Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calamity_j

Espalier Planter

Calamity_J
12 years ago

Gonna start on this finally....It will be for my Fancy 3 fruit espalier tree, peach/plum/nectarine. Right now the inside is 42"long x 18"deep x 24"wide. R=12 insulation. This will be covered with wire mesh and concrete and then mosaiced.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (14)

• texaswild
    12 years ago

Curious as to why you need the styrofoam? Are you going to use two layers of lath? It's HUGE. This w/be an interesting thread to watch. You're so speedy, it'll be done in less than a week.

• nicethyme
    12 years ago

OOOh exciting. that foam will definitely help keep the wt down for its size... can't wait to see what you do with it

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the cheering me on!!! I want a insulated planter cuz of the colder winters here and want to protect this tree. I want it to have a decent home...not stuck in a small container...so I'm building the "condo" of planters!lol!Plenty-o-room to stretch the roots(leg room)!ha!As I type this, I just came up with the idea of how I am going to build a wheeled base for it! So a question...do you think I can get away with one layer of mesh since it has the styrofoam backing? I was going to ask Klinger about adding fibers to the concrete for really strong cement too. Oh, now I am Excited...cuz this will be a big enough project to actually use my cement mixer for the first time! Whoohoo! It feels great to be working on something big again! I may end up making another planter for another dwarf fruit tree I have...it is a gravenstien apple. My fav apple!

• texaswild
    12 years ago

IMO, CALAM, one layer of the mesh w/be enough. B/f I discovered Riana I made that crazy birdbath - called Esmeralda - that used to be in my back yard b/f the re-do, and used only one layer for the skirt. I had to glob the mortar in there so the lath w/hold. That sucker is so strong, I can't take it apart now that I want to flip it to make a planter. I've used a screwdriver and the hammer, and it's not budging. Guess I'll have to break the pot, which I don't want to do. Also I only put one layer on the little tub water feature w/the faces. I didn't want to take a chance on the tiles popping off the metal, so one layer was just to hold the mortar between the lath and metal. So go for it. It's gonna be heavy, so really think about what kind of wheeled base you want to build it on. Glad to see you at work again.

• nicethyme
    12 years ago

awesome, I think it was a great idea for insulating the roots. with the lath and a courser aggregate, I doubt you really need fibers. but let us know what Klinger recommends, cause I'm curious too

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just talked to Klinger and she said as ya'll do that one layer should do, and I shouldn't need fibers, I also got a vision of using some super heavy cornerstones that my son cut at the rock quarry, so ya, this will be heavy. We shall see if I do the corner stone but I sure would like to so I have some of my son's labor in there too. The wheeled base will be separate of this, but it will sit on the base. Cindy offered cement colorant too!!! And I am inspired by Slow's circle design too....

• cathyscache
    12 years ago

Can't wait to see what U do w/it!! How cool!!

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

This is going to be great to follow. What a clever idea. Keep us posted.

• nicethyme
    12 years ago

coolio!

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am NOT having Fun!!! Sheesh...I'd give up but then I think: "What would Slow think of me?" W.I.M.P.!!!lol! There must be a better easier way than what I am doing! Like I shoulda made the wiremesh box then added styrofoam? Or maybe made the wiremesh box, then used sprayfoam spray to insulate it... hubby is also helping with this which is a pleasant suprise! I am so impatient too, just wanna get to the next stage...

Here is a link that might be useful:

• texaswild
    12 years ago

You bet your booties, I'd have nagged you. What the hay are you complaining about - it looks PERFECT. Who promised you anything about this technique was easy - huh??? Bless Richard's heart. 'bout time he did something to help you. You can DO this. Looks great already.

• Calamity_J
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Slow! I hung out with Klinger today and had a very nice visit with her and Sister, we are all excited about PV and meeting you there!!! Then I got called into work, darn, so will be working on this in the am tomorrow...stay tuned...I do feel better about it today, just needed to walk away for a bit.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

wow! Another ambitious project. Glad hubby is helping. Have a great time in PV all of you!
    Kathy

• nicethyme
    12 years ago

find your inner terrier, Jane!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert