Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sabrinacarr

Need mosaic on glass advice, please!

sabrinacarr
15 years ago

Hello everyone. I am not new to the art of stained glass or mosaics and I have done many mosaics on glass before, but I don't know if this afternoon's moment of inspiration can safely be done. I have a very ugly, builder's standard pendant light in my kitchen's eating area. It's almost as horrifically unattractive as the bug-filled tray light in the kitchen proper. I just finished (well, almost) a 3-year-long project and I have several pounds of glass pebbles left over. In a flash of inspiration I thought 'hey! Let's mosaic that ugly light fixture!' The glass is 1/4 inch thick and frosted on the outside. The shape is an overturned, shallow bowl about 6 inches deep with a diameter of about 20 inches. Do you think the glass is thick enough to take the additional weight of the glass pebbles and grout? I wouldn't be too broken up (yes, cheesy pun intended) if it were to crack up and smash into pieces, but I would probably never go barefoot in my house again if that were to happen. So let me have your two cents, okay? Thanks!

Comments (6)

Sponsored