Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsdutchy

wet saw ?s for cutting china cups etc

mrsdutchy
14 years ago

Hiya, I'm new to this forum, I've been on the garden junk for a little while and have just found this one. I've been doing mosaics for a few years now and my hubby has done a few leadlights and plans on getting back into it as soon as we buy a glass grinder.

Anyway I just bought a 7" wet tile saw to cut cups, plates, ornaments etc in half for my mosaics. I gave the depth of the saw no thought when I bought it but realised when I went to cut my first cup that the blade only goes about half way through. I put the cup upside down to run it through but only cuts half way up as the blade is low. I then read on the instructions that the tile (it's a tile saw obviously so only mentions about cutting tiles) should not be any thicker than 35mm. Has anyone got any advice as to how to cut a cup in half with it? I so hope I haven't made a mistake in buying it. If I haven't bought the right thing, what should I have bought?

Cheers

Tracey

Here is a link that might be useful: my mosaics and other handmade goodies etc

Comments (6)

• mrsdutchy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for that. I can't actually take it back as it's been screwed to my bench and used but it has the blade on the bottom anyway. SO did you take the safety cover off and use it that way? Do you have problems with bits flying off at you? (I do use safety glasses but what about the rest of the face?) And lastly can you only cut yours half way up too? Do you then turn it up the other way and run it through again? Is that the only way to do it?
    I bought a couple of miniature teapots on Etsy that had been cut in half and they are cut perfectly, no roughness on the cuts at all and the handles are cut perfectly through the centre too and they're very tiny handles. I've noticed on my saw that there is about a 3mm wastage, the thickness of the blade. How do you think the ones I bought on Etsy were cut? They must have been done with another kind of saw??
    Sorry about all the questions and I do appreciate any and all input.
    Cheers
    Tracey

• texaswild
    14 years ago

Yes, I took the safety cover off. On the large one I feed toward the back, but I discovered I was using the small saw backwards, and the tiles w/fly away from me, so now I feed my tess from behind the blade - toward me. The water still drenches me. I get soaked w/the one from Harbor Freight. Next one I buy w/be from Lowes - a better quality. I do use safety glasses. Yes, cut in half, then turn over. Experimentation is my name. There are several kinds of saws, so Google to find the best one for your purposes. Granted, I'm not a perfectionist, so imperfections in the cuts don't bother me.

• mrsdutchy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try.
    I'm in Australia so there's no Lowes here, it must be a great place I see it mentioned a lot. My favourite place is Bunnings.
    Cheers
    Tracey

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

I just want to say I love your work! I love doing sc and I have a lot of your same plates.Do you mind telling me where you get the pendent at for your mosaic jewe. with? I wantto make some .

• mrsdutchy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks nanatricia!! (-: I got the necklace bases on Etsy.com, just do a search for "necklace blanks".
    Cheers
    Tracey

Sponsored