I am so tempted . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: Penny floor installation

Comments (9)

• cathyscache
    11 years ago

I saw this too and it looks so cool

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

very nice! Like all her other art work too!

• nanatricia
    11 years ago

Yes I like it but I bet it would be a bugger to clean.

• ItsmeChickadee
    11 years ago

I just saw this. Now I'm looking for a small area where this could go - although I'm not sure my old knees could handle it!
    Becky

• silvamae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The days when I just plopped down on the floor on my knees without giving it a thought are over -- I have a foam pillow that I kneel on when I mosaic on the floor. I am toying with the idea of pennies on the floor of my bathroom. Black grout and then brush on polyurethane finish just like the article says -- I believe I will do this!

• silvamae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nanatricia, do you think it would be difficult to clean if it was grouted and sealed? Help me, y'all. Give me reasons to not do it.

• texaswild
    11 years ago

I saw this several years ago, think it's BEAUTIFUL. I have two thoughts/suggestions. Instead of working on the floor, why not work on the mesh or fiberglass screen then apply it to the floor. Re black grout - Years ago my husband tiled our kitchen floor w/the brick tiles and I insisted on black grout so it would look great and not show dirt or stains. Guess what - in some areas the grout w/be white - don't know why - must've been dirty, but I remember applying black shoe polish w/a tooth brush to those areas to cover. That's b/f I knew anything about mosaics and acrylic paint. The shoe polish worked for months and months, then I'd have to re-touch. I w/never grout a floor in black again, if I were doing it over. I suppose the polyurethene w/work wonders to avoid the dirty grout.

• silvamae
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am almost 100% sure I'm going to do it. I have never used polyurethane before because I was always worried that it would take on a yellow cast. But with copper, it wouldn't be a problem.

• mrspete
    11 years ago

I absolutely love this! I asked my husband to bring me home a piece of scrap wood so I can do a 12x12" trial run. One thing I'd do differently: I'd make no attempt to have Lincoln's head facing the same way for every penny. I don't see any real value in that, and almost perfect would drive me crazy.

Anyone know how it'd wear as the years go on? I do place a high premium on maintenance-free materials.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living