Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cacbeary

Shoe

cacbeary
16 years ago

I always wanted to do a Dorothy Wizard of Oz shoe. This is more like a disco shoe but I love it. I started to do the inside of the shoe but it's a planter & I will be planting flowers in it. Don't know if just at the toe of the shoe or plant the whole shoe so mosaiced the other half. I plan on mounting on a copper pipe sitting in the flowers.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I guess people will be trying to see where the glare from the mirror is coming from when driving past the house, LOL! I painted glitter paint on the bow but also have like little colored rhinestones & might do that instead.

I found a quick way to get rid of the GE silicone glue off of the tiles. Those no scratch multi-purpose pads like Scotch-Brite get rid of the glue & doesn't scratch the glass. We used those in stained glass class it's fast & easy.

Comments (63)

• ladyronnie
    16 years ago

Very cool! My 14 yo DS said, "It's the Ruby Slipper," so you got the look down good!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Nice job on those tiles!! It is so cool!! I want to do a b&w one for my step daughter

maria

• fiddlekate
    16 years ago

BEAUTIFUL! Love those mirror tiles! Your little squares are SO perfect! I'd say the beetle set sure works for you!!!
    GREAT job!

• gretch1964
    16 years ago

Awesome i love it. Now i need to find a shoe like that also.

• tamar_422
    16 years ago

This shoe takes my breath away! CAC, did you get that Beetle Bits THIS Christmas? Seriously, it looks like it would take years of experience to get those perfect tiles!

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

WOW! Can't stand the name "Beetle Bits" but it sure nuff Blinged out that shoe! Good Job, it's perfect!

• crystal01
    16 years ago

I love that Dorothy Disco shoe!! When I was in HS (in the height of disco era) my CB handle was the DISCO LADY!! ROTFLMAO

• bianchi3
    16 years ago

Very snazzy and sexy, great job.
    Bianchi

• cacbeary
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tamar - yes, got the Beetle Bits system for Christmas & it's very, very easy to do. I'm sure the Morton system would make the squares too. It took 10 minutes.

Thanks for all the comments. It means a lot coming from all you great artists. I sure had fun making it. Next project is a bed bench - I'm mosaicking the back of it. The wood is pretty messed so it's getting a flag.

• rchovey
    16 years ago

I want to do a shoe now!!! That is so darned perfect! Gotta find me a shoe. But I don't have a Bug Bites oooh no that's not right....Beetle Bits or a Morton's so my cuts sure won't look like that. It's on my TBM list.

• sbtexas
    16 years ago

AWESOME! That is so perfect!

• hrsg
    16 years ago

Wow, I love this shoe! You did an amazing job.

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Wow that is just too perfect. The cutting the bow everything!!!! I wonder if Marshalls has an on line store?

That is just soooo pretty...dang I love mirror tiles!!!

BAAA-LING!!!!

• andrea_2
    16 years ago

Hawt! This is sex on a stick I tell ya.

• diamondjennie
    16 years ago

Very cool shoe! Perfect squares! Love the red you chose!

Be sure and post the bed/bench as you go along! I have three waiting inspiration to put together on my porch! Jennie

• cacbeary
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rchovey - you ever need some mirror glass tiles I would cut up & send to you. The mirror glass by my home it is $13.95 a sheet for a 12" square. It would be no problem as I am always going there. And it takes 10 minutes to cut & maybe another 5 minutes to break apart, & mail.

It would be a whole lot cheaper than buying cut up. I did that whole shoe from one red mirror tile & that shoe is 14 inches high - not a little shoe. Us mosaicers must stick together.

• squirrellycanadian
    16 years ago

That is AWESOME!! A planter eh? How cool is that!

• siriusmosaics
    16 years ago

What a great shoe! I am amazed at how well the beetle bits cut. It looks like you came out with perfect squares - and you did a beautiful job of getting the pieces just perfect.

• lyndalu
    16 years ago

That is one AWESOME shoe! You did a beautiful job on it. I've never wanted to do a shoe - but if I did - this would be my inspiration! It's just beautiful.

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Beautiful shoe...ohhhhhhhhhh Dorothy you lost your slipper...Beautiful job!

• diytrying
    16 years ago

Don't know how I missed this...awesome look and great job cutting. Just don't put it where people will see it while driving..it'll stop traffic!

• glassgunner
    16 years ago

cacbeary, could you please get in touch with me ?
    at info@cuttersmate.com
    Thank-you,
    Ray Nicholas President CSG Inc. Mfr. Beetle Bits

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

Cool - looks like someone wants to use your shoe in advertising???????

Could it be?

You go cacbeary!

• crackedincolorado
    16 years ago

That's way too nice to put a plant in! You MUST make another and wear them out dancing!

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

I want details!!!! Let us know when you find out!!! Oh my gosh Im excited!!!

Donna

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

certainly would be an excellent example of what their system can help do!!!!

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

If it helps any, tell 'em I bought the beetle bits system as soon as I read that's what you used to make the shoe!
    No shoe for me as yet...but someday....

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

I'm seriously looking at it since I have birthday money burning a hole in my pocket . . .

• cacbeary
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh! I just read this. Just got back from a trip & have been so bogged down from work I haven't been on much. It was a work related trip too. The sad part is I work from home, on my pc, LOL! That's pathetic.

My first thought was taking pics of the instructions & posting them here on the Beetle Bits thread. I offered to take the photos down.

Stay tuned . . .

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Cacbeary, you always make stuff I end up wanna do's!!!

• cacbeary
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK ladies, talked to Ray. What a great guy!

He's sending me the Cutter's Mate system TODAY! I'm going to be making him something. I can't wait to get the Cutter's Mate. He says you can cut glass sitting down and some speed balls - I'm going to be doing some playing.

If things work out, there will be other news but can't say right now.

So a special thank you to all you ladies because none of this would be possible without you. I learned everything from you girls. You are all so talented & helpful in that there is no question that is dumb. You are THE BEST!!

• gretch1964
    16 years ago

Oh how cool is that. Have fun with it. That was really nice of them also. They saw your talent.

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

Oh man - that is just too cool.

Obviously the man is into customer service - makes me want to buy his product!!

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

I bought the complete Beetle Bits system just now. I've been lamenting my poor repetitive cutting skills and was looking at both this one and Morton.

My bathroom remodel from H3LL will keep me from exploring it fully when it gets here, but I will be able to use it on the backsplash in the bathroom (if we ever get that far)!

• cacbeary
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I can't wait to use the Cutter's Mate. That Beetle Bits is so fast and easy & don't have to worry about the angle your cutting it.

He says the Cutter's Mate if you never cut stained glass you are able to cut as soon as you get the tool. He said this is so easy. If it's as easy as the Beetle Bits you will be hearing me singing. I just emailed him asking if I have enough waffle grids for the system & now he's sending me more of the waffle grids too.

OK, he said I can say some more. He's trying to get the shoe submitted to Glass Patterns magazine & another one. It's to give stained glass a boost in the arm but it will really give mosaics a boost in the arm too. If it gets in a magazine GW & you girls will be getting a plug too!

• shrty411
    16 years ago

WOW, another rising star in our midst!! So exciting for you!!

Maria

• gretch1964
    16 years ago

Oh that is awesome. I hope they put it in the mag for you. Congrates.

• cacbeary
    Original Author
    16 years ago

On another post you girls remember my stained glass teacher said that mosaics was cheating? If it's in a stained glass magazine then I guess it is an art huh?

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

OMG I can't wait to see what your not telling us! I'm so excited for you!

• siriusmosaics
    16 years ago

That is amazing! This is great news. I hope it works out.

• cindiloo
    16 years ago

Good for you! How exciting to have your art in a magazine! Can't wait to hear about using the Cutter's Mate.

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

This keeps getting better and better!

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

Congratulations...now I want to order beetle bits since I never got the morton figured out.....Where is he located?Is it really easy to figure out the beetle bits?How much is the beetle bits?

• texaswild
    16 years ago

OK - that does it. If this sucker is THAT easy, I want one too. I have the Morton, but I'm too lazy to read the directions, and I DO like scoring a whole sheet of glass b/f breaking the tiles. Can you DO THIS on the BB system? EASILY? If I want really perfect little 1/4" squares, I have to cut several 1/4" strips, line them up w/the 1/4" stop, and score about 3 or 4 strips at once. I would like a system where you can score the whole sheet in perfect little squares. Is this possible w/BB??? BTW - CONGRATULATIONS. We'll be pulling for you. WONDERFUL for you. Doncha just feel good all over about this? What a nice company to reward you w/more products. Now, get back to work on the next entry.

• cacbeary
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Slow ~ Yes it's THAT easy. You cut the whole sheet at once. I had a post when I first used the Beetle Bits but I can't find it but I made a web page with a close up of the directions & pics of the glass cut up. The link is below. I made the page when Calamity wanted to see pics. You just scoot the glass how many 1/8" you want & press the beetle the length of the glass. Then slide your glass over a couple of notches. The ruler comes with the whole system.

The directions said to make your scores & then turn over the glass & turn 90 degrees & score strips there. But with thicker glass you have to do it all on one side. And I found out the hard way with mirror glass you have to do all the scores on one side of glass too. I haven't tried cutting any other glass yet.

Slow - The advice you gave me to break the glass into smaller pieces to break apart worked great for me too.

Annie - Just do a Google search for Beetle Bits & compare prices. I seen it on sale somewhere after Christmas. My boys bought mine for Christmas but I ordered it. I bought mine at Delphi because they were the only ones that sold the Beetle Bits, the system, the grid in a complete package & it was $150.00. It was cheaper than buying individually. But since you have the Morton you can use their grid I think so Slow you wouldn't need the complete kit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beetle Bits System

• bamasusanna
    16 years ago

I'm going to look into the beetle also.
    The morton system is too complicated to figure out all its features, and the instructions might as well be in Japanese!
    I also like that there is a mounted beetle cutter. That reminds me of cutting mats, before the cutters got computerized. Easier to get precise cuts with a mounted cutter head.
    I'm going to look up the cutters mate. Not sure what that is.

• fiddlekate
    16 years ago

Wow...the timing on this post is great!
    First... congratulations, Cacbeary!
    How wonderful for your amazing shoe to recognized!
    I too, have been looking at buying either a Morton.. or something. I've read several folks posts about the learning curve of the Morton...and knowing that I'm short on patience .... it's "plug and play" or leave it on the shelf for me! So... the Beetle sounds like a good one!
    I'm going right now to read your tutorial link.

Congratulations again! I'm so happy for you!!! :)
    Katie

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Congratulations.I am sooo excited for you!!!!!!

Ever since I saw the system I knew it looked easier. Im stuck with my morton though because thats what I've got..oh well!!!

• ladyronnie
    16 years ago

SO CAROL, HOW MANY OF US HAVE TO ORDER ONE TO GET A REALLY GREAT GROUP DISCOUNT?????

• cacbeary
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ladyronnie ~ LOL! Isn't that the truth. I think he got a bunch of sales here.

What's the glass place that gives GW members a 10% discount? I should tell Ray about it & maybe they start selling them.

I know it's a bit expensive but then everything with stained glass is expensive. When I took my stained glass class I signed up in the fall & class didn't start until spring. It was a good thing - the tools was pricey starting up. I had a birthday & Christmas to get all my tools.

Sponsored