Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emtnest

Column for plant stand

emtnest
15 years ago

Thank you Slow for the inspiration... this is a WIP as it needs to be grouted. Just did it tonight.

[IMG]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s242/emtnest/column4.jpg[/IMG]

Comments (17)

• emtnest
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Try this link.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Love the blue with the colored tile in center, that's my favorite side!! I just got some stained glass at a ys, almost unheard of but talked to the people today
    & they are moving to N.Y. city as have relatives there. So with my new tiles will give a pot or something a new look, I've never done it. Just lurk as I love what all the folks do here!! Lots of talent!! Jan

• robin_ssi
    15 years ago

Your column looks great. The dark blue tile is beautiful. I'm working on garden tables using the same colors.

• klinger
    15 years ago

That's really nice, I love those cobalt blue tiles,
    Cindy

• ny465
    15 years ago

that really looks great!! so what kind of glue do you use to keep the tiles on with? i have 10 of those blocks in my yard. so now i know what i can do with them now...hehehheh
    michelle

• emtnest
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ny, I am using Acrylic Pro ceramic tile adhesive, but that is only because I already had it, as soon as this bucket is gone I won't get it again.... I wanted to use thinset. I buy it in the bucket already mixed and it goes on like butter.
    Thanks for kudo's...it's really fun to do these...

• emtnest
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are the colums finished. I just loved making them and am ready to make more.

• bearbubbacowboy
    15 years ago

Their beautiful!! I have some of the same blue tiles and just used them on a mirror..got them on ebay...love em....can't wait to use some of them their such a great color!!! Nice plant stands.Thanks for sharing..Cathy

• Calamity_J
    15 years ago

LOVE the grout color with these!!! Good Job!!!!

• emtnest
    Original Author
    15 years ago

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s242/emtnest/columns5.jpg
    thanks for all the nice comments... these are just so fun!!

• huggybear_2008
    15 years ago

emtnest, may I ask a dumb question. What do you use for your columns that you tile? are they concret blocks, or pipes or ????? They are just awesome and I would love to make some.. Thanks for sharing your talent.
    Huggy

• emtnest
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Huggy,
    Not a dumb question at all...I didn't know until I asked as well. They are cinderblocks.You know the kind with two holes in them. The ones in last pic are stacked, but not cemented yet. I will have to cement them together after they are grouted because I won't be able to lift them. Quite heavy. I am using thinset in the tub. Get it in the tile section at HD. Slowmedown is the one where I first saw these and I asked her all the same questions...

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Hey, Texas girlie! Those are FABULOUS. I may have inspired you but you surely took it to another level. WOW. You and FLAG do similar work. Congratulations. Doncha just LOVE those blocks? They're so cheap, and easy to work with, and really do jazz up the yard. BEAUTIFUL work.

• huggybear_2008
    15 years ago

Emtnest, Thanks so much I kind of thought that is what you used, but wanted to make sure.. Son has pretty many of those as we are using them to block in an area under our house that was open.. I am going to make some for my bowling gazing balls, son is afraid they may fall off the iron columns I have them on in the garden.. he is afraid they will fall and hit our big German Shepard dog.. oh my I would be in big trouble if that happened.. that dog rules the yard, house and family.. but he is just a great dog.. and we all love him and I surely would not want him to get hurt. with these columns I could glue the balls on the top.. Thanks again..
    Huggy

• emtnest
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for such encouragement! Slow, I'm a California girlie...but that's ok...and Huggy if you use your stand for a BB, be sure to drill a hole and use rebar. Just cement the rebar into the thumb hole of the ball, then cement that into the hole in top, that way the ball won't have a chance of falling off...I had the same idea too... think it would look great!

• huggybear_2008
    15 years ago

Thanks emtnest for the tip on the rebar and cement in the hole I sure do not want that bowling ball to fall off.. I would have to run away from home.. Funny story about the dog, is ,,, Son sent me and grandson out to buy a ceiling fan.. and we came home with a puppy.. I do not think son was too happy.. but as the puppy grew son became very attached to him.. and when the dog chases his tail.. my son.. always says.. Mom that is the best ceiling fan you ever bought.. look at it go.. LOL
    Thanks again for sharing..
    Huggy

• texaswild
    15 years ago

Sorry about the state, EMTY - I get you and TX Fern mixed up. These make me want to work on the ones I have waiting in line. Beautiful work.

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures