Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicethyme

frog pond

nicethyme
12 years ago

I had the good fortune of getting some nice glass tables from craig's list and am starting on the side table. I had some ideas while doing the last one and one of the owners of the Ciel gallery had asked if I might do another for their spring show... sooo

my hope is to create an illusion of depth by marrying several layers, ending up with 4 layers of glass, starting on a mirror. I want to have fish and frogs breaking through the surface... so I made a design to have one of the fish with its head up and a floating frog with head and arms up and a jumping frog with its head and arms going in. then I have one frog climbing out with just one foot in...

I had to do the design twice because the 1st try I had all the shadows equal (I was trying to cheat) but hated it,,, so I did a new tracing and placed the shadows according to how deep each thing was.

the bottom mosaic built on mirror will be epoxied to the bottom of the glass table top then I will mosaic the top of that. I am using a 2 part clear marine epoxy that has been well tested for clarity in mosaics and it's thick enough that it doesn't flow. My thought is that if I trap any bubbles,, it would be fine because its supposed to be water!

The table top is 1/4 and I checked to make sure the glass will look congruent when on top and bottom, they need very little overlap, about an 1/8 inch

I'm trying to finish my dolphin thingy before I go any further on this. but I did get the mirror made already, I decided I should get it professionally cut so the edges would be polished and sealed $$

Comments (106)

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Zentangle the Hand!!! Are you talking mosaic zentangle?!!! O.M.G.!!! So back to this project...so it is going to be about 3/4inch thick when you are done? Zowie...I just figured out how to enlarge the pics!lol! Sheesh, I should just hang my head in shame! lol!

• texaswild
    12 years ago

WOW the ripples. How your mind works!!!!! I especially LOVE LOVE LOVE that little froggie that's diving into the water, and OH LOOK - the one coming up outta the water. This is an absolutely amazing work of art. Have you logged the hours involved in it's making? Remind us where this table w/find a home?

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good morning you two! Yes, Jane I'm figuring it to be about 5/8s when all is said and done. Slow, I tried to keep a log and it appears to be about 80 hours so far and approx 180 in materials (if you don't count the epoxy mix up...

I am hoping to get this table into the spring show at The Ciel gallery in N. Carolina. My sister can't believe I'm not keeping it but honestly I can't have something this valuable around, can you imagine a kidlet on a bike hits it or a branch blows on to in a storm,,, cripes I would sit and cry over the loss, better to sell it to someone who can buy art and handle that they have a table worth a thousand

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lexel is some sticky chit! so I'm having a time of it, but it is clear!!!! and the bubbles are pretty cool too.

here's what the big frog looks like now

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

I can't believe my good fortune- the first time I come to this forum, and this is the post I hit. I had no idea people could make things like this. Nicethyme, your ability to conceive and carry out such an amazingly complex design is inspiring. It's absolutely beautiful. Breathtaking. Unique! Words can't express. Thank you.
    Renee

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

wow, thank you Renee, welcome to the forum

• mattie_2008
    12 years ago

Amazing, truly amazing

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

Yep is Amazing!!!!

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

I had to read the WHOLE thread over...AGAIN!!!lol! Keep seeing so much more! Reread about the duckweed(Love it!)...had to go look at that painting artist goldfish guy!wow!

• texaswild
    12 years ago

What RENEE said. Truly amazing and ..... the list could go on and on and on. WHAT AN ARTIST!!!!!!!!!!!

• silvamae
    12 years ago

I keep re-visiting this post. I love this so much. That froggy is da Bomb! I have forwarded these photos to a fellow mosaic artist and she is just amazed. Fabulous.

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    12 years ago

what will become of this masterpiece?
    You have a large selection of glass colors. Mind if I ask where you shop? How do you know by mail order if it is truly the right color? that stuff is expensive!
    There is something about the spotted fish, his 3 dimensions and the colors. The froggies are a great idea. How did you learn to do this?

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you all so much,,, I ran out of lexel with one piece to go so went for another tube. its all glued down now and I'm trying to set about the HUGE task of cleaning. the stuff is sooo sticky and I have alot of work ahead of me to get it ready for grout. and then epoxy...

Ernie I hope to sell this in a gallery show. I do identify and order particular favorites like the mottled Youghiogheny for frog skin. I love ordering glass I don't know, its such a fun surprise to open it! but we now have hobby lobby in the area so I bought a lot of this there. The 3D lessons came from a 3 day portraiture workshop with Carol Shelkin, where she teaches how to consider tones and color values in shading and how to decide the natural andamento of an object

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

NT: This is the hand I made in Mexico at the course that changed my life(lol), it is about 1ftx1ft, and I gave it to a dear friend who says a snake in her garden curles up and basks in the sun on it!!!! How cool is that!!! ha! How does that saying go...a snake in the hand....;-)

I called it the KingKong Arthritic Hand!lol!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL Jane!!! thats the 1st time I've seen that project finished - I remember the pics in PV when it was mesh - THAT is COOL! it does look like King Kong, fancy that snake is playing Fae Rae! lol

• kiki_thinking
    12 years ago

Hi! Quick question, what type of paint did you use to paint the shadows? It really looks wonderful! So many fun effects to look at!

• toomuchglass
    12 years ago

That is truly a work of art. It's just amazing !

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kiki, it was glass enamal, but it really doesn't matter because i wouldn't give it the 24 days to cure anyways, being sealed in silicone under glass, any craft paint will work.

I grouted the greens and suffered some grout bleed so I have had to take off several pieces of clear, I cut them all down in size hoping there will be less bubbles. then I had to repaint the duck weed where I had scraped it clean..

uhhh 1 step forward, two steps back

• kiki_thinking
    12 years ago

Ive seen people use that blue gummy sticky-tack to block the crevices to keep the grout from leaking. You probably already know that though, but i thought it seemed to be a clever solution ; )

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Ohhh, that leaf looks awsome as do the swirls of the baroque!!! I remember your pc with the old truck and the trees and see how you have kept moving forward with that inspiration! Depth...at a whole new level!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kiki, that would be to prevent it from going into another grout line, bleed is actually when the grout finds it's way UNDER the glass. Its not acceptable when using transparents

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Sheesh, why do I have Alice Cooper singing in my head?! lol!

• cathyscache
    12 years ago

Absolutely STUNNING!!!!! I hardly have words...It's beautiful!!!!!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

so I finally figured I would try to avert disaster with the epoxy by making a mold to set it into, that way the edges won't empty out.

so I glued this foam with gorilla glue and coated it with silicone. I'll paint it with beeswax before I proceed

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Waiting with baited breath...
    Renee

• marquest
    12 years ago

I cannot believe I almost missed this. Girl you are going to blow your own mind with this stroke of genius. Stop, Stop you are killing me. lol

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

HAHAHAHAHA Marquest!!!!

well, everyone keep their fingers crossed

epoxy is poured, so far so good.. whew!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

omg it totally worked!!!! now I think it needs to get a mosaic edge and it will be done!

yes, thats the back - NOT COVERED IN RESIN AND TORN FOAM HAHAHAHAHA

• texaswild
    12 years ago

You l'il heifer!!! You're a genius. Congratulations.

• toomuchglass
    12 years ago

Flip that baby over !!!! LOL

• kiki_thinking
    12 years ago

So so so waiting to see it! I check back here more often than is right, lol.

Are the epoxy edges smooth? Can you trim it if it gets drippy?

Where do you find the nerve to try a new product at the end on something you have worked on for so many hours!

Amazing!

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

What Kiki said.
    Renee

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL at ya all... my inner terrier has got nerve!

because I was concerned about the resin spilling and pooling under the mirror I was on the cautious side over the amount I used. what little did seep under knocked off easily with a spackle knife. Which is good because I thought my only option would be to sand it off with the dremel and run the risk of damaging the mirror back.

the edges are not smooth and not good looking so I decided the best option was to edge it in glass. I had a sheet of a green that I had ordered for lilypads on the last table but didn't like it. Its swirlly with white and amber and has a quality that reminds me of Van Gogh's watergarden painting.. Worked my BUTT off the measure that all out into a grid and cut with a straight edge, tumbled them and mosaic the edge. all that's left is to grout it today.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

MORE PICS PLEEEAAASSSEEE!!!!!!! WOW! AMAZING! Redundant pat words...but just can't express how awesome this is!

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

there I was doing the final cleaning when I saw a scratch, a deep scratch across 2 pieces of glass (a green and a clear). I decided to pull them out and replace them but all I had of the green were smaller scraps. Finally decided that I would pull another piece of the green (panels from a lily pad) and down size it so that I would have 3 smaller sections and hopefully it wouldn't look out of place. OK

then I broke that green piece

sooo new plan what can I put in place of the leaf???

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Looks like it was meant to be there. I ache for your problem. Can't figure out how you pull things out of the epoxy. Please explain how you did that. I've been wondering why we haven't seen the complete reveal. Bless your heart.

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My husband asked me that same thing (and he helped me with the epoxy job) these pieces were glued to the tabletop with silicone. It does look like it belonged there, the fish now looks like he's coming up to eat it... serendipity

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Looks fine to me...and when the epoxy covers it, it will fade away?

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

no , not epoxying the top or I would lose all the lovely texture.

OKay, stick a fork in it I'M DONE! click this pic to see more photos

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Happy Valentine's Day, indeed! A work of art. It has been a pleasure to be along for the ride on this wonderful journey. The results are extraordinary. The frog's leg in the pond is brilliant, and the view of the water and the red fish's white fin through the lily-pad leaf is amazing. The bubbles!
    So much to look at. Thank you.
    Renee

• nanatricia
    12 years ago

Girl it is a work of art .I can not see any scratch in it .It is just fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Too speechless to comment anymore except WHAT AN ACCOMPLISHMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• silvamae
    12 years ago

It's as if you caught the moment one second before the yellow fish whips his head to the left and captures that dragonfly! And I love the fish hiding under the lily pad. Lovely, original, beautiful work. What's next for you? I can't wait.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

LOVE the close up pics cuz they show a bit of that great baroque glass!!! What a Work Of ART!!!! Whew! All done...now I bet this will go for BIG bucks!!!

• marquest
    12 years ago

I have drooled all over my keyboard. Beautiful. I want it so bad. I wish I had your talent or the money to buy one.

Thank you for sharing the journey. It helps with my mood you cannot know how much you helped. It gives my mind something to think about and try to figure out what the heck you are doing. lol.

• ernie85017, zn 9, phx
    12 years ago

You have invented a new mosaic technique !
    My favorite is still that red fish. So "dimensional" -- or something.

• mattie_2008
    12 years ago

You are so extremely talented! Thanks for posting all the pics and sharing your methods of achieving such a beautiful piece. Congratulations on finishing....can't believe you're not keeping it!

• toomuchglass
    12 years ago

It's like watching the Mona Lisa being painted step by step. It's a masterpiece !

• nicethyme
    Original Author
    12 years ago

awww blushing now, ya all are too much. thank you all for your comments. they are all really appreciated, thank you

• silvamae
    12 years ago

I just showed my husband your masterpiece. He commented, and I quote, "That is the most artistic and realistic mosaic work I've ever seen, and the creatures are so lifelike. Beautiful mosaic art."

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner