Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovemosaics

Ok...I do need a Dog! help!

lovemosaics
15 years ago

I've spent so much time with so many people lately...and the dog. I'm really in need of a dog friend!

My son had a lab, sweet dog...loved him..actually want to go get him now!

So what is the advise on a new dog?

A little lap dog...or a bigger dog? I need a companion,

so leaning on a little dog that can travel easily with me,

or the big lab type dog that is more the protector size?

Never had a dog before!!! I was working all the time, and the kids were just enough. I don't want a puppy, really can't do all that right now.

This house seems so empty now....never had that problem when I was working. So what do you all have as a buddy?

May hit the pound tomorrow!......I've never felt so alone!

This is too weird! What do you have???

Comments (13)

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Just look at length of hair on the dog!! My son left a dog with me to put up for adoption & he barked every afternoon until we went for a walk, he had really long hair & had to be brushed daily (I'm a softy ) of course he needed toys & treats so I spent more on him than on me. Got him fixed with help of some animal group as didn't want him going to breeder. I'd tell you what kind he was but I can't spell it ahasalopso LOL Big help!! try saying it,that's just as bad. It's a little rug mop cute as a button the 5 minutes after you get him all brushed out. Loved kids, most don't I'm told, I couldn't keep him, nothing quite like barking when you are in middle of migraine!! They are very active dogs & very high maintenance. So that is certainly something to think about. A lot of mutts turn out to be good dogs, also inside dog or outside. Hope you find a good one! Jan

• texaswild
    15 years ago

My Toby is a Daschund. Very entertaining and loveable. Only negatives I've found are the difficulty in house training and the weak back, which is going to take him down in the near future. He is seven yrs. old. He w/LOVE to be a lap dog and attached permanently to me, but I have to keep him off high things in case he wants to jump off the sofa. Good luck in finding the perfect one for you.

• meadel
    15 years ago

I have a Nova Scotia Duck Toller mix. Her name is Grace and she is medium sized. Just right for my small house. It is a Wonderful breed of dog.
    I suggest you read up on all breeds and pick one with a activity level that matches your own!! I am up on the computer early this morning because Gracie decided I had enough sleep by 4 AM! ( I am usually up at 5 am for work)
    Have you looked at Petfinder.com? That is where I found my fur child!
    Good luck and have fun.

• shrty411
    15 years ago

First you need to decide what kind of dog you want. Active? Herders, terriers and other working breeds need a lot of exercise to burn off energy. Your local Humane Society should be able to tell you a lot about the dog's temperment

Don't assume that because a dog has short hair that it won't shed. I had an American Foxhound (great laid back temperment)- short hair..but shed CONSTANTLY!! I now have an austrailian cattledog mix ( high energy, we walk her twice a day, plus let her "herd" us in the yard). she has short hair also and sheds in the summer. She's about 40 lbs and a good size, I think

• theeggshelllady
    15 years ago

Hi, I have a mini-poodle. She's a great companion. She is friendly, loves people. she is great to travel with, smart easy to train and housebreak and never sheds. she needs a haircut every six weeks. she can run and play ball as good as any big dog. Whatever breed you choose, Get one from a reputable breeder. Stay away from petshops (they keep puppymills in business) Or look for a rescue or SPCA. Good Luck!

• lovemosaics
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all your input girls. I finally got my house cleaned and dusted, and have gone to the humane society
    today. All the dogs there right now are quite old, and I'd hate to lose my new bestfriend so soon. So I'm watching the newspaper, and searching breeds online today.
    Thanks for the help!

• shrty411
    15 years ago

keep an eye on the humane society,they get dogs in all the time. Mine was only 1 year old, but it took us a while to find her..she was worth the wait!!

• seaglassic
    15 years ago

rescued dogs are the best!
    by the time a new owner gets them, they've been tested, treated and only waiting for a new home..
    I have a lab/dalmation mix...
    she's chipped, spayed, shots, tested for temperment, about food dish tolerance...
    she thinks she's people!
    loves the water but loves to be right here, next to me, even more.

• lovemosaics
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have been so busy!
    I usually do all the hospice fundraisers.......I coordinate, and have a piece of my art in it. I wasn't able to contribute any art, this time and... A woman who I work with on the fundraiser,
    had a dog she couldn't use for breeding.........she was breeding "shitty poo's!" what the hell is that anyway!????LoL!! anyway........I got this little 2 year old dog for
    $100......she is so cool! she just wants to be on my lap all the time.....a really cool thing...... I can't do anything with out her there!! She is awesome!

{{!gwi}}

Isn't she adorable???!!
    OK.......now back to work!LOl!

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Glad you got your dog! I can't see the pic. Maybe it's my computer?? Sounds like you are very good match & what have you named her? Jan

• texasfern
    15 years ago

I can't see the pic either, says it has been moved or deleted.
    Glad you got a dog.

• texaswild
    15 years ago

OMGoodness! What a precious ball of fluff. Oh, yes, I can see this dog being a spoiled rotten lap dawg. Lots of love there. Congrats.

• lovemosaics
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much! She is a doll! and so what I needed. She is limiting my life more than I expected! I don't want to be away from home long unless I can take her. It's not like having kids! You can take THEM with you everywhere!LOL!

I'm having Phototbucket problems...I'll try to post her pic again.

Sponsored