorative paper and silconed them to glass then used silicone as the glue for attaching them to the substrate. On the occasion that I have forgotten and used Weldbond to attach to the substrate - the pictures or type start getting "watermarked" smearry.

here's the hand print table

heres a picture mirror I made several years ago, pics were all inkjet copies and its still looking great.

• becky_ia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OMG These are AWESOME!!!!!! I can't wait to show the teachers these pictures. I LOVE THE HANDPRINTS! That is so creative and such an individual piece.

I love the animal ones as well. They are SO CUTE!

I am really getting pumped about this project.

You have helped me get some great ideas. Thank you so much for sharing your pictures.

becky

• becky_ia
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pictures of two benches previously done. Example of the ones I will use.

becky

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

GREAT I can't wait to see what you do!

• lascatx
    15 years ago

What age and how many kids are you working with? I think that makes a big difference.

We did some benches with each student painting an unglazed ceramic tile (thumbprint animals on pastel backgrounds for the kindergarten). We outlined and glazed them, then the art teacher helped us fire them in the kiln.

I saw another project that was great and could be done on benches -- each child drew their own version of something. I remember one was apples. Each apple was stylized, patchwork or had doodles and details. Some were short and fat, others were tall and narrow. I think one of the others was hearts and each heart was shaped and decorated the way the student wanted. The were very colorful and remind me somewhat of the animal bench above. They work best with smaller classes. We were doing entire grade levels and had to get more kids on one bench. The smaller classes had some fillers -- shapes we made from clay, cut out painted and glazed (suns, moons and rockets on the space bench, umbrellas on the beach bench, etc.). Others had mosaic pieces -- snakes and bugs on the garden bench and such.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Ohhh this is gonna be amazing!!!!! Keep us updated!!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living