Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dip Dye Shirt

Posted by silvamae (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 7, 12 at 8:07

Just made this shirt for Rachel . . . fun!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dip Dye Shirt

I like that

I saw something similar in my dye catalog where they used pink and green and mimic a watermelon on a little girls dress... too cute

o

Oh that would be cute. I may have to steal that idea.

o

I always liked the tie/dye stuff. Just call me a hippy - I love color in whatever medium it's used.

o

I washed the shirt tonight, in a load of dark, in cold water. Then dried on normal setting. The shirt came out terrific, no fading, no bleeding. Wow, I am proud of our results!

o

what kind of dye did you use? I am working with reactive dyes but using salt, urea and soda ash makes the whole process tedious... I think there's an example of that watermelon dye job on Dharma trading site

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.dharmatrading.com/

o

OOH I found it!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: watermelon dress tutorial

o

Oh, that dress is adorable! What we did was, we started with a blue denim shirt. We made a solution of bleach and hot water (didn't measure). We dipped the top of the shirt in it. After about 10-15 minutes we lifted it out and rinsed it well in cool water. Then we made up the dye bath of Rit liquid dye (Petal Pink) and salt (again, didn't measure but probably half the bottle of dye and maybe a half-cup of salt), dissolved in hot water. We dipped the top of the shirt in the dye bath for a short amount of time. I took an artist brush and pulled some of the dye down the front of the shirt in three lines. Then we rinsed the shirt in cold water until clear. I hung it outside to dry and then ironed it with a hot iron.

o

easy peasy! I really like how it came out

o

What a darlin' dress. Oh, I wish I had another lifetime to play w/cloth again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stained Glass & Mosaics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here