Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pghgardnewbie

Can I share some of my Christmas stuff?

pghgardnewbie
15 years ago

Hi everyone! I haven't stopped by in a while- between the holidays and the kids being sick (again!), I have been working my tail off. Not much time to be creative, but I did work on a few projects for Christmas that I wanted to share. I tried my first tempered glass project (a clock), and was so jazzed that I ended up making a table, too! I added a last minute project to the list (a simple candle plate made of vitreous glass tiles), and a cute ornament. These were all made for my bachelor brother, who moved into his first house this fall. I gave him a tray that matched the candle plate for his birthday, and he liked it so much that he wanted more. Ask and ye shall recieve!

Anyway, I just wanted to share, since I haven't really shown anything yet. I am still a novice, but picking up speed,so I hope to have more to show soon!

When I get the chance, I will post my "Hubris" project- a good idea that went horribly wrong! I need some advice about it, but I want to get some pics first.

Happy New Year, everyone! I hope to catch up on all the posts that I have been missing- so many great ideas coming along...

Jenny

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to My Flickr Set

Comments (12)

• gibsona
    15 years ago

WOW! What a beautiful color blue! So did you paint the table or paint the glass? Details please.
    Have a good one!
    Ann

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Well Jenny you have been busy. I like your tg pieces. I have some tg just waiting for me and still am stalling. I need to just jump in and go for it.

Kathy

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Hey, girlie - so nice to see you back here. LOVE your projects. Doncha just LOVE working w/TG? It's very addictive. You HAVE been busy - love the blue too. Don't be gone so long again.

• cindiloo
    15 years ago

That blue is so cool! I love all your things, especially tht awesome table!!

• emtnest
    15 years ago

I bet there's not a mosaicer alive that doesn't like that blue!!! It's sure my fav! You did a great job on all of them. Your brother must be so proud!

• pghgardnewbie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much, everyone! I appreciate the kind words. I have only been at it since the Spring, but I have already become an addict. Must be the company around here. ;-)

I actually have a background in painting, so I love to combine the two media (mosaic being the other, of course) in one- the tempered glass has been a lot of fun to work with. The clock was my first attempt- I got it at Goodwill and stared at it for a few months before I came up with an idea for it. My brother loves Montana- he has been there several times, and I had a nice sunset picture that I used for my color inspiration. The base was sealed already, so I just painted over it with acrylics. When it was dry I puzzle-pieced the glass over the paint and grouted it as usual. The piece that I broke had a lot of larger clusters, so I used those first, then filled in the gaps. I liked the look of the grout flowing in "rivers", rather than being more regulated, if that makes sense. I don't have a lot of larger pieces left, so I might have to get some more!

I had the table already- it was a castoff from a store that closed in the mall. My brother went to Notre Dame, and loves the Blue/gold combo, so I sort of started with that in mind this time (being mindful of his other decor, of course). I sealed it and painted the base in the same way that I did the clock- though this time I just squirted the paint and sort of free formed it. You might be able to see in a few spots that I ran a blade through it in a sort of marbling pattern- it ended up adding a lot of interesting effects under the glass. The gold is just faux gold leaf (it is sort of plastic-y, so it was kind of hard to cut into organic shapes). I just shredded it and through it on randomly at first, then moved it around until I was satisfied. Just experimentation, really- kind of seeing what I could come up with! I grouted with a deep black, and it really came out dramatic- I had a glass round that fit on top, and it sparkles even more when the light hits it. Wish I had another table like it- I was sad to see it head "home" to Vermont. ;-)

Anyway, I am glad that you all liked them. I have been a bit intimidated to show my stuff after seeing all of your wonderful projects, but I have learned so much that I wanted to share, too.

So, thanks again, and I hope that I have more to show soon...

Jenny

• nanatricia
    15 years ago

Don't be intimidated you did great!!! I love it .

• Dottie B.
    15 years ago

Really nice projects you got there. I think the table is my favorite...so simple yet really stunning.

• pghgardnewbie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much, everyone! You are making me blush. ;-)

• jjaazzy
    15 years ago

I love your project, how did you do this? You said tempered glass is that any old tempered glass? How did you get that color blue? Also is it smooth to the touch? I am redoing my bathroom now and that would be so pretty, but wondering about the feel of it and how it would hold up to washing. Great job love the creativity!

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

Jenny, you have made some very pretty stuff - I left you a comment at Flickr. Your color choces are really nice and I would have been sad to let go of that table too!

jjaazzy, grouted TG is going to clean up just like any glass tile job. a sealed grout is what matters most. In this case jenny painted with acrylics on her substrate 1st before mosaicing to add the color. Decapoge and metal leafing are some of the other techniques people use. As long as you are working on a flat surface and with all one thickness of TG, it would be smooth.

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

Jenny!!! I just love your stuff and this place is chock full of people who LOVE Eye Candy to look at so thanks for your pics and please NEVER feel so shy anymore!!! I am hungry for new ideas to try and this and NTs stuff is pushing me to try this TG...especially with the painting and foil underneath...ZOWIEEEE I LOVE BLING!!!!

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022