Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbara_now

This noise is driving me CRAZY!!!

barbara_now
17 years ago

A month or so ago Hobby Lobby had some rock tumblers on sale so I just had to have one. I didn't use it, though, until I saw the frame Silvamae did and then I decided it would be the perfect Christmas gift for my DD. I had never used one or even heard a rock tumbler before so I had no idea how loud it really was. Yes, the instructions told me and suggested it be put somewhere so it wouldn't be heard. I have to be SHOWN, though, before I believe some things and so I set it up right here in my craft/computer room. Alrighty, then, now I believe!!! It hasn't even been two days yet but it's going outside today to my workshop. I have my radio right beside but I can't hear it without turning it up LOUD! We live and learn, don't we??? Well, sometimes.....

Barbara

Comments (10)

• Calamity_J
    17 years ago

heh heh, thanks for the ...info...!!!! Yet another thing I think I needed...but....

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Going to HobLob tomorrow. Didn't know they had them.

• haziemoon
    17 years ago

Slow, I saw an ad for them at Harbor Freight too.

Hazie

• nicethyme
    17 years ago

Make sure you get the rubber barreled types, those plastic hobby kind are nasty loud... but then again, mine is outside! lol

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Thanks for the tip, Hazie. There's a HF in TXANA. ROSIE and I w/probably stop in tomorrow together. That's where we spotted the small concrete mixer for around $100 I have my eye on. W/probably get it after the PV trip. I'm wondering if I have enough patience to wait days for the glass to lose it's edges. I'm thinking of wine bottles for ??? whatever.

• nicethyme
    17 years ago

If you're just tumbling to remove the sharps, I can achieve that in just one night. So the wait is not bad... beach glass however is another story.

• shrty411
    17 years ago

Harbor Freight is close to me. I've stayed out of there for obvious reasons.
    Might have to go in - concrete mixer for $100, rock tumblers, all kinds of cool tools.

I can go into debt for TOOLS right LOL

Maria

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Or not have room in the garage for the car, in my case! We didn't have time to get to HobLob or Harbor F yesterday cuz we shopped at other places until I really nearly dropped. Thanks, NICE. That's the reason I want a tumbler to knock off the real sharp points. If you can achieve that in one night, then I think I DO need one. ROSIE - that vow we made about next Thursday - hmmmmmmmmmmm. May have to change that. ROSIE and I go shopping just about every Thursday after we make our weekly donation run to a homeless shelter. After we spent so much money yesterday, we said "next Thursday we're coming straight home after the shelter run".

• rosemarythyme
    17 years ago

Ok SLOW. What's a few bucks more, eh? I can ALWAYS be looking for cool stuff for DH as my excuse...

• haziemoon
    17 years ago

I just bought one today, for my daughter for Christmas, at Harbor Freight for $39.00.It has two tumblers. The guy told me to keep it away from the house, It will drive you nuts! He also said to throw the rocks you want to tumble against something hard, and see if they break before you tumble them, because those will turn to little pebbles, and to use rocks much larger then you plan for them to turn out, because they shrink more than you think, and some take 6 weeks or more!!ahhhh!! I didn't know any of that!
    My daughter wants to use rocks in her stained glass windows,
    and spent so much at a rock shop....so I can't wait to see her windows with them..never seen such a thing! She plans on cutting them into thin slices.. she's a little wild....so I'm excited to see what she does. I'll post them when she's done!

Hazie

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler